- Jeremy Renner asks nicely for Sony to let Spider-Man back in the MCU 7 Years Ago
- The best and safest torrenting sites you should be using in 2019 7 Years Ago
- ‘Beyoncé’s Assistant for a Day’ creator is releasing more games on storytelling app Yarn Today 1:54 PM
- Why does everyone keep falling for that Instagram and Facebook hoax? Today 1:46 PM
- A bunch of celebrities fell for that viral Instagram hoax Today 1:17 PM
- Former Die Antwoord crew member says video shows ‘homophobic attack’ Today 1:13 PM
- How to stream all the MLS Rivalry Week matches Today 1:13 PM
- Nevada officials issue warnings for people prepping to ‘Storm Area 51’ Today 12:55 PM
- These are the 8 best fighting games available today Today 12:43 PM
- Pluto TV and the NFL launch the NFL Channel Today 12:40 PM
- Trump: ‘I am the chosen one’ Today 12:33 PM
- Video shows arrest of 15-year-old who threatened school shooting online Today 12:11 PM
- Woman finds massive diamond after watching YouTube video on how to find diamonds Today 11:30 AM
- Up to 20 states are banding together to probe Facebook, Google Today 11:08 AM
- Get your tinker on with the Electronic Games Advent Calendar Today 10:51 AM
The Morning GIF: Happy birthday, Bob Ross!
The Joy of Painting host would have turned 70 today.
Here at the Daily Dot, we swap GIF images with each other every morning. Now we’re looping you in. In the Morning GIF, we feature a popular—or just plain cool—GIF we found on Reddit, Canvas, or elsewhere on the Internet.
Bob Ross, PBS’s favorite artist, would have turned 70 today. The incredibly popular oil painter hosted The Joy of Painting, which ran nationally on PBS throughout the ’80s and early ’90s. His idiosyncratic, authentic, and defiantly innocent charm was magnetic even to non-artists in the Age of Irony. His catchphrases entered the lexicon, as everyone from Sesame Street to SNL satirized happy little landscapes filled with happy little trees and happy little skies filled with happy little birds and happy little clouds.
Ross’s philosophy was as simple and clear as his landscapes: Find what makes you happy and build it into your world, whether pigment or practical. It was as if Jonathan Livingston Seagull had returned to Earth as a Rolf Harris-like kitsch artist. This GIF, from the non-ironically popular Bob Ross GIFs Tumblr, sums it up in word and in deed. To date 29,336 happy little Tumblrers have stared into this tree-lined horizon and found something of themselves in the darkness or the light they saw there.
Lorraine Murphy is an Ottawa-based cybersecurity journalist and founding editor of the Cryptosphere. She has a keen interest in WikiLeaks and web culture, and her bylines have appeared in Salon, Vanity Fair, Serious Eats, and elsewhere.