- ‘Stranger Things’ star’s new Netflix prank show is receiving backlash Today 9:04 AM
- How to watch ‘City on a Hill’ for free Today 8:00 AM
- How to watch ‘Euphoria’ for free Today 7:00 AM
- Meet the home brewer turning beer into a case for net neutrality Today 6:30 AM
- How to watch the U.S. vs. Chile at the World Cup for free Today 6:15 AM
- 15 teen movies on Netflix that will make you laugh, cry, and cringe Today 6:00 AM
- How to watch Estrella TV online for free Today 5:00 AM
- People are roasting this ‘traditional’ take on marriage with a hilarious meme Saturday 5:17 PM
- The internet just collectively realized that the Neopets of the world must be hungry Saturday 4:00 PM
- Alt-right message board 8chan was served a search warrant Saturday 3:06 PM
- O.J. Simpson just joined Twitter in the most bizarre fashion Saturday 1:20 PM
- Prominent phone-hacking firm says it can unlock any iPhone for law enforcement Saturday 12:39 PM
- Hundreds of police officers belong to extremist Facebook groups, investigation finds Saturday 9:31 AM
- How to watch Tyson Fury vs. Tom Schwarz online Saturday 8:00 AM
- ‘Late Night’ is a disappointing, tepid comedy Saturday 7:00 AM
Tumblr has more tumbler GIFs than you’ll know what to do with.
Here at the Daily Dot, we swap GIF images with each other every morning. Now we’re looping you in. In the Morning GIF, we feature a popular—or just plain cool—GIF we found on Reddit, Canvas, or elsewhere on the Internet.
Fracking keys: How do they work?
Apparently, nobody on the Internet has that delightful Reader’s Digest book which explains how everything in your house works and how to fix it when it doesn’t. I read it when I was 8 and have ruined many a credit card since successfully breaking into my own apartment when I’ve forgotten my keys. Some things you just never forget.
For those of you who’d rather get home in the more basic “use key to unlock door” way, Tumblr has you covered. Now you can use a key armed with more than mere mystic faith that the little lock elves will recognize it as a talisman of power and let you in. There are nearly as many explanatory key GIFs as there are door locks in Honda Civics (i.e., five or so) and we’ve got the most popular.
G: ok so I never knew how many fucking people don’t know how keys work
G: because if that fucking key gif scrolls down my goddamned dash one more time…
G: I LEARNED THIS FROM SESAME STREET BITCHES, WHERE WERE YOU?
L: INORITE? HOW DO PEOPLE NOT KNOW ABOUT TUMBLERS?
L: MAYBE IT’S THE IRONY?
G: ON A SITE
The Bored Ninja has an animated version, for those who prefer bright primary colors. Nice work on the springs, boys.
And Reddit’s favorite image site Imgur has an actual key in an actual lock. No foofy CGI for that crowd, thankyouverymuch! The 348,440 views collected over seven months make this the grand old GIF of keydom, the undisputed ruler.
Wait! Not so fast. There’s one more Key, and this is clearly the key to Tumblr’s K-pop obsessed heart. This one:
Lorraine Murphy is an Ottawa-based cybersecurity journalist and founding editor of the Cryptosphere. She has a keen interest in WikiLeaks and web culture, and her bylines have appeared in Salon, Vanity Fair, Serious Eats, and elsewhere.