- How to stream Alistair Overeem vs. Jairzinho Rozenstruik 5 Years Ago
- Amazon sends customers condoms and soap instead of Nintendo Switch 5 Years Ago
- How to live stream Jermall Charlo vs. Dennis Hogan Today 8:00 AM
- Apple TV’s ‘Truth Be Told’ is a criminally dull drama Today 6:00 AM
- Thousands of Uber users have reported sexual assaults, company says Friday 5:40 PM
- ‘Astronomy Club’ reformats the sketch show Friday 4:58 PM
- Trump is concerned America’s toilets too weak Friday 3:53 PM
- Twitter users claim Billie Eilish is ‘over’ because she didn’t like Lady Gaga’s meat dress Friday 2:53 PM
- Nikki Haley says the Confederate flag was fine until Dylann Roof ‘hijacked’ it Friday 2:49 PM
- How emotional labor discourse spawned multiple memes Friday 2:22 PM
- Video of YouTuber Onision threatening ex-girlfriend resurfaces Friday 2:03 PM
- Marianne Williamson embraces anti-vax stance on Facebook Friday 1:58 PM
- Peloton Husband is worried memes will have ‘repercussions’ for his career Friday 1:55 PM
- ‘The Mandalorian’ stumbles as it returns to a familiar planet Friday 1:47 PM
- The best app controlled Christmas lights for the holidays Friday 1:04 PM
Lorde debuts gorgeous video for ‘Mockingjay’ single ‘Yellow Flicker Beat’
Lorde channels Katniss.
Do you remember how you celebrated your 18th birthday? Lorde marked hers by releasing the video for the first single from The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1 soundtrack. Sure beats doing acid at Disney World while the Goo Goo Dolls played.
Lorde was tasked with curating the soundtrack for the latest installment of the popular movie franchise, and “Yellow Flicker Beat” is the first offering. She released the single back in September, and we got a taste of the song in an official Mockingjay trailer last month. The Hunger Games marketing machine knows how to ramp up anticipation, and the video is yet another pulse-quickener for fans. Also, Lorde’s outfits are on point.
when i was dreaming it up, i wasn’t thinking too hard about story or a specific narrative, more a mood; a harsh, crackling heat. yellow flicker beat is about katniss realizing that things have crossed a line, about being pushed to the edge and right over it. my character in this video, whether she’s weaving her way through a decadent ballroom, hiding out in a grimy, neon-lit motel room (her hair ever-so-slightly dishevelled), or waiting in the night for her bus to come dressed in her whitest clothes, is a shapeshifter, full of intensity and impulse, kind of like katniss. whether she’s in a small space or a cavernous one, she’s fiery. i don’t really know what i’m trying to explain to you here, but don’t read the video like a story, just let it take you somewhere.
The movie finally hits theaters Nov. 21.
Audra Schroeder is the Daily Dot’s senior entertainment writer, and she focuses on streaming, comedy, and music. Her work has previously appeared in the Austin Chronicle, the Dallas Observer, NPR, ESPN, Bitch, and the Village Voice. She is based in Austin, Texas.