- Trump continues to tweet as House gears up to condemn his racist tweets 2 Years Ago
- Your therapist probably wouldn’t approve of this meme 2 Years Ago
- Batman Talisman finally lets the villains rule Gotham City Today 8:22 AM
- Controversial #ICEBae divides social media Today 8:22 AM
- Why Veronica Mars doesn’t drop any F-bombs in Hulu’s adult-rated revival Today 7:11 AM
- Netflix’s ‘Taco Chronicles’ will make your heart soar and mouth water Today 7:00 AM
- The view of Prime Day from Amazon’s warehouse strike Today 6:30 AM
- Conspiracy theorists think underground nukes are to blame for California’s earthquakes Today 6:30 AM
- How to follow along with San Diego Comic Con online Today 6:00 AM
- How to live stream the International Champions Cup Today 5:00 AM
- A police union is urging its officers to post ‘The Punisher’ logo Monday 7:33 PM
- Redditors call for a Nestlé boycott through memes Monday 6:16 PM
- How a 10-second Disney jingle became a meme in Thailand Monday 4:48 PM
- Instagram users share photos showing gruesome killing of 17-year-old Bianca Devins Monday 4:33 PM
- The horror game banned for mocking China’s president probably isn’t coming back Monday 3:31 PM
The couple became engaged earlier this month.
Prince Harry, the grandson of Queen Elizabeth II, and American actress Meghan Markle are engaged, the royal family announced Monday morning.
The announcement first came from Clarence House, which revealed that Prince Harry and Markle became engaged earlier in the month.
The Prince of Wales is delighted to announce the engagement of Prince Harry to Ms. Meghan Markle. pic.twitter.com/zdaHR4mcY6— Clarence House (@ClarenceHouse) November 27, 2017
Speaking to reporters, Prince Charles—Prince Harry’s father—expressed delight at the engagement.
“We’re thrilled, for both of them and we hope they’ll be very happy indeed,” Prince Charles said.
Prince Charles says he's "very happy indeed" about Prince Harry's engagement to Meghan Markle pic.twitter.com/GJayxreM8G— Sky News (@SkyNews) November 27, 2017
Prince Harry and Markle, who currently stars in the USA series Suits, have been dating for more than a year. While they only made their first public appearance as a couple in September, Prince Harry previously confirmed their relationship last year in a statement that decreed the racist and sexist harassment and abuse that Markle, who is biracial, received in the U.K. press and from the public.
Other members of the royal family soon posted their own congratulatory messages to Prince Harry and Markle. The Twitter account for Kensington Palace provided more details on the engagement—announcing an upcoming interview with the newly engaged couple—and reactions from Markle’s parents, Harry’s older brother Prince William, and Prince William’s wife Kate Middleton.
The Prince of Wales has announced the engagement of Prince Harry and Ms. Meghan Markle. pic.twitter.com/rtlAnFCWTf— Kensington Palace (@KensingtonRoyal) November 27, 2017
Prince Harry has informed The Queen and other close members of The Royal Family.— Kensington Palace (@KensingtonRoyal) November 27, 2017
Ms. Markle's parents, Mr. Thomas Markle and Doria Ragland have wished the couple 'a lifetime of happiness.' pic.twitter.com/H4kpTgpkYE— Kensington Palace (@KensingtonRoyal) November 27, 2017
“‘We are very excited for Harry and Meghan,” the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge said in a statement. “It has been wonderful getting to know Meghan and to see how happy she and Harry are together.”
Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip also offered their congratulations on social media.
The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh are delighted for the couple and wish them every happiness. https://t.co/aAJ23uSbao— The Royal Family (@RoyalFamily) November 27, 2017
It’s been more than six years since the wedding of Prince William and Middleton, and Twitter is already getting excited about the prospect of Prince Harry’s wedding next year along with their fair share of jokes.
This is your reminder that Meghan Markle was literally in a Hallmark movie. So.— Linda Holmes (@nprmonkeysee) November 27, 2017
Congratulations to the Wikipedia page of the USA Network series Suits— Jackson McHenry (@McHenryJD) November 27, 2017
did someone say royal wedding pic.twitter.com/O0123fnouo— Dave Itzkoff (@ditzkoff) November 27, 2017
We got us a Black princess ya'll. You really can't tell me a damn thing for the rest of the day because it won't matter. Shout out to Prince Harry and Meghan Markle. Their wedding will be my Super Bowl. pic.twitter.com/WmBnGm5AuZ— GirlTyler (@sheistyler) November 27, 2017
Anyone Today: Hi h--— Justin uoıʇɔɐɹɟ (@JustinCentric) November 27, 2017
Me: MEGHAN MARKLE star of USA's Suits is marrying Prince Harry next Spring! He asked for her parent's blessing! It's literally going to be the GREATEST DAY ON THE FACE OF THE PLANET. Oh I can't wait for the pictures! Who do you think she'll wear! She is AMAZ pic.twitter.com/8QXPcyqnb8
The wedding is scheduled for spring 2018.
Michelle Jaworski is a staff writer and the resident Game of Thrones expert at the Daily Dot. She covers entertainment, geek culture, and pop culture and has brought her knowledge to conventions like Con of Thrones. She is based in New Jersey.