- No, that guy didn’t really fly alone on a Delta flight Saturday 4:31 PM
- Fans are paying to meet their favorite YouTubers online through pilot program Saturday 2:54 PM
- Behold: 12 straight hours of ‘Stranger Things” Alexei drinking a Slurpee Saturday 2:05 PM
- Influencer couple under fire for using holy water to splash genitals in Bali Saturday 1:29 PM
- These are the 10 best villains DC comics has ever conceived Saturday 1:11 PM
- The Daily Wire accused of stealing art design from pop artist for its merchandise Saturday 12:09 PM
- Instagram model Rianne Meijer on keeping it real with her followers Saturday 10:52 AM
- How to stream Chelsea vs. Leicester City Saturday 8:30 AM
- Florida man arrested after allegedly texting girlfriend his mass shooting plans Saturday 8:27 AM
- How to stream Real Madrid vs. Celta Vigo Saturday 8:20 AM
- How to stream Seahawks vs. Vikings in NFL preseason action Saturday 8:00 AM
- How to stream Steelers vs. Chiefs in NFL preseason action Saturday 6:30 AM
- Chuck E. Cheese recycles pizza is the conspiracy theory that won’t die Saturday 6:30 AM
- How to stream Cowboys vs Rams in NFL preseason action Saturday 6:00 AM
- Cómo ver el UFC 241: Daniel Cormier vs. Stipe Miocic Saturday 6:00 AM
The Morning GIF: Moon mandala
In honor of last week’s blue moon, we present this kaleidoscopic view of a moonlit night.
Here at the Daily Dot, we swap GIF images with each other every morning. Now we’re looping you in. In the Morning GIF, we feature a popular—or just plain cool—GIF we found on Reddit, Canvas, or elsewhere on the Internet.
Once in a blue moon, it comes along: the blue moon. It came along last week, in fact. And, as with all archetypally fine, fleeting summer pleasures, once it’s gone, only a dreamy, perfect memory remains.
That and the hope that it won’t try to friend us on Facebook.
That summer pleasure, the evocative blue moon, inspired today’s featured artist. Mexico City artist Elias of the Chaotec Chichiliki Tumblr has gone deeper than most into the ephemeral, listing his interests as, “art, illustration, astral projection, lucid dreaming, mandalas, psychedelics and everything that has to do with the universe.” His blog is itself a flashback to the late Sixties, long before he was born, featuring trippy mandalas varying from the ethereal to the richly sensual, some static, some GIFs.
Mandalas, creative renderings of the divine symmetry of nature, are perhaps the definitive art form: that which is created to be contemplated. Implicit in the mandala are the principles of proportion, space, elegance, oneness, and aesthetics. Ultimately, the study of the mandala is the study of the universe.
Elias is not the only mandala artist to have rendered them in GIF form, but his mandalas are significantly more nuanced than most. Today’s featured GIF is unusual for him in that the mandala is placed within a framework, a landscape, clearly indicating that it represents a powerful moon in the sky, the blue moon, which wields three times the mystical power of an ordinary full moon, according to noted pagan Lady Abigail.
Whether or not you believe that, the contemplation of this subtle, beautiful GIF will put you in touch with at least your own higher power.
Lorraine Murphy is an Ottawa-based cybersecurity journalist and founding editor of the Cryptosphere. She has a keen interest in WikiLeaks and web culture, and her bylines have appeared in Salon, Vanity Fair, Serious Eats, and elsewhere.