- Trans/Sex: Let trans art be messy, weird, and uncomfortable 6 Years Ago
- Pediatrician gets death threats after pro-vaccine TikTok video Monday 9:37 PM
- This Australia-themed dildo is raising money to fight the bushfires Monday 8:26 PM
- Influencers say they’ve received unwanted sexual solicitations worth thousands Monday 7:39 PM
- Pregnant woman masterfully trolls gender-obsessed relative Monday 3:05 PM
- HBO’s ‘Curb Your Enthusiasm’ returns from a 2-year break with brand new ways to make you cringe Monday 3:00 PM
- Far-right accused of impersonating antifa online to encourage violence at Richmond rally Monday 1:59 PM
- Second Amendment protesters defend gun rights with truly terrible signs Monday 12:52 PM
- David Lynch surprises fans by dropping Netflix short out of the blue Monday 12:29 PM
- Poop-focused parody of Kent State Gun Girl sparks conservative ire Monday 11:58 AM
- 6-year-old raises $250K for Australian bushfires by making clay koalas Monday 11:31 AM
- What you need to know about Clearview AI and its facial recognition app Monday 10:36 AM
- Apple TV+ gets its first SAG Award while Netflix and Amazon nab 2 each Monday 10:07 AM
- Facebook apologizes for translating Chinese president’s name to ‘Mr. Sh*thole’ Monday 9:45 AM
- New York Times endorses Klobarren for president Monday 8:45 AM
Lady Gaga’s seashell bikini saved the VMAs
It’s telling that MTV had a whole livefeed (mostly) dedicated to Gaga’s butt.
Say what you will about Lady Gaga’s outlandish fashion choices, but on Sunday night, the Mother Monster’s skimpy seashell bikini was by far the most tweeted- and GIFed-about subject at the MTV Video Music Awards (VMAs).
Since 11pm ET alone, Gaga has been mentioned on Twitter more than 800,000 times thanks to a thong bikini she wore on stage during her performance of “Applause.”
“She executed some precise dance moves with her ensemble, and lip-synched some pedestrian lyrics,” the Chicago Tribune’s Greg Kot reported. “Tucked inside all that moving scenery, there was a new song, I’m pretty sure. Who cares? It’s the VMAs—where it doesn’t matter if it doesn’t at least hit ‘ridiculous’ on the watchability meter.”
Instead of changing into something more comfortable following her opening performance, she just sat right down, noted New York Times reporter Brian Stelter:
Lady Gaga just walked back to her seat… and she’s still wearing that string bikini. #VMAs
— Brian Stelter (@brianstelter) August 26, 2013
Okay well I’m wearing Lady Gaga’s seashell bikini for Halloween, obviously.
— David Robert (@DavidRobert) August 26, 2013
While seated, Gaga was pampered and prodded by her assistants, making sure her bikini was on just right. All of these moments were captured live thanks to “VMA all access,” MTV’s free livestream, which covered the audience, VIP room, and backstage—everything but the actual performance.
And, with the camera placed perfectly at waist level, it also captured plenty of Gaga’s rear end.
Later, Gaga went over to congratulate One Direction on winning Song of the Summer for “Best Song Ever.”
— Jeremy Cabalona (@jeremycabo) August 26, 2013
But the camera still followed her butt:
Then they took a pic together, caught on MTV’s Gaga Ass Cam: pic.twitter.com/oDqnqBDfWw
— Cooper Fleishman (@_Cooper) August 26, 2013
Photo via weheartit.com/Tumblr | GIFs by Jason Reed and Fernando Alfonso III
Fernando Alfonso III served as an early Reddit and 4chan reporter and the Daily Dot’s first art director until 2016. He’s gone on to report at Lexington’s Herald-Leader and at the Houston Chronicle.