- Cara Delevingne calls out Justin Bieber for ‘ranking’ wife Hailey’s friends Friday 9:07 PM
- Fans defend Jenna Marbles after some people claimed she mistreated her dogs in a recent video Friday 8:37 PM
- ‘Friends’ gets reunion special on HBO Max, fans go wild Friday 7:37 PM
- Why you should drop everything and start reading ‘Lore Olympus’ Friday 6:27 PM
- ‘Boogaloo’ memes are trying to organize a second civil war—and they’re spreading fast Friday 3:48 PM
- People are disturbed by these McDonald’s-scented candles Friday 3:47 PM
- Season 2 of ‘The Witcher’ is in production Friday 3:16 PM
- Here are some cringey billboards Bloomberg ran in Arizona Friday 2:51 PM
- PewDiePie returns to YouTube after 37-day hiatus Friday 2:01 PM
- Why was a Republican Party Facebook page co-managed by someone in Turkmenistan? Friday 1:26 PM
- The shorthand guide to ‘Star Wars: The Clone Wars’ Friday 1:07 PM
- Congress urges Tinder to screen for sex offenders Friday 1:03 PM
- Video shows 9-year-old threatening suicide after being bullied Friday 12:01 PM
- Ex-Goldman Sachs CEO says he might vote Trump because Sanders is too mean to him Friday 11:40 AM
- Twitch streamer says she was banned for body painting Friday 11:39 AM
Look! Up in the Tumblr! It’s Otis the Corgi!
Who wouldn’t reblog a dog with such heroic powers?
It comes in the form of a four-legged, furry sidekick named Otis.
“He’s made a huge impact on my happiness, and I think seeing his antics on the Internet makes others happy too,” Grelle told the Daily Dot about his new puppy.
And by “others,” Grelle means the more than 4,800 people on Tumblr who have liked, reblogged, and commented on a Photoshopped photo of the dog standing on its hind legs, altered to add a superhero’s cape.
The image has since achieved meme status, reaching the front page of Reddit today where is collected more than 100 comments from people praising the pooch, showing off their own memes, and sharing their corgi adventures.
“My corgi once wore a cape and tripped on it and fell down the stairs,” wrote sealcouch. “Three years later, he still won’t go down stairs.”
Grelle purchased the dog from a “very lovely older couple from Alabama” who had two dozen corgis prowling around their house. He came up with the name Otis after hearing Otis Redding’s “(Sittin’ On) The Dock of the Bay” on Pandora. While the dog gives Grelle “the warm fuzzies,” it also causes a few headaches, he said.
“They have tiny bladders and you have to take them out very often,” Grelle said. “Plus I walk him three times a day. This is especially hard for me due to my Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. My back and ankle tend to hurt. But it’s all worth it.
“He motivates me to get exercise, he is better than an antidepressant, and just showing pictures and videos of him makes loads of other people happy. The experience has been fantastic.”
While Grelle is proud of Otis’ new found Internet fame, he has even bigger plans for his puppy.
“I want Otis to be the next Maru,” he said. “I think he would make a great Internet ambassador. I just have to teach him how to jump into boxes.”
Photo by Benjamin Grelle
Fernando Alfonso III served as an early Reddit and 4chan reporter and the Daily Dot’s first art director until 2016. He’s gone on to report at Lexington’s Herald-Leader and at the Houston Chronicle.