- Did Pete Buttigieg seriously just rip-off a famous Obama speech? 5 Years Ago
- The most dangerous TikTok challenges we’ve seen—so far 5 Years Ago
- PewDiePie wants Bernie Sanders to host meme review Today 1:44 PM
- Hilary Duff records confrontation with ‘creep’ taking photos of kids Today 1:08 PM
- BTS may have used Twitch streamer’s voice in song without permission Today 12:15 PM
- Gigi Hadid absolutely obliterates Jake Paul over Zayn Malik diss Today 10:26 AM
- People really want Chris Matthews fired after he compared Sanders’ Nevada win to Nazi invasion of France Today 9:35 AM
- Bernie Sanders wins Nevada Caucuses Saturday 6:54 PM
- MSNBC is out of its mind over Sanders leading Nevada Saturday 5:20 PM
- Kim Kardashian dragged for using makeup to darken her hands Saturday 4:13 PM
- TikTok users show how they turned their vehicles into incredible tiny homes Saturday 3:44 PM
- Woman iconically pranks man who sent her an unsolicited d*ck pic Saturday 2:25 PM
- ‘Terrifying’ deepfake puts Jeff Bezos and Elon Musk in ‘Star Trek’ Saturday 1:06 PM
- A 36-year-old called the cops after being booted from parents’ phone plan Saturday 12:16 PM
- People think novelist Dean Koontz predicted the coronavirus in 1981 thriller Saturday 10:22 AM
Watch Matthew McConaughey’s audition tape for ‘Dazed and Confused’
It’s pretty clear why he got the part.
Over 20 years ago, the comedy film Dazed and Confused hit theaters. Its fun romp through a party in the 1970s not only won over audiences, but also introduced them to a handful of actors who would go on to become ridiculously famous. This roster included Ben Affleck, Milla Jovovich—and Matthew McConaughey.
While he may be a Hollywood A-lister today thanks to his Oscar-winning role in Dallas Buyers Club as well as memorable roles in everything from The Wedding Planner to Interstellar, McConaughey was little more than a pretty face with a difficult-to-spell surname back in 1993. Nevertheless, he amused audiences with his turn as 20-something stoner David Wooderson, best known for the lines “That’s what I like about these high school girls: I get older, they stay the same age” and, of course, “All right, all right, all right.”
Now, McConaughey’s audition tape for Dazed and Confused has surfaced, affording his fans a rare glimpse at the earliest years of the superstar’s career.
He didn’t look too comfortable with his now-classic line, did he?
Compare it with the finished product.
BroBible has the backstory on how he landed the gig:
McConaughey actually got the part as a matter of chance. He said he was hanging out at a hotel bar in Austin, Texas, when he just so happened to run into Don Phillips, a casting director. The two did some drinking and quickly developed a bond. “Top of the Hyatt, Thursday night!” McConaughey said. “I went there because the bartender there gave me free drinks because he was in my film school class [at the University of Texas at Austin]. We got kicked out! We were really drunk. We were talking about a golf hole that we had both played and we were just so loud that management told us to leave.” Matthew sure knows how to make a first impression.
Mike Fenn is a former contributor to the Daily Dot whose beats included Reddit, YouTube, and all things WTF. His work has also appeared in Forbes and News.com.au.