- Cooking Mama’s return whips up a fresh batch of memes Tuesday 8:18 PM
- Influencer body-shames model, Photoshops photo of self to ‘prove point’ Tuesday 7:27 PM
- Boosie Badazz goes on transphobic rant about Dwyane Wade’s daughter Tuesday 6:34 PM
- Royal Family’s website accidentally links to porn instead of charity Tuesday 5:39 PM
- Republican senator spreads false conspiracy about coronavirus Tuesday 5:11 PM
- New DNA technology could help exonerate Black man serving life sentence Tuesday 4:24 PM
- ‘SNL’s’ Kenan Thompson to host the White House Correspondents’ Dinner Tuesday 3:58 PM
- Singer Summer Walker dragged for insensitive HIV comments Tuesday 2:39 PM
- This video of a teddy bear getting steam cleaned makes a perfect meme Tuesday 2:27 PM
- Ted Cruz goes on Twitter tirade over proposed vasectomy bill Tuesday 2:22 PM
- Billie Eilish says she’s stopped reading Instagram comments Tuesday 2:13 PM
- Christian group blames satanists for Twitter poll results Tuesday 1:41 PM
- Coronavirus has pandemic-themed video games topping charts Tuesday 12:58 PM
- Bloomberg said kids are drawn to socialism because they think it involves social media Tuesday 12:55 PM
- Jake Paul gives ill-informed advice on how to deal with anxiety Tuesday 12:25 PM
A new Pee-wee Herman movie is coming to Netflix
Production is set to begin this year.
The sequel to Pee-wee’s Big Adventure is getting a new home.
The long-rumored film is going to Netflix in all of its territories after being in development at Universal. Judd Apatow, whose name has been attached to the film for some time, is still set to produce, with Paul Reubens putting his character’s signature gray suit and bowtie back on.
Titled Pee-wee’s Big Holiday, Pee-wee Herman will take his first holiday after a meeting with a stranger, and Netflix described it as “an epic story of friendship and destiny.” There’s no premiere date set for the streaming site, but according to Netflix, production will begin early this year. Director John Lee (Inside Amy Schumer, Broad City) will helm the film and Paul Rust wrote the script.
Picking up the movie for Netflix was a no-brainer.
“We didn’t hesitate for a moment knowing that Pee-wee’s Big Holiday was such a passion project for Paul and Judd and we are delighted by the opportunity to introduce such a beloved character to a new generation,” Netflix Chief Content Officer Ted Sarandos said.
Apatow called it “a dream come true,” while Reubens noted that he and Apatow had thought about the project for years.
“The world was much different back then—Netflix was waiting by the mailbox for red envelopes to arrive,” Reubens said. “The future is here. Get used to it. Bowtie is the new black.”
H/T Vulture | Illustration by Jason Reed
Michelle Jaworski is a staff writer and the resident Game of Thrones expert at the Daily Dot. She covers entertainment, geek culture, and pop culture and has brought her knowledge to conventions like Con of Thrones. She is based in New Jersey.