- Pediatrician gets death threats after pro-vaccine TikTok video Monday 9:37 PM
- This Australia-themed dildo is raising money to fight the bushfires Monday 8:26 PM
- Influencers say they’ve received unwanted sexual solicitations worth thousands Monday 7:39 PM
- Pregnant woman masterfully trolls gender-obsessed relative Monday 3:05 PM
- HBO’s ‘Curb Your Enthusiasm’ returns from a 2-year break with brand new ways to make you cringe Monday 3:00 PM
- Far-right accused of impersonating antifa online to encourage violence at Richmond rally Monday 1:59 PM
- Second Amendment protesters defend gun rights with truly terrible signs Monday 12:52 PM
- David Lynch surprises fans by dropping Netflix short out of the blue Monday 12:29 PM
- Poop-focused parody of Kent State Gun Girl sparks conservative ire Monday 11:58 AM
- 6-year-old raises $250K for Australian bushfires by making clay koalas Monday 11:31 AM
- What you need to know about Clearview AI and its facial recognition app Monday 10:36 AM
- Apple TV+ gets its first SAG Award while Netflix and Amazon nab 2 each Monday 10:07 AM
- Facebook apologizes for translating Chinese president’s name to ‘Mr. Sh*thole’ Monday 9:45 AM
- New York Times endorses Klobarren for president Monday 8:45 AM
- 6 gift cards that make for the most thoughtful Valentine’s Day gift ideas Monday 8:16 AM
The Morning GIF is “fresh like a box of Krispy Kremes”
James Curran made 105 unique GIF icons to pay tribute to Beastie Boy Adam Yauch.
Here at the Daily Dot, we swap GIF images with each other every morning. Now we’re looping you in. In the Morning GIF, we feature a popular—or just plain cool—GIF we found on Reddit, Canvas, or elsewhere on the Internet.
The first thing most people do when they hear it’s the death anniversary of artists like Aaliyah or Biggie Smalls is fire up their iPod to play their music. When artist James Curran heard the first anniversary of Beastie Boy Adam “MCA” Yauch’s passing was in May, he wanted to do much more.
So using his illustration skills, the England-based designer created a short video featuring more than 30 pixel animations set to the Beastie Boys classic “3 MC’s and 1 DJ.” Curran exhibited his video in Berlin and London earlier this year and sold prints of each pixel animation to raise money for Macmillan, a cancer support organization.
Over the past month, Curran has been posting each pixel animation to Tumblr as GIFs where nearly every one has been highlighted by the GIF tag. His favorite GIF is of a box of donuts which references Mike D’s lyrics “Fresh like a box of Krispy Kremes.”
“This lyric always stood out to me and is one of the band’s most quotable lines, so it was an obvious choice when selecting the three icons for this track,” Curran told the Daily Dot. “It turned out to be one of the more detailed icons in the whole set (of 105 in total), with each individual donut having a recognisable unique flavour. The (almost) pixel art style seemed like a good fit for the project as while I was a big fan of Beastie Boys growing up I was also a big fan of video games, so the two go hand in hand for me.”
Illustrations by James Curran
Fernando Alfonso III served as an early Reddit and 4chan reporter and the Daily Dot’s first art director until 2016. He’s gone on to report at Lexington’s Herald-Leader and at the Houston Chronicle.