- Indie game publisher announces Playdate, a console with a hand crank Wednesday 8:18 PM
- How to get The Sims 4 for free Wednesday 7:45 PM
- Trump’s Rose Garden podium sign is the perfect meme canvas Wednesday 7:34 PM
- Forest Whitaker to produce adaptation of novel ‘Hello, Universe’ for Netflix Wednesday 6:58 PM
- Baltimore still refuses to pay hackers who hit city with ransomware Wednesday 5:34 PM
- Net neutrality advocates slam ‘extremely troubling’ letter circulating among some House Dems Wednesday 4:52 PM
- Moms and grandmas are infiltrating TikTok Wednesday 4:35 PM
- Did Britain’s head Brexiter hide in a bus to avoid getting hit by a milkshake? Wednesday 4:26 PM
- This woman who thought she saw a handmaid about to jump from a building is very relieved Wednesday 4:18 PM
- Michael Avenatti allegedly defrauded Stormy Daniels to pay for a Ferrari Wednesday 3:53 PM
- HBO has no plans for an Arya Stark spinoff series Wednesday 3:28 PM
- Republicans and Democrats agree on dangers of facial recognition tech Wednesday 3:18 PM
- Amazon is using video games and ‘swag bucks’ to incentivize workers Wednesday 3:04 PM
- Here’s what’s coming and going on Netflix in June Wednesday 2:46 PM
- This Michael Jackson makeup meme is sweeping TikTok Wednesday 2:45 PM
Mariah Carey’s ‘All I Want for Christmas Is You’ just hit Billboard’s top 10
The one true Christmas anthem.
The 23-year-old single has been a holiday staple all over the globe since its release in 1994, but it’s never made it past the no. 11 spot, surprisingly, until now. With services like Spotify and YouTube adding streaming numbers to the song’s plentiful radio plays, it seems like Carey’s Christmas audience is only growing over time.
The achievement gives Carey her 28th Hot 100 Top 10, making for a tie with Stevie Wonder for the fifth-most Hot 100 top 10s in the chart’s history. Carey is behind only Madonna, The Beatles, Rihanna, and Michael Jackson at this point (though Madonna’s lead is strong with a staggering 38 Hot 100 Top 10 singles).
Carey told Billboard that the achievement has been equally humbling and exciting for her.
“As a songwriter, I feel so honored to have this song reach Billboard’s [Hot 100] top 10 for the first time,” she said. “I honestly never thought we’d be talking about this happening, but I’m so thankful to everyone who embraces this song as part of their holiday tradition.”
“It truly warms my heart, and I am proud of this song that I wrote basically as a kid on my little Casio keyboard.”
Earlier this month, “All I Want for Christmas is You” had already started eating up the holiday charts on Spotify and YouTube. The singer shared some early stats on her Instagram Dec. 6:
View this post on Instagram
I'm so grateful and still overwhelmed by the success of this song. Thank you to all my fans around the world for your continued love and support every year! Excited to bring my "All I Want For Christmas Is You" show to Europe this year 🎄🎅🏼🎁💝💝💝 #AIWFCIY #ChristmasWithMariah #Lambily
A post shared by Mariah Carey (@mariahcarey) on
At this point, December is Mariah’s season. Christmas just happens to fall within it.
Christine Friar is a writer and editor in New York who focuses on streaming entertainment and internet culture. Her work has appeared in the Awl, the Fader, New York Magazine, Paper Magazine, Vogue, Elle, and more.