- No, that guy didn’t really fly alone on a Delta flight Today 4:31 PM
- Fans are paying to meet their favorite YouTubers online through pilot program Today 2:54 PM
- Behold: 12 straight hours of ‘Stranger Things” Alexei drinking a Slurpee Today 2:05 PM
- Influencer couple under fire for using holy water to splash genitals in Bali Today 1:29 PM
- These are the 10 best villains DC comics has ever conceived Today 1:11 PM
- The Daily Wire accused of stealing art design from pop artist for its merchandise Today 12:09 PM
- Instagram model Rianne Meijer on keeping it real with her followers Today 10:52 AM
- How to stream Chelsea vs. Leicester City Today 8:30 AM
- Florida man arrested after allegedly texting girlfriend his mass shooting plans Today 8:27 AM
- How to stream Real Madrid vs. Celta Vigo Today 8:20 AM
- How to stream Seahawks vs. Vikings in NFL preseason action Today 8:00 AM
- How to stream Steelers vs. Chiefs in NFL preseason action Today 6:30 AM
- Chuck E. Cheese recycles pizza is the conspiracy theory that won’t die Today 6:30 AM
- How to stream Cowboys vs Rams in NFL preseason action Today 6:00 AM
- Cómo ver el UFC 241: Daniel Cormier vs. Stipe Miocic Today 6:00 AM
Mulder, Scully, more spark our deepest paranoia in jolting new ‘X-Files’ trailer
Welcome to your 21st-century nightmare.
At last the trailer for Fox’s revival of The X-Files is here, and it’s time to relive your most delicious ’90s nightmares because it looks like the whole crew is back—and things are weirder than ever.
Mulder, Scully, Skinner, and even a certain Morley-smoking mystery man are all back for the new series, and no one’s aged a day. Mulder looks typically haggard, but we have faith Scully will whip him into shape soon enough—if she can keep the breathlessness out of her voice, that is.
The best part of this trailer is that it feels totally contemporary without ever losing sight of what makes the X-Files great. From the “fire sale” prediction voiced by a member of Anonymous to references to the National Security Agency and government surveillance, to a stalwart military officer with echoes of Chelsea Manning and Edward Snowden, this trailer rapidly and easily makes clear that we’re all finally living in Mulder’s reality.
Along with the aliens, of course.
Are we excited for January, or are we terrified? We don’t know, but we’ll be tuned in to find out.
Screengrab via Fox/YouTube
Aja Romano is a geek culture reporter and fandom expert. Their reporting at the Daily Dot covered everything from Harry Potter and anime to Tumblr and Gamergate. Romano joined Vox as a staff reporter in 2016.