- ‘Penis fish’ memes erupt after worms wash up on California coast Friday 5:58 PM
- Why Britons are tweeting ‘Little England’ in wake of the U.K. election Friday 3:22 PM
- Net neutrality advocates ask for rehearing on federal court decision Friday 2:29 PM
- Americans are sharing their #PrivateHealthLIFEhacks to help Brits Friday 2:28 PM
- Warren, Sanders, Yang pledge to skip next week’s debate over union dispute Friday 2:12 PM
- How to watch tonight’s Nets vs. Raptors matchup on NBA TV Friday 2:00 PM
- Alt-right comedian Owen Benjamin banned from Instagram over anti-Semitic memes Friday 1:55 PM
- TikTok teens are procrastinating with #FinalsWeek Friday 1:46 PM
- ‘The Mandalorian’ takes on a prison break in episode 6 Friday 1:30 PM
- Nick Cannon vs. Eminem battle expected to escalate after ‘off-limits’ daughter diss Friday 12:50 PM
- Laura Loomer vehemently denies being author of new Laura Loomer-themed action novel Friday 12:30 PM
- PewDiePie’s poop-inspired game gets banned by Apple Friday 11:29 AM
- ‘Game of Thrones’ showrunners to adapt ‘Lovecraft’ graphic novel to screen Friday 11:00 AM
- The 50 memes that defined the decade Friday 10:45 AM
- Venmo users are getting harassed with fraudulent payment requests Friday 10:38 AM
The Morning GIF: Happy birthday, Bob Ross!
The Joy of Painting host would have turned 70 today.
Here at the Daily Dot, we swap GIF images with each other every morning. Now we’re looping you in. In the Morning GIF, we feature a popular—or just plain cool—GIF we found on Reddit, Canvas, or elsewhere on the Internet.
Bob Ross, PBS’s favorite artist, would have turned 70 today. The incredibly popular oil painter hosted The Joy of Painting, which ran nationally on PBS throughout the ’80s and early ’90s. His idiosyncratic, authentic, and defiantly innocent charm was magnetic even to non-artists in the Age of Irony. His catchphrases entered the lexicon, as everyone from Sesame Street to SNL satirized happy little landscapes filled with happy little trees and happy little skies filled with happy little birds and happy little clouds.
Ross’s philosophy was as simple and clear as his landscapes: Find what makes you happy and build it into your world, whether pigment or practical. It was as if Jonathan Livingston Seagull had returned to Earth as a Rolf Harris-like kitsch artist. This GIF, from the non-ironically popular Bob Ross GIFs Tumblr, sums it up in word and in deed. To date 29,336 happy little Tumblrers have stared into this tree-lined horizon and found something of themselves in the darkness or the light they saw there.
Lorraine Murphy is an Ottawa-based cybersecurity journalist and founding editor of the Cryptosphere. She has a keen interest in WikiLeaks and web culture, and her bylines have appeared in Salon, Vanity Fair, Serious Eats, and elsewhere.