- 12 essential Amazon Echo accessories for your smart home 6 Years Ago
- Report: Disney yanks YouTube ad spending following child exploitation accusations Wednesday 7:56 PM
- These people are organizing Fyre Fest live-action role-play parties Wednesday 6:35 PM
- White woman berates Mexican restaurant manager for speaking Spanish Wednesday 4:12 PM
- In Pixar short ‘Kitbull,’ a cat and pit bull become unlikely friends Wednesday 3:48 PM
- Stop exploiting the Jussie Smollett case to discredit LGBTQ hate crime victims Wednesday 3:28 PM
- The best Netflix original movies of 2019 Wednesday 3:20 PM
- Pinterest is reportedly blocking vaccination searches Wednesday 2:53 PM
- Nike’s self-lacing smart sneakers malfunction days after release Wednesday 2:50 PM
- How to quickly get the Havoc weapon in Apex Legends Wednesday 2:48 PM
- The truth behind the anti-LGBTQ emoji controversy Wednesday 1:37 PM
- Tristan Thompson disables Instagram comments after reports he cheated on Khloe Kardashian Wednesday 11:25 AM
- Introducing ‘boner culture,’ this Gamergate blogger’s latest cause Wednesday 11:16 AM
- HBO debuts trailer for controversial Michael Jackson doc ‘Leaving Neverland’ Wednesday 10:46 AM
- Christian woman refuses to do taxes for lesbian married couple Wednesday 10:43 AM
In honor of last week’s blue moon, we present this kaleidoscopic view of a moonlit night.
Here at the Daily Dot, we swap GIF images with each other every morning. Now we’re looping you in. In the Morning GIF, we feature a popular—or just plain cool—GIF we found on Reddit, Canvas, or elsewhere on the Internet.
Once in a blue moon, it comes along: the blue moon. It came along last week, in fact. And, as with all archetypally fine, fleeting summer pleasures, once it’s gone, only a dreamy, perfect memory remains.
That and the hope that it won’t try to friend us on Facebook.
That summer pleasure, the evocative blue moon, inspired today’s featured artist. Mexico City artist Elias of the Chaotec Chichiliki Tumblr has gone deeper than most into the ephemeral, listing his interests as, “art, illustration, astral projection, lucid dreaming, mandalas, psychedelics and everything that has to do with the universe.” His blog is itself a flashback to the late Sixties, long before he was born, featuring trippy mandalas varying from the ethereal to the richly sensual, some static, some GIFs.
Mandalas, creative renderings of the divine symmetry of nature, are perhaps the definitive art form: that which is created to be contemplated. Implicit in the mandala are the principles of proportion, space, elegance, oneness, and aesthetics. Ultimately, the study of the mandala is the study of the universe.
Elias is not the only mandala artist to have rendered them in GIF form, but his mandalas are significantly more nuanced than most. Today’s featured GIF is unusual for him in that the mandala is placed within a framework, a landscape, clearly indicating that it represents a powerful moon in the sky, the blue moon, which wields three times the mystical power of an ordinary full moon, according to noted pagan Lady Abigail.
Whether or not you believe that, the contemplation of this subtle, beautiful GIF will put you in touch with at least your own higher power.
Lorraine Murphy is an Ottawa-based cybersecurity journalist and founding editor of the Cryptosphere. She has a keen interest in WikiLeaks and web culture, and her bylines have appeared in Salon, Vanity Fair, Serious Eats, and elsewhere.