- U.S. gamers create as much carbon dioxide as 5 million cars 2 Years Ago
- Disney+ TV characters like Ms. Marvel will appear in MCU movies 2 Years Ago
- Apple TV+ offers something for younger viewers with ‘Helpsters’ 2 Years Ago
- How to watch ‘The Mandalorian’ Today 7:34 AM
- ‘Snoopy in Space’ is a delightful kids show that parents will love too Today 7:08 AM
- How to watch ‘Lady and the Tramp’ Today 7:00 AM
- Netflix’s ‘Let It Snow’ delivers a stocking full of rom-com coal Today 6:41 AM
- Student allegedly posted roommate’s ‘missing’ flyer on Instagram before being charged with her murder Monday 11:45 PM
- Reddit AITA: Man verbally abused partner through cat impersonations Monday 7:18 PM
- Facebook finally lets you kill distracting navigation bar notifications Monday 6:14 PM
- Artist says Thinx underwear campaign ripped off their memes (updated) Monday 5:48 PM
- Google reportedly gathering millions of Americans’ personal health records Monday 5:00 PM
- Trina goes off on Walmart shopper who allegedly called her the ‘N-word’ Monday 4:14 PM
- Bored of Helvetica? iOS users finally have some new font options Monday 4:00 PM
- Amid panic, YouTube says new terms of service won’t impact creators Monday 3:56 PM
That’s how the trailer for Darren Aronofsky’s new movie Mother! begins. The director who brought us Black Swan and Requiem for a Dream is dipping his toe into full-blown horror territory with his latest feature, and he’s brought in lots of Oscar-level performers to star. Michelle Pfeiffer and Ed Harris play a strange couple who come to stay at the house, and Variety reports that Kristen Wiig is somewhere in the mix too (though you don’t see her in the trailer).
The clip left Twitter shook. Who left that stain on the carpet? What is that couple up to on the bed? Why is Jennifer Lawrence always cast with significantly-older romantic partners?
But equally vocal are the people excited to see Michelle Pfeiffer back on the big screen:
Michelle Pfeiffer saying "You give and you give and you give, and it's just never enough" in the mother! trailer is my new favorite thing— Chris Evangelista (@cevangelista413) August 8, 2017
The scariest part of the "Mother!" trailer is wondering if Michelle Pfeiffer is going to disappear again for 10 years without any warning.— Louis Virtel (@louisvirtel) August 8, 2017
No matter your reason for being at the edge of your seat, this seems like it could be the fall’s first good scary movie.
Mother! hits theaters September 15.
Christine Friar is a writer and editor in New York who focuses on streaming entertainment and internet culture. Her work has appeared in the Awl, the Fader, New York Magazine, Paper Magazine, Vogue, Elle, and more.