- 2016 election stories the ‘Newsroom’ reboot will cover Today 6:30 AM
- How to stream Brandon Rios vs. Humberto Soto for free Today 6:00 AM
- ‘The Haunting of Hill House’ heads to ‘Bly Manor’ for next installment Today 5:45 AM
- How to stream James DeGale vs. Chris Eubank Jr. for free Today 5:30 AM
- How to stream UFC Fight Night 145 in Prague for free Today 5:00 AM
- R. Kelly charged in Chicago with multiple counts of sex abuse Friday 7:51 PM
- Elon Musk finally hosts PewDiePie’s meme review Friday 6:27 PM
- Netflix throws ‘Umbrella Academy’-themed wedding for fans Friday 4:54 PM
- Report: Facebook collects app data on users’ body weight, menstrual cycles Friday 3:38 PM
- Amy Klobuchar reportedly ate salad with a comb, and Twitter’s got questions Friday 2:47 PM
- Nobody likes Spotify’s new update Friday 2:34 PM
- Student assaulted on campus while tabling for right-wing group Friday 1:56 PM
- Kim Kardashian West sues fashion company for using her likeness to sell clothes Friday 1:12 PM
- The Oscar-nominated movies you’ll actually want to watch again Friday 12:56 PM
- Viral graphic shows the moment Apple became the top brand Friday 12:27 PM
Kim Kardashian isn’t running a campaign anytime soon, but she says she is open to the idea of holding political office sometime in the future.
The reality star made an appearance on CNN’s The Van Jones Show to talk about her recent experience advocating for Alice Johnson, a woman who was serving a life sentence without parole for a first-time drug offense until Kardashian stepped in. On May 30, Kardashian ended up meeting with the president over Johnson’s case, and June 6, the grandmother was pardoned.
Speaking to Jones this weekend, Kardashian said, “I honestly saw that if I could use my platform just to do something for one person, that it opens the conversation for so much more and for other people to want to do the same thing.”
The phone call I just had with Alice will forever be one of my best memories. Telling her for the first time and hearing her screams while crying together is a moment I will never forget.
— Kim Kardashian West (@KimKardashian) June 6, 2018
Alice’s scream ❤️❤️❤️ https://t.co/GURqdDUJZA
— Kim Kardashian West (@KimKardashian) June 14, 2018
Kardashian emphasized the need to put aside “personal feelings” so Americans can address “really important issues,” which prompted Jones to ask: Would you ever run for office?
“I guess never say never,” Kardashian said. “But that’s not going to be like, ‘Kim’s running.’ That’s not where I am.”
So maybe she won’t be running anytime soon, but at least she’s keeping the option on the table.
Kardashian said she doesn’t want to follow a specific party line, and for the time being she’s hoping to continue helping incarcerated women. Fair enough.
Christine Friar is a writer and editor in New York who focuses on streaming entertainment and internet culture. Her work has appeared in the Awl, the Fader, New York Magazine, Paper Magazine, Vogue, Elle, and more.