- Camila Cabello must do more about her racist history Today 6:00 AM
- Instagram and Facebook are reportedly blocking queer ads Friday 8:58 PM
- Review: Tyler Perry’s ‘A Fall From Grace’ is both nonsensical and utterly predictable Friday 6:48 PM
- Is Hulu censoring the Iran episode of Anthony Bourdain’s ‘Parts Unknown’? Friday 6:05 PM
- Trump admin celebrates Michelle Obama’s birthday by proposing rollback of her signature initiative Friday 4:01 PM
- TSA apologizes after agent grabs indigenous woman’s braids, says ‘giddyup’ Friday 3:28 PM
- Blue Bell ice cream licker pleads guilty Friday 2:54 PM
- 7 fortune-telling sites for when you’re bored Friday 2:21 PM
- Governor bans sex puns on free condom wrappers Friday 2:16 PM
- Is Justin Bieber’s ‘Yummy’ video secretly about Pizzagate? Friday 1:01 PM
- Woah Vicky rips out her hair in botched cultural appropriation attempt Friday 12:30 PM
- Here’s an exclusive look at ‘Weathering With You’ Friday 11:57 AM
- TikTok dudes are dipping their balls in soy sauce for ‘science’ Friday 11:49 AM
- Pete Buttigieg’s denial of fixing bread prices becomes its own meme Friday 11:10 AM
- Houston Astros get torched with buzzer memes after new revelation Friday 10:41 AM
Stop what you’re doing and listen to this Kanye West and Depeche Mode mashup from ‘Atomic Blonde’
The fusion of the legendary British electronic band’s ‘Personal Jesus’ and West’s ‘Black Skinhead’ is the mashup you didn’t know you needed.
The upcoming action film Atomic Blonde, a super-stylized vehicle for Charlize Theron, upped the ante on Tuesday with its second trailer. Mostly because it featured a fantastic Kanye West and Depeche Mode mashup.
Purists could have a field day with this mashup of Depeche Mode’s “Personal Jesus” and West’s “Black Skinhead,” but there’s no denying that “Skinhead” kicks considerable, modern weight to the British electronic band’s lyrics, especially given the visuals. It comes in around 1:08, on the back end of noise pop band Health’s “Blue Monday” cover.
The trailer itself is spectacular: It has a thrilling car chase, Theron smashing faces with expensive high heels, and passionately kissing another woman.
I didn't realize how much I would enjoy a Kanye West Depeche Mode mashup— Rez (@rez_zilla) April 11, 2017
Taking place on the eve of the Berlin Wall’s collapse, the film features Theron as ass-kicking MI6 spy Lorraine Broughton, who works with Berlin station chief David Percival (James McAvoy) to destroy an espionage syndicate that’s threatening Western intelligence.
Here’s the first trailer for Atomic Blonde:
The film, already garnering mostly good reviews, is expected to make serious waves this summer.
Kahron Spearman is a music and film critic whose work can also regularly be regularly found in the Austin Chronicle.