- ‘Stranger Things’ star’s new Netflix prank show is receiving backlash Today 9:04 AM
- How to watch ‘City on a Hill’ for free Today 8:00 AM
- How to watch ‘Euphoria’ for free Today 7:00 AM
- Meet the home brewer turning beer into a case for net neutrality Today 6:30 AM
- How to watch the U.S. vs. Chile at the World Cup for free Today 6:15 AM
- 15 teen movies on Netflix that will make you laugh, cry, and cringe Today 6:00 AM
- How to watch Estrella TV online for free Today 5:00 AM
- People are roasting this ‘traditional’ take on marriage with a hilarious meme Saturday 5:17 PM
- The internet just collectively realized that the Neopets of the world must be hungry Saturday 4:00 PM
- Alt-right message board 8chan was served a search warrant Saturday 3:06 PM
- O.J. Simpson just joined Twitter in the most bizarre fashion Saturday 1:20 PM
- Prominent phone-hacking firm says it can unlock any iPhone for law enforcement Saturday 12:39 PM
- Hundreds of police officers belong to extremist Facebook groups, investigation finds Saturday 9:31 AM
- How to watch Tyson Fury vs. Tom Schwarz online Saturday 8:00 AM
- ‘Late Night’ is a disappointing, tepid comedy Saturday 7:00 AM
Katniss comes home to destruction in the new ‘Mockingjay’ trailer
If this is a hint of things to come, get ready for a dark movie.
Like the rest of The Hunger Games films, Mockingjay Part 1 is going to be far from a happy movie. The latest trailer, though, really brings home just how high the stakes are for Katniss Everdeen and the rebellion.
Here we see Jennifer Lawrence’s character return home to District 12 as President Alma Coin (Julianne Moore) and Plutarch Heavensbee (Philip Seymour Hoffman) discuss whether she’s ready to be the face of the rebels in Panem. Heavensbee’s solution is to send Katniss to District 12, where she can view firsthand the destruction that the Capitol has rained down on her home.
It’s heartbreaking to watch Katniss discover her destroyed home, and it’s hard to ignore the chill you get from watching her find President Snow’s little gift—his trademark white rose—in the ruined building. Lorde’s song “Yellow Flickered Beat” playing in the background completes the atmosphere of the trailer and foreshadows the darkness that we can expect from Mockingjay. Given the potent combination of Lorde’s soundtrack and the footage from the film, fans had better get ready for an emotional ride.
The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1 will arrive in theaters Friday, Nov. 21.
Lisa Granshaw reports on pop culture and geek fashion and is the founder of GeekFold. You can find her work on Syfy, Boing Boing, and Geek and Sundry.