- New website will endlessly generate fake faces thanks to AI 7 Years Ago
- Man fakes getting stood up at Outback Steakhouse 7 Years Ago
- FCC looks to tackle robocalls and spoofed texts Today 2:57 PM
- How to protect yourself from the data breach that affected 744 million accounts Today 12:56 PM
- How to stream Rob Brant vs. Khasan Baysangurov online for free Today 12:21 PM
- No, Ocasio-Cortez doesn’t have her boyfriend on her payroll Today 12:20 PM
- Writers want this book canceled for misgendering its protagonist Today 12:15 PM
- Trump Jr’s meme about his dad’s border wall doesn’t get how Congress works Today 11:44 AM
- FBI reportedly looking into Ryan Adams’ communications with underage girl Today 11:25 AM
- Trump does Chinese accent, declares national emergency, bewilders the internet Today 11:21 AM
- Chrissy Teigen throws shade at Logan Paul-Kaitlin Bennett pairing Today 10:48 AM
- Trump says ‘I didn’t need to do this’ while declaring national emergency Today 10:48 AM
- Women sue border patrol for detaining them for speaking Spanish Today 10:20 AM
- Tana Mongeau’s switch to Twitch has not gone well Today 9:58 AM
- Trans YouTube streamer shot in leg by security guard (updated) Today 9:25 AM
If you squint hard enough at these nude, Renaissance mash-ups of Newt Gingrich, it almost looks like the real thing, at least in the eyes of the Tumblr’s creator.
Would you like to see Newt Gingrich naked?
That would be the most logical explanation as to why Newt’s Nudes, a three-day-old Tumblr blog is trending. The site features the GOP candidate’s cherubic cheeks and doughy chin superimposed on likewise padded Renaissance bodies.
According to the site’s premise, these masterpieces were all personally commissioned by the politician back in 1999. In actuality, though, they’re mash-ups cranked out by a Midwestern in his mid-20’s, who asked us simply to call him Phil.
“I don’t think the premise of Newt commissioning nude art of himself is too far outside of the scope of possibility,” he told the Daily Dot in an email. “He strikes me as a sort of a eccentric weirdo.”
Phil told us that it only took him an hour-and-a-half to create his parody blog.
“I had some free time last weekend and I bought the domain, made a Photoshop template, and created a Tumblr page,” he said. “With the template I can crank out a picture in under 5 minutes.”
However, he said his efforts have been paying off tenfold in terms of traffic. After Boing Boing profiled the site, he said he began receiving thousands of hits from Facebook, Reddit, and Twitter.
“It is still experiencing exponential growth,” he said. “I’m on pace to crack 40,000 unique visitors to the site by noon EST.”
Phil, who identifies as a liberal/progressive, said he doesn’t share Gingrich’s politics but still appreciates the politician.
“I can appreciate Newt for his political prowess in the 90’s with his whole ‘Contract with America’ thing. He was a good foil for Clinton in a similar way that Boehner is a good foil for Obama,” he said.
Phil said he’s especially impressed with the way Gingrich positions himself as the Christian candidate. First there’s the fact that Gingrich left his first two wives for younger women, and then, well, there’s Phil’s Tumblr.
“I’m certainly surprised by Newt’s resurgence, especially with all the naked paintings of him on the Internet,” he joked.
Lauren Rae Orsini is a web culture reporter who specializes in anime and the business of fandom. Her work has been published by Forbes and Business Insider.