- Daniel Caesar dons cape for whiteness—and gets canceled Wednesday 4:29 PM
- Triton is a new malware ‘deliberately’ designed to put lives at risk Wednesday 3:23 PM
- ‘Into the Dark: I’m Just F*cking with You’ is one of the series’ best Wednesday 1:54 PM
- Trump’s latest prop, a map of ISIS, gets memed Wednesday 12:54 PM
- HBO sends fans on a global scavenger hunt for 6 Iron Thrones Wednesday 11:51 AM
- The Awkward Family Photos game is Cards Against Humanity for meme lovers Wednesday 11:50 AM
- London firefighters’ organization accuses ‘Peppa Pig’ of sexism Wednesday 11:41 AM
- YouTuber accused of abusing her children to make kid-friendly content Wednesday 11:20 AM
- Ari Fleischer’s Iraq War tweet isn’t going over well Wednesday 10:54 AM
- Cop arrested for recording man’s genitals, forcing mentally ill man to twerk Wednesday 10:37 AM
- MoviePass rebrands its unlimited plan, again Wednesday 10:37 AM
- Former Alaska senator launches meme-filled 2020 primary campaign Wednesday 10:17 AM
- The Shane Dawson cat controversy has resulted in these sex memes Wednesday 10:06 AM
- Sarah Sanders mocks CNN reporter with ‘dear diary’ tweet Wednesday 9:03 AM
- Know what you’re signing up for thanks to these dating site reviews Wednesday 8:58 AM
Mariah Carey’s ‘All I Want for Christmas Is You’ just hit Billboard’s top 10
The one true Christmas anthem.
The 23-year-old single has been a holiday staple all over the globe since its release in 1994, but it’s never made it past the no. 11 spot, surprisingly, until now. With services like Spotify and YouTube adding streaming numbers to the song’s plentiful radio plays, it seems like Carey’s Christmas audience is only growing over time.
The achievement gives Carey her 28th Hot 100 Top 10, making for a tie with Stevie Wonder for the fifth-most Hot 100 top 10s in the chart’s history. Carey is behind only Madonna, The Beatles, Rihanna, and Michael Jackson at this point (though Madonna’s lead is strong with a staggering 38 Hot 100 Top 10 singles).
Carey told Billboard that the achievement has been equally humbling and exciting for her.
“As a songwriter, I feel so honored to have this song reach Billboard’s [Hot 100] top 10 for the first time,” she said. “I honestly never thought we’d be talking about this happening, but I’m so thankful to everyone who embraces this song as part of their holiday tradition.”
“It truly warms my heart, and I am proud of this song that I wrote basically as a kid on my little Casio keyboard.”
Earlier this month, “All I Want for Christmas is You” had already started eating up the holiday charts on Spotify and YouTube. The singer shared some early stats on her Instagram Dec. 6:
View this post on Instagram
I'm so grateful and still overwhelmed by the success of this song. Thank you to all my fans around the world for your continued love and support every year! Excited to bring my "All I Want For Christmas Is You" show to Europe this year 🎄🎅🏼🎁💝💝💝 #AIWFCIY #ChristmasWithMariah #Lambily
A post shared by Mariah Carey (@mariahcarey) on
At this point, December is Mariah’s season. Christmas just happens to fall within it.
Christine Friar is a writer and editor in New York who focuses on streaming entertainment and internet culture. Her work has appeared in the Awl, the Fader, New York Magazine, Paper Magazine, Vogue, Elle, and more.