- The 9 best podcasts for kids that entertain and educate 4 Years Ago
- Swipe This! Why does my BFF get more likes on Instagram than me? Today 6:00 AM
- The 25 Tom Cruise movies that are essential viewing Today 6:00 AM
- No, that guy didn’t really fly alone on a Delta flight Saturday 4:31 PM
- Fans are paying to meet their favorite YouTubers online through pilot program Saturday 2:54 PM
- Behold: 12 straight hours of ‘Stranger Things” Alexei drinking a Slurpee Saturday 2:05 PM
- Influencer couple under fire for using holy water to splash genitals in Bali Saturday 1:29 PM
- These are the 10 best villains DC comics has ever conceived Saturday 1:11 PM
- The Daily Wire accused of stealing art design from pop artist for its merchandise Saturday 12:09 PM
- Instagram model Rianne Meijer on keeping it real with her followers Saturday 10:52 AM
- How to stream Chelsea vs. Leicester City Saturday 8:30 AM
- Florida man arrested after allegedly texting girlfriend his mass shooting plans Saturday 8:27 AM
- How to stream Real Madrid vs. Celta Vigo Saturday 8:20 AM
- How to stream Seahawks vs. Vikings in NFL preseason action Saturday 8:00 AM
- How to stream Steelers vs. Chiefs in NFL preseason action Saturday 6:30 AM
Let me start this off with a confession: My writing and use of dramatic punctuation might suggest that I’m a pretty hip, classy lady, but in reality, I’m all about that Harry Potter, cat lady life. Are we on the same page? Hearing this, it should then come as no surprise that I’ve spent numerous subway rides contemplating who I’d want to narrate my my life. For a while, Morgan Freeman was the frontrunner, because if he was good enough to narrate the dramatic lives of penguins, he was certainly worthy of living inside of my brain. And then I stumbled up Lex Croucher, the dynamic dreamboat behind the channel Tyrannosauruslexxx, and it was settled: Croucher was the best person for the job.
Hilarious, quick-witted, and an expert at deadpan deliveries, Croucher is a hero to every woman whose sarcasm is constantly met with awkward silence mid-conversation. Her channel is a medley of videos, including life chats, monthly favorite videos, makeup and beauty hauls, and notes on why being an activist for sexual education and cyberbullying is so important. And while her hilarious stories originally drove me to her channel—her Valentine’s poems and “How NOT to Date” are two of many gems—it’s the diverse ways Croucher uses her voice that keeps me coming back every Tuesday and Friday for a new video. She’s just as passionate about using her channel to make people laugh as she is about starting conversations about consent, sexual abuse, and self-esteem, and she is able to perfectly strike a balance between the two.
As it’s plain to read, I love pretty much everything about Croucher: her badass wrist tattoo, the Harry Potter poster that hangs on her wall, the fact that she’s written video letters in defense of pigeons. But the reason you should love her is that her biweekly videos bring a dose of laughter into your everyday. While you might look at your horrible Tinder date as a fail never worth mentioning again, Croucher’s retelling of the same experience will make you realize just how important all of life’s embarrassing mishaps are in shaping our full and colorful life stories.
Since starting her channel in 2008, Croucher has been awarded the “Next Up” award by YouTube, graduated from University of South Hampton with a degree in English, and became a contributor to Huffington Post United Kingdom. She has already started making the world a better place through her online content, and it will be a pleasure watching Croucher continue to change the world through her passion and brilliant British humor.
Screengrab via tyrannosauruslexxx/YouTube
Carly Lanning is a journalist who covers social media. Her work has been published by Psychology Today, NBC, Thrillist, and Ms. Magazine.