- How to stream Tottenham Hotspur vs. West Ham live Friday 6:30 PM
- The ‘Smooth Bernie’ conspiracy is false, but the memes are fire Friday 3:59 PM
- Trump says he wants to raise the vaping age to 21 Friday 3:07 PM
- ‘The Mandalorian’ comes to a crossroads in Chapter 3 Friday 1:11 PM
- Apple TV’s ‘Servant’ will make you scared of reborn dolls Friday 1:05 PM
- Lindsey Graham roasted for turning his back on a veteran Friday 12:52 PM
- Scooter Braun asks Taylor Swift for ‘resolution’ after allegedly getting death threats Friday 12:35 PM
- ‘Frozen 2’ plays it safe and lacks the magic of the original Friday 12:19 PM
- Graphic video shows police pinning man face-down in subway station Friday 12:18 PM
- Mini-documentary shows Trump supporters clashing at Denny’s Friday 11:52 AM
- Here’s why ‘Furry and Proud’ is trending on Twitter Friday 11:16 AM
- Sacha Baron Cohen calls tech giants the ‘greatest propaganda machine in history’ Friday 11:04 AM
- ‘Resistance Reborn’ is a must-read before ‘The Rise of Skywalker’ Friday 10:14 AM
- Stephen Miller should be fired, more than 100 lawmakers say Friday 9:56 AM
- YouTube star Bretman Rock goes off on fans who wanted selfies during his dad’s funeral Friday 9:14 AM
The Morning GIF is “fresh like a box of Krispy Kremes”
James Curran made 105 unique GIF icons to pay tribute to Beastie Boy Adam Yauch.
Here at the Daily Dot, we swap GIF images with each other every morning. Now we’re looping you in. In the Morning GIF, we feature a popular—or just plain cool—GIF we found on Reddit, Canvas, or elsewhere on the Internet.
The first thing most people do when they hear it’s the death anniversary of artists like Aaliyah or Biggie Smalls is fire up their iPod to play their music. When artist James Curran heard the first anniversary of Beastie Boy Adam “MCA” Yauch’s passing was in May, he wanted to do much more.
So using his illustration skills, the England-based designer created a short video featuring more than 30 pixel animations set to the Beastie Boys classic “3 MC’s and 1 DJ.” Curran exhibited his video in Berlin and London earlier this year and sold prints of each pixel animation to raise money for Macmillan, a cancer support organization.
Over the past month, Curran has been posting each pixel animation to Tumblr as GIFs where nearly every one has been highlighted by the GIF tag. His favorite GIF is of a box of donuts which references Mike D’s lyrics “Fresh like a box of Krispy Kremes.”
“This lyric always stood out to me and is one of the band’s most quotable lines, so it was an obvious choice when selecting the three icons for this track,” Curran told the Daily Dot. “It turned out to be one of the more detailed icons in the whole set (of 105 in total), with each individual donut having a recognisable unique flavour. The (almost) pixel art style seemed like a good fit for the project as while I was a big fan of Beastie Boys growing up I was also a big fan of video games, so the two go hand in hand for me.”
Illustrations by James Curran
Fernando Alfonso III served as an early Reddit and 4chan reporter and the Daily Dot’s first art director until 2016. He’s gone on to report at Lexington’s Herald-Leader and at the Houston Chronicle.