- How to stream Liverpool vs. Chelsea Friday 6:45 PM
- How to stream Real Madrid vs. Sevilla Friday 6:35 PM
- How to stream Peter ‘Kid Chocolate’ Quillin vs. Alfredo Angulo Friday 5:16 PM
- How to stream Barcelona vs. Granada Friday 4:50 PM
- ‘Atlantics’ tells a ghost story steeped with emotion and realism Friday 4:16 PM
- ‘Jojo Rabbit’ is a sweet, singular movie that loses its grip on satire Friday 3:40 PM
- Jordan Peterson is in rehab for Klonopin addiction Friday 3:34 PM
- The cat-worshipping turkey cult video, explained Friday 3:22 PM
- Despite legal threats and drama, the Area 51 desert event is on Friday 3:05 PM
- How to stream Yair Rodriguez vs. Jeremy Stephens on UFC Fight Night Friday 3:00 PM
- Twitter just launched its ‘Hide Replies’ feature Friday 1:59 PM
- How to turn off image metadata before it snitches on you Friday 1:36 PM
- The ‘Breaking Bad’ movie is coming to theaters—for one weekend only Friday 1:04 PM
- Teens recorded, shared videos of mall fight that ended in fatal stabbing Friday 12:44 PM
- How to stream Giants vs. Buccaneers in Week 3 Friday 12:31 PM
Rebecca Black’s new song isn’t awful
Could the YouTube sensation’s “Sing It” actually be, well, good?
Rebecca Black’s video for her new song “Sing It” makes me so excited because it’s not totally horrible.
The “Friday” singer released the video Monday but a YouTube glitch has the video count stuck at 303 views, meaning the site’s servers are having trouble keeping up with all the new viewers. The three-minute clip has already garnered about 60 comments, with the most popular being “WOW! her best song yet!”
And it’s true. With its beach setting, Instagram-ish filers, and plain clothing (so much plaid and jean shorts!), it looks like a glossy commercial for American Eagle’s summer line, but that’s not a bad thing. It’s almost summer break for the 14-year-old Black, and this song is probably going to be her anthem as she sips her virgin pina coladas and lays around in all of her money.
The catchy yet simple hook at the beginning (the word “woah” repeated about 1,000 times) and parent-approved lyrics (“turn it up, turn it up, play it aloud, sing it from my heart”) makes it a decent song for her teenage demographic. Her signature nasal “yeah” also features prominently.
Since “Sing It” is arguably not that bad, it may actually get some airtime. Black might finally have her second hit—though for the right reasons, this time around.
It might not be Friday, but this song certainly kicks us into a summer mood.
Photo via YouTube
A former editorial operations specialist and staff writer for the Daily Dot, Jordan Valinsky is a tech reporter and web culture commentator. His work has been published by the Week, Digiday, CNNMoney, Popular Mechanics, Vice, Mic, and Betabeat.