- Daniel Caesar dons cape for whiteness—and gets canceled Wednesday 4:29 PM
- Triton is a new malware ‘deliberately’ designed to put lives at risk Wednesday 3:23 PM
- ‘Into the Dark: I’m Just F*cking with You’ is one of the series’ best Wednesday 1:54 PM
- Trump’s latest prop, a map of ISIS, gets memed Wednesday 12:54 PM
- HBO sends fans on a global scavenger hunt for 6 Iron Thrones Wednesday 11:51 AM
- The Awkward Family Photos game is Cards Against Humanity for meme lovers Wednesday 11:50 AM
- London firefighters’ organization accuses ‘Peppa Pig’ of sexism Wednesday 11:41 AM
- YouTuber accused of abusing her children to make kid-friendly content Wednesday 11:20 AM
- Ari Fleischer’s Iraq War tweet isn’t going over well Wednesday 10:54 AM
- Cop arrested for recording man’s genitals, forcing mentally ill man to twerk Wednesday 10:37 AM
- MoviePass rebrands its unlimited plan, again Wednesday 10:37 AM
- Former Alaska senator launches meme-filled 2020 primary campaign Wednesday 10:17 AM
- The Shane Dawson cat controversy has resulted in these sex memes Wednesday 10:06 AM
- Sarah Sanders mocks CNN reporter with ‘dear diary’ tweet Wednesday 9:03 AM
- Know what you’re signing up for thanks to these dating site reviews Wednesday 8:58 AM
Leonardo DiCaprio’s vape pen has captured the Internet’s hearts and minds
Has the vape pen reached peak cool factor?
While the actual awards ceremony provided a much-needed diverse counterpoint to the #OscarsSoWhite Academy Award nominations, DiCaprio stole the show by casually puffing a vape pen—that’s Advanced Personal Vaporizer to sticklers and “millennial bait” to the rest of us.
The actor also won his first “Outstanding Performance” SAG award thanks to his Oscar-nominated leading role as real-life badass Hugh Glass in The Revenant. But instead of wondering whether this means Leo’s Oscar curse will finally be broken, most of us were just divided about whether his vape pen is cool, romantic, or just plain douchey.
Team romance had plenty of daydreaming to do:
Team “Vaping Leo is Culturally Significant” also got plenty of cheerleaders:
But Team Douchebag also got in plenty of jeering:
I hope Leonardo DiCaprio does a method biopic about the kid whose e-cig blows up in his face. God what a douche.
— Rae-Anne (@kitchenwitchin) January 31, 2016
Only-fucks-22-year-old-10s-fat-vape-pen Dicaprio is probably the best celeb and this is how we will remember him in 50, 100 years
— Kalea Larsen (@Kalea_Larsen) January 31, 2016
While vape pens may be a very healthy alternative to smoking, they’re mostly a perennial source for public mockery. It looks like not even DiCaprio’s vape pen will be able to change that public perception. Maybe a few more vape-offs with Revenant and Inception co-star Tom Hardy will help?
Still, it’s nice to know that even if we lose the “Where is my Oscar?” Leo meme at the upcoming Academy Awards, “Where is my vape pen?” will be waiting in the wings.
Aja Romano is a geek culture reporter and fandom expert. Their reporting at the Daily Dot covered everything from Harry Potter and anime to Tumblr and Gamergate. Romano joined Vox as a staff reporter in 2016.