- How to watch ‘American Horror Story: 1984’ 6 Years Ago
- What’s new in Call of Duty: Modern Warfare? 6 Years Ago
- ‘Carole and Tuesday’ is a feast for the eyes, ears, and heart 6 Years Ago
- Tara Booth’s Instagram art embraces the comedy in mental health struggles Today 6:00 AM
- Everything we know so far about Peacock, NBC’s new streaming service Tuesday 7:42 PM
- Selena Gomez producing docuseries about immigration for Netflix Tuesday 7:11 PM
- How to stream Manchester City vs. Shakhtar Donetsk in Champions League action Tuesday 6:14 PM
- Milo Yiannopoulos threatens to crash furry convention he is barred from Tuesday 5:54 PM
- How to stream Juventus vs. Atletico Madrid in Champions League action Tuesday 5:52 PM
- How to stream Real Madrid vs. PSG in Champions League action Tuesday 5:24 PM
- No-fly zone implemented over Area 51 ahead of Alienstock festival Tuesday 5:16 PM
- TikTok accused of censoring content about Hong Kong protests Tuesday 5:04 PM
- Smoke ’em, pass ’em, Week 3: At the Bakery Tuesday 4:38 PM
- Alex Trebek says he will be undergoing chemotherapy again Tuesday 4:27 PM
- Dan Crenshaw roasted after attacking Sanders’ call for veteran care Tuesday 4:19 PM
The Morning GIF is “fresh like a box of Krispy Kremes”
James Curran made 105 unique GIF icons to pay tribute to Beastie Boy Adam Yauch.
Here at the Daily Dot, we swap GIF images with each other every morning. Now we’re looping you in. In the Morning GIF, we feature a popular—or just plain cool—GIF we found on Reddit, Canvas, or elsewhere on the Internet.
The first thing most people do when they hear it’s the death anniversary of artists like Aaliyah or Biggie Smalls is fire up their iPod to play their music. When artist James Curran heard the first anniversary of Beastie Boy Adam “MCA” Yauch’s passing was in May, he wanted to do much more.
So using his illustration skills, the England-based designer created a short video featuring more than 30 pixel animations set to the Beastie Boys classic “3 MC’s and 1 DJ.” Curran exhibited his video in Berlin and London earlier this year and sold prints of each pixel animation to raise money for Macmillan, a cancer support organization.
Over the past month, Curran has been posting each pixel animation to Tumblr as GIFs where nearly every one has been highlighted by the GIF tag. His favorite GIF is of a box of donuts which references Mike D’s lyrics “Fresh like a box of Krispy Kremes.”
“This lyric always stood out to me and is one of the band’s most quotable lines, so it was an obvious choice when selecting the three icons for this track,” Curran told the Daily Dot. “It turned out to be one of the more detailed icons in the whole set (of 105 in total), with each individual donut having a recognisable unique flavour. The (almost) pixel art style seemed like a good fit for the project as while I was a big fan of Beastie Boys growing up I was also a big fan of video games, so the two go hand in hand for me.”
Illustrations by James Curran
Fernando Alfonso III served as an early Reddit and 4chan reporter and the Daily Dot’s first art director until 2016. He’s gone on to report at Lexington’s Herald-Leader and at the Houston Chronicle.