- Walmart is suing Tesla over fires at stores with solar panels 4 Years Ago
- Jeremy Renner asks nicely for Sony to let Spider-Man back in the MCU Today 2:51 PM
- The best and safest torrenting sites you should be using in 2019 Today 2:47 PM
- ‘Beyoncé’s Assistant for a Day’ creator is releasing more games on storytelling app Yarn Today 1:54 PM
- Why does everyone keep falling for that Instagram and Facebook hoax? Today 1:46 PM
- A bunch of celebrities fell for that viral Instagram hoax Today 1:17 PM
- Former Die Antwoord crew member says video shows ‘homophobic attack’ Today 1:13 PM
- How to stream all the MLS Rivalry Week matches Today 1:13 PM
- Nevada officials issue warnings for people prepping to ‘Storm Area 51’ Today 12:55 PM
- These are the 8 best fighting games available today Today 12:43 PM
- Pluto TV and the NFL launch the NFL Channel Today 12:40 PM
- Trump: ‘I am the chosen one’ Today 12:33 PM
- Video shows arrest of 15-year-old who threatened school shooting online Today 12:11 PM
- Woman finds massive diamond after watching YouTube video on how to find diamonds Today 11:30 AM
- Up to 20 states are banding together to probe Facebook, Google Today 11:08 AM
Kanye West tweeted nudes of Kim Kardashian to celebrate her Twitter milestone
It was a big day.
Kanye felt #blessed.
It’s a classic “I love my wife!” shoutout, a level of praise every proud hubby should try to emulate—the 2015 version of Lloyd Dobler’s boombox in Say Anything.
But Kanye added a zesty twist, a little garnish on his tweetstorm: the word “SWISH!!!”
The term caught on quickly. SWISH!!! became a meme within minutes.
The parodies swooped in.
So! What is swish? Where did it come from?
It’s been on Urban Dictionary for 13 years. The most common definition is the sound a basketball makes when it flies through a hoop without touching the rim—nothin’ but net. “Swishy” is also a somewhat derogatory phrase for gay dudes, and “swish” is a slang term in the U.K. that means “cool.”
Kanye’s probably alluding to basketball here. It’s a lovely, triumphant phrase, evoking a clean Stephen Curry three-point shot, accompanied by a fist-pump and a sprint down the court. It’s also a little sexual: a ball plummeting into a net without a bit of interference.
Here’s to SWISH!!! You’ve got about seven days to use it freely until the brands discover it…
One week till a fast-food brand tweets cheeseburger with the caption “SWISH”
— Cooper Fleishman (@_Cooper) March 16, 2015
…nope, never mind.
Photos via Kanye West
A former assigning editor for the Daily Dot, Cooper Fleishman's work focused on the web culture and niche internet communities. He joined Mic as a senior editor in 2015. His work has been published by HyperVocal and the Good Men Project, and he previously copyedited for Rolling Stone, Men's Journal, and Us Weekly.