- Fans call out Madonna for edited Eurovision video Tuesday 9:36 PM
- Partnered Twitch streamer temporarily banned for airing troll’s racist message Tuesday 8:45 PM
- Reddit theory says fans are wrong about who won ‘Game of Thrones’ Tuesday 6:52 PM
- Elon Musk hires ‘absolute unit’ sheep meme creator to be Tesla’s social media manager Tuesday 6:12 PM
- Jason Momoa stands by his Khaleesi after the ‘Game of Thrones’ finale Tuesday 4:05 PM
- Airbnb, 23andMe partner for creepy heritage travel recommendations Tuesday 3:26 PM
- Rep. Katie Porter goes viral again for trouncing Ben Carson (updated) Tuesday 3:26 PM
- This deepfake takes Bill Hader’s Schwarzenegger impression to the next level Tuesday 2:58 PM
- Wanda Sykes rails against Trump and offers much-needed perspective in ‘Not Normal’ Tuesday 2:41 PM
- Man arrested after allegedly threatening to shoot YouTube employees Tuesday 2:13 PM
- Some House Dems are backing away from the Save the Internet Act Tuesday 1:40 PM
- Thousands sign petition calling for Danny DeVito to play Wolverine Tuesday 1:02 PM
- Jason Mitchell fired from ‘Desperados’ and ‘The Chi’ after misconduct allegations Tuesday 12:36 PM
- Police raid Black woman’s house after white neighbor complains about loud Malcolm X speeches Tuesday 12:20 PM
- ‘Transfixed’ says it’s a ‘breakthrough’ series, but it still fetishizes trans bodies Tuesday 11:04 AM
If you squint hard enough at these nude, Renaissance mash-ups of Newt Gingrich, it almost looks like the real thing, at least in the eyes of the Tumblr’s creator.
Would you like to see Newt Gingrich naked?
That would be the most logical explanation as to why Newt’s Nudes, a three-day-old Tumblr blog is trending. The site features the GOP candidate’s cherubic cheeks and doughy chin superimposed on likewise padded Renaissance bodies.
According to the site’s premise, these masterpieces were all personally commissioned by the politician back in 1999. In actuality, though, they’re mash-ups cranked out by a Midwestern in his mid-20’s, who asked us simply to call him Phil.
“I don’t think the premise of Newt commissioning nude art of himself is too far outside of the scope of possibility,” he told the Daily Dot in an email. “He strikes me as a sort of a eccentric weirdo.”
Phil told us that it only took him an hour-and-a-half to create his parody blog.
“I had some free time last weekend and I bought the domain, made a Photoshop template, and created a Tumblr page,” he said. “With the template I can crank out a picture in under 5 minutes.”
However, he said his efforts have been paying off tenfold in terms of traffic. After Boing Boing profiled the site, he said he began receiving thousands of hits from Facebook, Reddit, and Twitter.
“It is still experiencing exponential growth,” he said. “I’m on pace to crack 40,000 unique visitors to the site by noon EST.”
Phil, who identifies as a liberal/progressive, said he doesn’t share Gingrich’s politics but still appreciates the politician.
“I can appreciate Newt for his political prowess in the 90’s with his whole ‘Contract with America’ thing. He was a good foil for Clinton in a similar way that Boehner is a good foil for Obama,” he said.
Phil said he’s especially impressed with the way Gingrich positions himself as the Christian candidate. First there’s the fact that Gingrich left his first two wives for younger women, and then, well, there’s Phil’s Tumblr.
“I’m certainly surprised by Newt’s resurgence, especially with all the naked paintings of him on the Internet,” he joked.
Lauren Rae Orsini is a web culture reporter who specializes in anime and the business of fandom. Her work has been published by Forbes and Business Insider.