- Zoë Kravitz will play Catwoman after being told she was too ‘urban’ for ‘Dark Knight Rises’ 5 Years Ago
- The 5 best Spike Lee movies Today 5:00 AM
- Jesse Eisenberg and Imogen Poots visit suburban hell in ‘Vivarium’ Today 4:30 AM
- Spoiler-free review: HBO’s ‘Watchmen’ leans into the comic’s political side Today 3:00 AM
- #DogsAgainstBrexit highlights the negative impact of Brexit on pets Monday 7:44 PM
- Congress investigating whether vaping manufacturers used social media bots Monday 6:34 PM
- Influencer accuses Lisa Frank of stealing apartment design, says that’s why she’s getting evicted (updated) Monday 6:12 PM
- Brits are sharing their ‘awfully British Amazon reviews’ on Twitter Monday 4:08 PM
- How to stream Mexico vs. Panama in Concacaf Nations League play Monday 3:38 PM
- How to stream U.S. vs. Canada in the Concacaf Nations League tournament Monday 3:21 PM
- Fortnite’s black hole launches conspiracy theories and memes Monday 3:19 PM
- WeWork pulls phone booths over formaldehyde concerns Monday 3:06 PM
- Mark Zuckerberg is reportedly having private meetings with prominent conservatives Monday 3:03 PM
- Firework is a social video app with a literal twist Monday 2:46 PM
- Pro-Trump meme comedian Carpe Donktum suspended by Twitter (updated) Monday 1:35 PM
John Oliver’s fireworks bit is explosively funny
Even on vacation, John Oliver is on-point.
John Oliver, whose HBO hit Last Week Tonight took last week off, won’t let something like a little hiatus stop him from reporting on the past week’s biggest news story.
Despite everything Oliver could’ve possibly predicted, he stuck with the utterly predictable this time around: Independence Day “or, as they call it where I’m from,” says Oliver, “the Day of Colonial Aggression.” And, of course, it wouldn’t be the Fourth of July without fireworks.
And so, with excruciating detail, Oliver described what was probably your Fourth of July weekend fireworks experience, from the parking hell to the explosive finale.
All that’s needed is a mention of our inability to watch fireworks without having our phones out and it’s a perfect picture.
Photo via Last Week Tonight with John Oliver/YouTube
Michelle Jaworski is a staff writer and the resident Game of Thrones expert at the Daily Dot. She covers entertainment, geek culture, and pop culture and has brought her knowledge to conventions like Con of Thrones. She is based in New Jersey.