- Amy Klobuchar lists net neutrality as part of her 100-day plan for presidency 3 Years Ago
- Reddit just banned the NBA Streams subreddit 3 Years Ago
- How to watch ‘Drunk History’ for free 3 Years Ago
- Netflix’s ‘Unit 42’ soars on the chemistry of its unlikely lead partners Today 7:30 AM
- How to watch ‘Good Trouble’ for free Today 7:00 AM
- It’s time for Pete Buttigieg to claim his status as Short King Today 6:30 AM
- The best foreign-language TV shows on Netflix Today 6:00 AM
- Hasan Minhaj explains why your internet sucks in ‘Patriot Act’ episode, puts it on DVD Monday 8:41 PM
- Hackers got control of Dylan Sprouse’s Twitter account, posted offensive content Monday 7:38 PM
- Twitch is suing the trolls who flooded the platform with porn and Christchurch shooting footage Monday 6:55 PM
- Cat filter turns Pakistani politicians’ press conference into frisky business Monday 6:12 PM
- Couple calls for boycott of dog walker app Wag! after their dog was abducted Monday 5:07 PM
- Trump gets banned from SeekingArrangement because he’s not a ‘real sugar daddy’ Monday 4:17 PM
- InfoWars accidentally sent child porn to lawyers representing Sandy Hook parents Monday 4:12 PM
- Sticker warns men changing diapers about ‘feminization of the American male’ Monday 4:10 PM
Leonardo DiCaprio’s vape pen has captured the Internet’s hearts and minds
Has the vape pen reached peak cool factor?
While the actual awards ceremony provided a much-needed diverse counterpoint to the #OscarsSoWhite Academy Award nominations, DiCaprio stole the show by casually puffing a vape pen—that’s Advanced Personal Vaporizer to sticklers and “millennial bait” to the rest of us.
The actor also won his first “Outstanding Performance” SAG award thanks to his Oscar-nominated leading role as real-life badass Hugh Glass in The Revenant. But instead of wondering whether this means Leo’s Oscar curse will finally be broken, most of us were just divided about whether his vape pen is cool, romantic, or just plain douchey.
Team romance had plenty of daydreaming to do:
Team “Vaping Leo is Culturally Significant” also got plenty of cheerleaders:
But Team Douchebag also got in plenty of jeering:
I hope Leonardo DiCaprio does a method biopic about the kid whose e-cig blows up in his face. God what a douche.
— Rae-Anne (@kitchenwitchin) January 31, 2016
Only-fucks-22-year-old-10s-fat-vape-pen Dicaprio is probably the best celeb and this is how we will remember him in 50, 100 years
— Kalea Larsen (@Kalea_Larsen) January 31, 2016
While vape pens may be a very healthy alternative to smoking, they’re mostly a perennial source for public mockery. It looks like not even DiCaprio’s vape pen will be able to change that public perception. Maybe a few more vape-offs with Revenant and Inception co-star Tom Hardy will help?
Still, it’s nice to know that even if we lose the “Where is my Oscar?” Leo meme at the upcoming Academy Awards, “Where is my vape pen?” will be waiting in the wings.
Aja Romano is a geek culture reporter and fandom expert. Their reporting at the Daily Dot covered everything from Harry Potter and anime to Tumblr and Gamergate. Romano joined Vox as a staff reporter in 2016.