- Beyoncé’s ‘Lemonade’ is finally coming to Spotify, Apple Music Wednesday 8:48 PM
- Ubisoft is offering Assassin’s Creed Unity for free to support Notre Dame Wednesday 8:25 PM
- Are teens really eating foods with the ‘shells on’ for a new viral challenge? Wednesday 6:39 PM
- The new Samsung Galaxy Fold already seems to be falling apart Wednesday 4:17 PM
- Think the ‘Game of Thrones’ spirals are all connected? Think again Wednesday 3:13 PM
- Rudy Giuliani retweets prominent QAnon supporter Wednesday 2:03 PM
- India bans TikTok over concerns of child endangerment Wednesday 2:00 PM
- JJ Abrams says there’s more to Rey’s origin story Wednesday 1:16 PM
- Lisa Ann says Equinox trainer looked up her number and sent her a creepy text Wednesday 1:01 PM
- 8 essentials every grad needs to succeed as an adult Wednesday 1:00 PM
- Makeup artist shows you how to become Kylie Jenner’s baby Wednesday 12:54 PM
- People are more concerned with this woman’s age than her being a school shooting threat Wednesday 12:14 PM
- Why are conservatives so obsessed with cargo shorts? Wednesday 11:46 AM
- How to transfer your Nintendo Switch save data Wednesday 11:45 AM
- Trans military ban causes student to lose ROTC scholarship Wednesday 11:04 AM
Leonardo DiCaprio’s vape pen has captured the Internet’s hearts and minds
Has the vape pen reached peak cool factor?
While the actual awards ceremony provided a much-needed diverse counterpoint to the #OscarsSoWhite Academy Award nominations, DiCaprio stole the show by casually puffing a vape pen—that’s Advanced Personal Vaporizer to sticklers and “millennial bait” to the rest of us.
The actor also won his first “Outstanding Performance” SAG award thanks to his Oscar-nominated leading role as real-life badass Hugh Glass in The Revenant. But instead of wondering whether this means Leo’s Oscar curse will finally be broken, most of us were just divided about whether his vape pen is cool, romantic, or just plain douchey.
Team romance had plenty of daydreaming to do:
Team “Vaping Leo is Culturally Significant” also got plenty of cheerleaders:
But Team Douchebag also got in plenty of jeering:
I hope Leonardo DiCaprio does a method biopic about the kid whose e-cig blows up in his face. God what a douche.
— Rae-Anne (@kitchenwitchin) January 31, 2016
Only-fucks-22-year-old-10s-fat-vape-pen Dicaprio is probably the best celeb and this is how we will remember him in 50, 100 years
— Kalea Larsen (@Kalea_Larsen) January 31, 2016
While vape pens may be a very healthy alternative to smoking, they’re mostly a perennial source for public mockery. It looks like not even DiCaprio’s vape pen will be able to change that public perception. Maybe a few more vape-offs with Revenant and Inception co-star Tom Hardy will help?
Still, it’s nice to know that even if we lose the “Where is my Oscar?” Leo meme at the upcoming Academy Awards, “Where is my vape pen?” will be waiting in the wings.
Aja Romano is a geek culture reporter and fandom expert. Their reporting at the Daily Dot covered everything from Harry Potter and anime to Tumblr and Gamergate. Romano joined Vox as a staff reporter in 2016.