- Netflix will remove controversial disaster footage from ‘Bird Box’ Sunday 4:04 PM
- J.K. Rowling’s latest ‘Fantastic Beasts’ reveal is bringing the memes Sunday 3:01 PM
- President Trump calls for government agencies to ‘look into’ ‘Saturday Night Live’ Sunday 12:18 PM
- How to stream Michael Conlan vs. Ruben Garcia Hernandez for free Sunday 11:00 AM
- ‘Pet Sematary’ is a bloodless remake of a Stephen King classic Sunday 10:50 AM
- Here’s the Marvel movie order list you didn’t know you needed Sunday 9:59 AM
- Where do 2020 Democratic candidates stand on weed? Sunday 7:00 AM
- How to stream ‘Billions’ season 4 for free Sunday 6:30 AM
- If you’re not using Vudu, you’re missing out Sunday 6:00 AM
- Everything you need to know about WhatsApp Sunday 5:30 AM
- ‘The Inventor: Out for Blood in Silicon Valley’ tries to get a read on Elizabeth Holmes Saturday 1:57 PM
- ‘Band Together with Logic’ shows us the best of the Internet Saturday 1:32 PM
- How to watch Spence vs. Garcia online Saturday 12:00 PM
- Far-right Australian politician gets egged by teen on video Saturday 11:28 AM
- Inside the solar-powered van that’s recording your favorite bands Saturday 10:48 AM
Katniss comes home to destruction in the new ‘Mockingjay’ trailer
If this is a hint of things to come, get ready for a dark movie.
Like the rest of The Hunger Games films, Mockingjay Part 1 is going to be far from a happy movie. The latest trailer, though, really brings home just how high the stakes are for Katniss Everdeen and the rebellion.
Here we see Jennifer Lawrence’s character return home to District 12 as President Alma Coin (Julianne Moore) and Plutarch Heavensbee (Philip Seymour Hoffman) discuss whether she’s ready to be the face of the rebels in Panem. Heavensbee’s solution is to send Katniss to District 12, where she can view firsthand the destruction that the Capitol has rained down on her home.
It’s heartbreaking to watch Katniss discover her destroyed home, and it’s hard to ignore the chill you get from watching her find President Snow’s little gift—his trademark white rose—in the ruined building. Lorde’s song “Yellow Flickered Beat” playing in the background completes the atmosphere of the trailer and foreshadows the darkness that we can expect from Mockingjay. Given the potent combination of Lorde’s soundtrack and the footage from the film, fans had better get ready for an emotional ride.
The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1 will arrive in theaters Friday, Nov. 21.
Lisa Granshaw reports on pop culture and geek fashion and is the founder of GeekFold. You can find her work on Syfy, Boing Boing, and Geek and Sundry.