- Animator for Netflix’s ‘Carmen Sandiego’ says he was fired after asking for fair pay Sunday 3:17 PM
- YouTube reverses decision to remove creators’ badges Sunday 1:47 PM
- Aron Eisenberg, ‘Star Trek: Deep Space Nine’ actor, dead at 50 Sunday 11:35 AM
- How to check if Yahoo owes you $358 Sunday 9:25 AM
- How to stream Bears vs. Redskins on Monday Night Football Sunday 7:00 AM
- What are the best alternatives to the electoral college? Sunday 6:30 AM
- The best PS4 games you can’t play anywhere else Sunday 6:00 AM
- How to watch the 2019 Emmy Awards Sunday 5:00 AM
- How to stream ‘Power’ season 6, episode 5 Sunday 4:00 AM
- Former developer at software company deletes his code to protest its ties to ICE Saturday 4:21 PM
- A mysterious website is doxing Hong Kong protesters and journalists Saturday 1:44 PM
- The best ‘Skyrim’ followers and how to get them Saturday 1:26 PM
- Why Joel Osteen gets cyberbullied every time Houston floods Saturday 12:40 PM
Celebrities are heeding Jimmy Fallon’s call to help Flint residents get clean water
He’s calling for 10 friends to match his donation—and they’re already coming in.
Residents of Flint, Michigan, are in the midst of a water crisis after the city’s water supply became contaminated and laced with lead from aging pipes. The crisis, which began when state officials switched the water supply from Detroit to the Flint River, prompted President Obama to declare a state of emergency. It is believed that thousands of children have been exposed to lead, and residents are still in need of clean water.
Celebrities like Cher, Eminem, Mark Wahlberg, Wiz Khalifa, and Sean “Diddy” Combs are telling their fans about the crisis and have collectively donated thousands of bottles to Flint. Fallon is joining the effort, but he isn’t doing so alone.
The late-night host tweeted to his 34.7 million followers that he planned to donate $10,000 to Community Foundation Greater Flint (CFGF) to provide drinking water to residents, and he challenged 10 of his friends to do the same.
Almost instantly, Fallon started getting pledges from other celebrities who promised to match his $10,000 donation.
It’s only been a few days since Fallon’s initial challenge, but the support is already impressive. He’s very grateful to the people who have stepped up.
Thanks to Fallon’s large TV and Internet platforms, it’s likely that even more celebrities and donations will heed his call and donate to Flint.
Illustration by Max Fleishman
Michelle Jaworski is a staff writer and the resident Game of Thrones expert at the Daily Dot. She covers entertainment, geek culture, and pop culture and has brought her knowledge to conventions like Con of Thrones. She is based in New Jersey.