- This Twitter account is parodying Amazon customer service Thursday 8:52 PM
- How to live stream Oleksandr Gvozdyk vs. Artur Beterbiev Thursday 7:00 PM
- Shaggy says an online scammer is impersonating him Thursday 6:53 PM
- IRL Barbie Malibu Dreamhouse available to rent on Airbnb Thursday 6:16 PM
- Men’s Humor trolled for unknowingly tweeting Grindr conversation Thursday 5:29 PM
- How to stream Dominick Reyes vs. Chris Weidman Thursday 5:00 PM
- Jennifer Aniston had a finsta before officially joining Instagram Thursday 4:35 PM
- Facebook denies moderating comments under Zuckerberg’s big free speech live stream Thursday 2:38 PM
- ‘My headphones’ meme proves our music is sadder than we look Thursday 1:53 PM
- ‘Time for an upgrade’ meme shows Kamala Harris’ team is too online Thursday 1:35 PM
- Prison guards reportedly mocked trans inmates in private Facebook groups Thursday 1:33 PM
- Gradient is the new celebrity look-alike app winning over influencers Thursday 12:46 PM
- Trolls accuse cosplayer of ‘appropriating’ Joker culture (updated) Thursday 12:28 PM
- Every Studio Ghibli movie will stream exclusively on HBO Max Thursday 12:24 PM
- ‘Stranger Things’ season 3 saw its highest viewer numbers yet Thursday 12:01 PM
Katniss comes home to destruction in the new ‘Mockingjay’ trailer
If this is a hint of things to come, get ready for a dark movie.
Like the rest of The Hunger Games films, Mockingjay Part 1 is going to be far from a happy movie. The latest trailer, though, really brings home just how high the stakes are for Katniss Everdeen and the rebellion.
Here we see Jennifer Lawrence’s character return home to District 12 as President Alma Coin (Julianne Moore) and Plutarch Heavensbee (Philip Seymour Hoffman) discuss whether she’s ready to be the face of the rebels in Panem. Heavensbee’s solution is to send Katniss to District 12, where she can view firsthand the destruction that the Capitol has rained down on her home.
It’s heartbreaking to watch Katniss discover her destroyed home, and it’s hard to ignore the chill you get from watching her find President Snow’s little gift—his trademark white rose—in the ruined building. Lorde’s song “Yellow Flickered Beat” playing in the background completes the atmosphere of the trailer and foreshadows the darkness that we can expect from Mockingjay. Given the potent combination of Lorde’s soundtrack and the footage from the film, fans had better get ready for an emotional ride.
The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1 will arrive in theaters Friday, Nov. 21.
Lisa Granshaw reports on pop culture and geek fashion and is the founder of GeekFold. You can find her work on Syfy, Boing Boing, and Geek and Sundry.