- ‘Friends’ gets reunion special on HBO Max, fans go wild Friday 7:37 PM
- Why you should drop everything and start reading ‘Lore Olympus’ Friday 6:27 PM
- ‘Boogaloo’ memes are trying to organize a second civil war—and they’re spreading fast Friday 3:48 PM
- People are disturbed by these McDonald’s-scented candles Friday 3:47 PM
- Season 2 of ‘The Witcher’ is in production Friday 3:16 PM
- Here are some cringey billboards Bloomberg ran in Arizona Friday 2:51 PM
- PewDiePie returns to YouTube after 37-day hiatus Friday 2:01 PM
- Why was a Republican Party Facebook page co-managed by someone in Turkmenistan? Friday 1:26 PM
- The shorthand guide to ‘Star Wars: The Clone Wars’ Friday 1:07 PM
- Congress urges Tinder to screen for sex offenders Friday 1:03 PM
- Video shows 9-year-old threatening suicide after being bullied Friday 12:01 PM
- Ex-Goldman Sachs CEO says he might vote Trump because Sanders is too mean to him Friday 11:40 AM
- Twitch streamer says she was banned for body painting Friday 11:39 AM
- Did BTS fans really cause TikTok to crash? (updated) Friday 11:08 AM
- People are selling homemade tampons on Etsy Friday 11:01 AM
Prince Harry, the grandson of Queen Elizabeth II, and American actress Meghan Markle are engaged, the royal family announced Monday morning.
The announcement first came from Clarence House, which revealed that Prince Harry and Markle became engaged earlier in the month.
The Prince of Wales is delighted to announce the engagement of Prince Harry to Ms. Meghan Markle. pic.twitter.com/zdaHR4mcY6— Clarence House (@ClarenceHouse) November 27, 2017
Speaking to reporters, Prince Charles—Prince Harry’s father—expressed delight at the engagement.
“We’re thrilled, for both of them and we hope they’ll be very happy indeed,” Prince Charles said.
Prince Charles says he's "very happy indeed" about Prince Harry's engagement to Meghan Markle pic.twitter.com/GJayxreM8G— Sky News (@SkyNews) November 27, 2017
Prince Harry and Markle, who currently stars in the USA series Suits, have been dating for more than a year. While they only made their first public appearance as a couple in September, Prince Harry previously confirmed their relationship last year in a statement that decreed the racist and sexist harassment and abuse that Markle, who is biracial, received in the U.K. press and from the public.
Other members of the royal family soon posted their own congratulatory messages to Prince Harry and Markle. The Twitter account for Kensington Palace provided more details on the engagement—announcing an upcoming interview with the newly engaged couple—and reactions from Markle’s parents, Harry’s older brother Prince William, and Prince William’s wife Kate Middleton.
The Prince of Wales has announced the engagement of Prince Harry and Ms. Meghan Markle. pic.twitter.com/rtlAnFCWTf— Kensington Palace (@KensingtonRoyal) November 27, 2017
Prince Harry has informed The Queen and other close members of The Royal Family.— Kensington Palace (@KensingtonRoyal) November 27, 2017
Ms. Markle's parents, Mr. Thomas Markle and Doria Ragland have wished the couple 'a lifetime of happiness.' pic.twitter.com/H4kpTgpkYE— Kensington Palace (@KensingtonRoyal) November 27, 2017
“‘We are very excited for Harry and Meghan,” the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge said in a statement. “It has been wonderful getting to know Meghan and to see how happy she and Harry are together.”
Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip also offered their congratulations on social media.
The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh are delighted for the couple and wish them every happiness. https://t.co/aAJ23uSbao— The Royal Family (@RoyalFamily) November 27, 2017
It’s been more than six years since the wedding of Prince William and Middleton, and Twitter is already getting excited about the prospect of Prince Harry’s wedding next year along with their fair share of jokes.
This is your reminder that Meghan Markle was literally in a Hallmark movie. So.— Linda Holmes (@nprmonkeysee) November 27, 2017
Congratulations to the Wikipedia page of the USA Network series Suits— Jackson McHenry (@McHenryJD) November 27, 2017
did someone say royal wedding pic.twitter.com/O0123fnouo— Dave Itzkoff (@ditzkoff) November 27, 2017
We got us a Black princess ya'll. You really can't tell me a damn thing for the rest of the day because it won't matter. Shout out to Prince Harry and Meghan Markle. Their wedding will be my Super Bowl. pic.twitter.com/WmBnGm5AuZ— GirlTyler (@sheistyler) November 27, 2017
Anyone Today: Hi h--— Justin uoıʇɔɐɹɟ (@JustinCentric) November 27, 2017
Me: MEGHAN MARKLE star of USA's Suits is marrying Prince Harry next Spring! He asked for her parent's blessing! It's literally going to be the GREATEST DAY ON THE FACE OF THE PLANET. Oh I can't wait for the pictures! Who do you think she'll wear! She is AMAZ pic.twitter.com/8QXPcyqnb8
The wedding is scheduled for spring 2018.
Michelle Jaworski is a staff writer and the resident Game of Thrones expert at the Daily Dot. She covers entertainment, geek culture, and pop culture and has brought her knowledge to conventions like Con of Thrones. She is based in New Jersey.