Photo via vallgall/Flickr

Report: Prince died of opioid overdose

Toxicology reports have not yet been made official.

Feb 29, 2020, 5:59 am*

Streaming

 

Ramon Ramirez

Prince died from an opioid overdose, according to the Minneapolis Star Tribune

The Associated Press also reported as much on Thursday, citing separate sources within law enforcement. While no official autopsy results have been made public, the newspaper reports that the ongoing investigation has centered around Prince’s apparent addiction to painkillers.

The 57-year-old musician’s shocking passing on April 21 submerged social media. The Star Tribune had previously reported that Prince died just before meeting with doctors about his opioid use.

One day before passing, Prince (born Prince Rogers Nelson) had been treated for fatigue, in addition to withdrawal symptoms from percocet, an opioid pain medication. He was found unresponsive the next morning in his home elevator by two Paisley Park staffers.

On Thursday the news became an instant, surging Twitter trend in the United States. 

H/T Minneapolis Star Tribune 

Share this article
*First Published: Jun 2, 2016, 2:01 pm