- Teens charged with attempted arson after participating in TikTok ‘outlet challenge’ 7 Years Ago
- ‘American Dirt’ is a metaphor for a white country built on the back of immigrants Today 6:00 AM
- This woman told two students to ‘speak English’ and people are not having it Friday 9:53 PM
- Iconic 1968 drag documentary ‘The Queen’ finally released on Netflix Friday 9:29 PM
- This TikTok account for Chancellor Palpatine is hilarious Friday 8:43 PM
- Did the Space Force logo rip off Star Trek? Friday 6:24 PM
- Disabled people with service dogs say Uber, Lyft drivers are denying them rides Friday 3:25 PM
- TikTok teen famous for greasy hair ends her 8-year reign Friday 2:48 PM
- Police handcuff brown man at subway station for carrying a toy gun Friday 1:20 PM
- Fake clip of Sanders quoting infamous ‘hot chip’ tweet is duping people online Friday 1:16 PM
- The Mars Volta’s Cedric Bixler-Zavala alleges Scientologists behind dog’s death Friday 12:46 PM
- Eminem responds to critics: ‘This album was not made for the squeamish’ Friday 12:42 PM
- ‘The poet, the poem’ meme takes iconic lines and turns them into art Friday 12:40 PM
- People are making dark memes about the coronavirus Friday 12:27 PM
- Trump camp’s ‘head on a pike’ impeachment threat hit with memes Friday 11:34 AM
PSY accepts world record certificate for “Gangnam Style”
World Record Style!
PSY’s catchy “Gangnam Style” is the most-liked YouTube video in history, and now the South Korean artist has the documentation to prove it.
Guinness World Records Editor-in-Chief Craig Glenday presented the award to PSY in London during the singer’s interview with BBC Radio 1, the Guinness blog reported.
“We’re pleased to present his official certificate to such a global phenomenon,” Glenday said. “Gangnam Style is an infectious, joyous song that has brought a smile to the faces of a tenth of the world’s population, and the result is that it’s the most liked video of any kind in the history of YouTube!”
Guinness first made PSY’s record official in a September announcement, when the music video had 2,141,758 likes on YouTube, breaking the previous record of 1,574,963 held by LMFAO’s “Party Rock Anthem” video.
Since then, “Gangnam Style” has more than doubled in likes, climbing to 4,911,081.
The Guinness blog reports PSY said he was honored to receive the certificate.
“This is the first certificate I’ve ever had… I didn’t get one at school,” he said.
That Guinness World Records certificate may soon be joined by several more. PSY’s single also holds the honor of being the most viewed K-Pop video on YouTube, and marks the first time a South Korean song has been #1 on iTunes.
Image via PSY/YouTube
Lauren Rae Orsini is a web culture reporter who specializes in anime and the business of fandom. Her work has been published by Forbes and Business Insider.