- PewDiePie banned in China after reacting to Winnie the Pooh memes 4 Years Ago
- How to stream Cowboys vs. Eagles on Sunday Night Football Today 7:00 AM
- How to stream Chargers vs. Titans in Week 7 Today 6:00 AM
- 13 spooky romance games for adults Today 6:00 AM
- How to stream ‘Power’ season 6, episode 9 Today 5:00 AM
- How to stream Impact Wrestling’s Bound For Glory Today 5:00 AM
- How to stream Bills vs. Dolphins in Week 7 Today 4:30 AM
- How to stream Jaguars vs. Bengals in Week 7 Today 4:00 AM
- How to stream Texans vs. Colts in Week 7 Today 3:00 AM
- How to stream Manchester United vs. Liverpool Saturday 10:00 PM
- Man dragged for recording, posting video of neighbor being ‘killed’ instead of helping Saturday 4:14 PM
- How to stream Saints vs. Bears in Week 7 Saturday 3:25 PM
- How to stream Seahawks vs. Ravens in Week 7 Saturday 3:25 PM
- Are TikTok teens throwing up gang signs in their videos? Saturday 2:45 PM
- Anti-impeachment protesters believe ‘deep state’ tried to sabotage rally Saturday 12:51 PM
While the actual awards ceremony provided a much-needed diverse counterpoint to the #OscarsSoWhite Academy Award nominations, DiCaprio stole the show by casually puffing a vape pen—that’s Advanced Personal Vaporizer to sticklers and “millennial bait” to the rest of us.
The actor also won his first “Outstanding Performance” SAG award thanks to his Oscar-nominated leading role as real-life badass Hugh Glass in The Revenant. But instead of wondering whether this means Leo’s Oscar curse will finally be broken, most of us were just divided about whether his vape pen is cool, romantic, or just plain douchey.
Team romance had plenty of daydreaming to do:
Team “Vaping Leo is Culturally Significant” also got plenty of cheerleaders:
But Team Douchebag also got in plenty of jeering:
I hope Leonardo DiCaprio does a method biopic about the kid whose e-cig blows up in his face. God what a douche.
— Rae-Anne (@kitchenwitchin) January 31, 2016
Only-fucks-22-year-old-10s-fat-vape-pen Dicaprio is probably the best celeb and this is how we will remember him in 50, 100 years
— Kalea Larsen (@Kalea_Larsen) January 31, 2016
While vape pens may be a very healthy alternative to smoking, they’re mostly a perennial source for public mockery. It looks like not even DiCaprio’s vape pen will be able to change that public perception. Maybe a few more vape-offs with Revenant and Inception co-star Tom Hardy will help?
Still, it’s nice to know that even if we lose the “Where is my Oscar?” Leo meme at the upcoming Academy Awards, “Where is my vape pen?” will be waiting in the wings.
Aja Romano is a geek culture reporter and fandom expert. Their reporting at the Daily Dot covered everything from Harry Potter and anime to Tumblr and Gamergate. Romano joined Vox as a staff reporter in 2016.