- Majority of threats made since El Paso and Dayton shootings have been made online Thursday 8:00 PM
- Miley Cyrus tweets about cheating allegations and penis cake drama Thursday 6:32 PM
- ‘The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance’ dazzles with a timely tale Thursday 6:00 PM
- The DOJ emailed a white nationalist blog post to immigration judges Thursday 5:31 PM
- The Amazon rainforest is on fire–and people are using memes to cope Thursday 4:11 PM
- Microsoft contractors listened in on Xbox users Thursday 2:15 PM
- Anti-vaxxer assaults pro-vaccine lawmaker on Facebook Live (updated) Thursday 2:15 PM
- Oreos licked by singer Lewis Capaldi are being auctioned off on eBay Thursday 1:54 PM
- Zach Braff predicted Sean Spicer would be on ‘Dancing With the Stars’ 2 years ago Thursday 1:38 PM
- NYPD sergeant who watched Eric Garner die punished with lost vacation days Thursday 1:27 PM
- Brie Larson haters have a meltdown over a joke about Thor’s hammer Thursday 1:26 PM
- This comedian attempted to make fun of women on Twitter—and it did not go over well Thursday 1:04 PM
- Logan Paul wants to help the Amazon rainforest Thursday 12:36 PM
- Nutaku announces redesign and filters for LGBTQ porn games (updated) Thursday 12:25 PM
- This video of dozens of inflatable mattresses taking off in the wind is perfect Thursday 12:20 PM
Katniss comes home to destruction in the new ‘Mockingjay’ trailer
If this is a hint of things to come, get ready for a dark movie.
Like the rest of The Hunger Games films, Mockingjay Part 1 is going to be far from a happy movie. The latest trailer, though, really brings home just how high the stakes are for Katniss Everdeen and the rebellion.
Here we see Jennifer Lawrence’s character return home to District 12 as President Alma Coin (Julianne Moore) and Plutarch Heavensbee (Philip Seymour Hoffman) discuss whether she’s ready to be the face of the rebels in Panem. Heavensbee’s solution is to send Katniss to District 12, where she can view firsthand the destruction that the Capitol has rained down on her home.
It’s heartbreaking to watch Katniss discover her destroyed home, and it’s hard to ignore the chill you get from watching her find President Snow’s little gift—his trademark white rose—in the ruined building. Lorde’s song “Yellow Flickered Beat” playing in the background completes the atmosphere of the trailer and foreshadows the darkness that we can expect from Mockingjay. Given the potent combination of Lorde’s soundtrack and the footage from the film, fans had better get ready for an emotional ride.
The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1 will arrive in theaters Friday, Nov. 21.
Lisa Granshaw reports on pop culture and geek fashion and is the founder of GeekFold. You can find her work on Syfy, Boing Boing, and Geek and Sundry.