- Fortnite streamer Tfue sues gaming organization FaZe Clan over contract dispute Today 12:28 AM
- Report finds some users can’t opt out of Facebook’s face recognition Monday 7:27 PM
- Get emotional over this real-life pastor baptizing an anime girl in virtual reality Monday 6:53 PM
- Twitter wants to know what Jack in the Box did to offend Kim Kardashian Monday 6:38 PM
- ‘Game of Thrones’ meme claims King’s Landing is an ‘inside job’ Monday 6:06 PM
- Report: Personal data of 49 million Instagram influencers exposed online Monday 4:57 PM
- ‘Stranger Things’ season 3 trailer teases a wet, hot American summer Monday 4:02 PM
- What Daenerys’ biggest ‘Game of Thrones’ scenes have in common with Nazi propaganda Monday 3:12 PM
- Here’s what’s coming to Amazon Prime in June Monday 2:11 PM
- Where did Jon Snow go? Unpacking the ‘Game of Thrones’ ending Monday 2:04 PM
- So, did anyone actually win ‘Game of Thrones’? Monday 1:29 PM
- The surprising religious subtext of ‘John Wick: Chapter 3’ Monday 12:53 PM
- Robin Arryn got hot—and the internet is seriously shook Monday 12:40 PM
- Tana Mongeau is going to VidCon a year after TanaCon disaster Monday 12:12 PM
- What have 2020 Democrats said about Alabama’s abortion ban? Monday 11:36 AM
It’s time to infiltrate the boys club.
After more than 15 years of Stewart, and three years of Craig Kilborn before him, it’s high time the show breaks down the late-night boys club and hires a lead anchor that is not another straight, white, and male comic. There’s plenty to pick from in the wake of Stewart’s departure, from seasoned correspondents to all sorts of interesting comedians. Here are seven badass options.
Pros: She’s the name on every Tumblr user’s lips in terms of a replacement. She’s had several breakout correspondent moments since joining the show, and can further connect the series to a younger demographic.
Cons: She’s still very young, and not the most senior woman on the show right now. She hasn’t been tested in the anchor position yet, so it’s a gamble.
Pros: She’s got years of experience on the show, and even some behind the desk during a recent Stewart sick day. Bee has been on the show since 2003, and is the longest-serving correspondent in its history—there’s more than enough talent and chops in place to cruise here.
Amy Pohler and Tina Fey
Pros: We know they’re hilarious, we know they can host, and we know they are competent anchors. They’re a TV dream team of funny women.
Cons: They’re extremely famous, and both surely busy with different career aspects like film and scripted television projects of their own, so this is just a reach for the stars moment. But either is a surefire instant hire.
Pros: She’s devastatingly funny and smart, and has held hosting gigs on E! and as part of The Talk on CBS. She’s also got geek cred that rivals Stephen Colbert.
Cons: She’s hardly a household name, and errs more toward the side of geeky pop culture than political—a big problem given the show’s biting history of government satire.
Pros: She already commands her own funny Comedy Central show and has the balls to say anything in an interview. It’d be fast-moving, big laughs.
Cons: She suffers from the “not a household name” issue that many of the other women face, she also may be too R-rated for the host chair.
Pros: Trans visibility in the past year has finally increased across media, and a trans host for The Daily Show would be a huge step forward. Plus, Cox is hilarious and smart.
Cons: An untested host in high profile settings, like most other contenders we mentioned. But that’s kind of the point—it’s time to attack new perspectives and frontiers.
Who did we miss? There’s tons of other well-qualified women for the job, and hopefully Comedy Central gives them a reasonable shot at the desk.
Photo via Comedy Central/YouTube
A former YouTube reporter for the Daily Dot, Rae Votta has more than a decade of experience in the digital and entertainment industries. Her work has appeared on AOL, Huffington Post, Out Magazine, Logo, VH1, Current TV, Billboard, and NYMag. She joined Netflix in 2016.