- Majority of threats made since El Paso and Dayton shootings have been made online Thursday 8:00 PM
- Miley Cyrus tweets about cheating allegations and penis cake drama Thursday 6:32 PM
- ‘The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance’ dazzles with a timely tale Thursday 6:00 PM
- The DOJ emailed a white nationalist blog post to immigration judges Thursday 5:31 PM
- The Amazon rainforest is on fire–and people are using memes to cope Thursday 4:11 PM
- Microsoft contractors listened in on Xbox users Thursday 2:15 PM
- Anti-vaxxer assaults pro-vaccine lawmaker on Facebook Live (updated) Thursday 2:15 PM
- Oreos licked by singer Lewis Capaldi are being auctioned off on eBay Thursday 1:54 PM
- Zach Braff predicted Sean Spicer would be on ‘Dancing With the Stars’ 2 years ago Thursday 1:38 PM
- NYPD sergeant who watched Eric Garner die punished with lost vacation days Thursday 1:27 PM
- Brie Larson haters have a meltdown over a joke about Thor’s hammer Thursday 1:26 PM
- This comedian attempted to make fun of women on Twitter—and it did not go over well Thursday 1:04 PM
- Logan Paul wants to help the Amazon rainforest Thursday 12:36 PM
- Nutaku announces redesign and filters for LGBTQ porn games (updated) Thursday 12:25 PM
- This video of dozens of inflatable mattresses taking off in the wind is perfect Thursday 12:20 PM
The Morning GIF: Under lock and key
Tumblr has more tumbler GIFs than you’ll know what to do with.
Here at the Daily Dot, we swap GIF images with each other every morning. Now we’re looping you in. In the Morning GIF, we feature a popular—or just plain cool—GIF we found on Reddit, Canvas, or elsewhere on the Internet.
Fracking keys: How do they work?
Apparently, nobody on the Internet has that delightful Reader’s Digest book which explains how everything in your house works and how to fix it when it doesn’t. I read it when I was 8 and have ruined many a credit card since successfully breaking into my own apartment when I’ve forgotten my keys. Some things you just never forget.
For those of you who’d rather get home in the more basic “use key to unlock door” way, Tumblr has you covered. Now you can use a key armed with more than mere mystic faith that the little lock elves will recognize it as a talisman of power and let you in. There are nearly as many explanatory key GIFs as there are door locks in Honda Civics (i.e., five or so) and we’ve got the most popular.
G: ok so I never knew how many fucking people don’t know how keys work
G: because if that fucking key gif scrolls down my goddamned dash one more time…
G: I LEARNED THIS FROM SESAME STREET BITCHES, WHERE WERE YOU?
L: INORITE? HOW DO PEOPLE NOT KNOW ABOUT TUMBLERS?
L: MAYBE IT’S THE IRONY?
G: ON A SITE
The Bored Ninja has an animated version, for those who prefer bright primary colors. Nice work on the springs, boys.
And Reddit’s favorite image site Imgur has an actual key in an actual lock. No foofy CGI for that crowd, thankyouverymuch! The 348,440 views collected over seven months make this the grand old GIF of keydom, the undisputed ruler.
Wait! Not so fast. There’s one more Key, and this is clearly the key to Tumblr’s K-pop obsessed heart. This one:
Lorraine Murphy is an Ottawa-based cybersecurity journalist and founding editor of the Cryptosphere. She has a keen interest in WikiLeaks and web culture, and her bylines have appeared in Salon, Vanity Fair, Serious Eats, and elsewhere.