- YouTuber shamed for fake call with Caroline Flack after her death 8 Years Ago
- This MAGA-loving Keanu Reeves imposter isn’t fooling anyone Today 10:16 AM
- How to watch ‘Outlander’ season 5 online Today 8:00 AM
- Kobe Bryant’s complicated online legacy isn’t buried with him Today 6:00 AM
- TikTok teen’s reaction to discovering boyfriend’s cheating goes viral Saturday 4:46 PM
- This may be the creepiest Amazon review you’ll ever read Saturday 3:58 PM
- Bill Maher booed on own show over defense of Bloomberg Saturday 3:37 PM
- Vidgo provides competitive streaming options in both English and Spanish Saturday 3:34 PM
- The Sun allegedly deletes negative Caroline Flack story after her death Saturday 2:48 PM
- How to watch ‘American Idol’ season 18 Saturday 2:00 PM
- James Blake defends girlfriend Jameela Jamil amid allegations she’s faking her illnesses Saturday 1:46 PM
- Viral video purports to show doctors with guns amid coronavirus outbreak Saturday 1:07 PM
- Russian YouTubers pretend to be Greta Thunberg, share alleged prank call with Bernie Sanders Saturday 11:07 AM
- TikTok teens are shaving off their eyebrows to ‘look like’ Kendall Jenner, Bella Hadid Saturday 10:25 AM
- Wendy’s fires employees over viral TikTok sink bath Saturday 9:05 AM
Rebecca Black’s new song isn’t awful
Could the YouTube sensation’s “Sing It” actually be, well, good?
Rebecca Black’s video for her new song “Sing It” makes me so excited because it’s not totally horrible.
The “Friday” singer released the video Monday but a YouTube glitch has the video count stuck at 303 views, meaning the site’s servers are having trouble keeping up with all the new viewers. The three-minute clip has already garnered about 60 comments, with the most popular being “WOW! her best song yet!”
And it’s true. With its beach setting, Instagram-ish filers, and plain clothing (so much plaid and jean shorts!), it looks like a glossy commercial for American Eagle’s summer line, but that’s not a bad thing. It’s almost summer break for the 14-year-old Black, and this song is probably going to be her anthem as she sips her virgin pina coladas and lays around in all of her money.
The catchy yet simple hook at the beginning (the word “woah” repeated about 1,000 times) and parent-approved lyrics (“turn it up, turn it up, play it aloud, sing it from my heart”) makes it a decent song for her teenage demographic. Her signature nasal “yeah” also features prominently.
Since “Sing It” is arguably not that bad, it may actually get some airtime. Black might finally have her second hit—though for the right reasons, this time around.
It might not be Friday, but this song certainly kicks us into a summer mood.
Photo via YouTube
A former editorial operations specialist and staff writer for the Daily Dot, Jordan Valinsky is a tech reporter and web culture commentator. His work has been published by the Week, Digiday, CNNMoney, Popular Mechanics, Vice, Mic, and Betabeat.