- People are pissed a CGI influencer said she was sexually assaulted Sunday 4:56 PM
- BTS’ RM says he’s lost 33 AirPods Sunday 3:59 PM
- Taylor Swift’s ‘hyper-realistic’ cat cake is scaring fans Sunday 3:03 PM
- Nick Cannon is reportedly playing his Eminem diss track on repeat Sunday 1:20 PM
- College quarterback blasted by ex-girlfriend in savage AF breakup TikTok Sunday 12:27 PM
- Hallmark pulls ad featuring lesbian couple after conservative protest Sunday 11:27 AM
- Actress’ tweet calling out fellow passenger for not moving seats backfires Sunday 10:43 AM
- The 10 most influential hashtags of the decade Sunday 6:30 AM
- A lonely grandma sought family to spend Christmas with on Craigslist Saturday 5:45 PM
- Airbnb bans white supremacists tied to Iron March forum Saturday 5:07 PM
- Did a Twitter user really get tricked into naming baby ‘Jack Ingof’? Saturday 4:46 PM
- State of emergency declared in New Orleans following ‘cyberattack’ Saturday 4:12 PM
- Video shows boy getting beat up–mom says it’s because he wore MAGA hat Saturday 3:54 PM
- Billboard changing albums chart to count YouTube streams Saturday 2:43 PM
- TikTok’s 20 most popular songs of 2019 Saturday 2:14 PM
Remembering Jan Hooks’s 5 best ‘SNL’ sketches
“Life is a lot like live TV. You just go with it.”
Saturday Night Live alum Jan Hooks passed away on Oct. 9 at the age of 57. The cause of death is still unknown, but on Facebook and Twitter, our digital mourning ground, the remembrances have come pouring in.
— Kevin Nealon (@kevin_nealon) October 10, 2014
From 1986 to 1991, Hooks was a cast member on SNL, and she created some of the most memorable characters of the era. In this recent “The Women of SNL” retrospective, former cast members like Ana Gasteyer, Tina Fey, and Maya Rudolph mock The Real Housewives franchise as part of a faux “reunion.” Hooks appears via satellite, in bed, and makes a joke about how she fell down the stairs and got two black eyes from her boobs hitting her in the face.
She then delivers the gut-punch: “Life is a lot like live TV. You just go with it.”
Hooks knew how to toe the line between comedy and sincerity perfectly. Hopefully there will be an SNL tribute this weekend. Here are five of her best sketches.
1) Tammy Wynette
Hooks was great at channeling singers, and her Tammy Wynette impression is no exception.
2) Kathie Lee Gifford
Here she plays Kathie Lee Gifford, singing to a monkey.
3) Sinéad O’Connor
Hooks and Phil Hartman were SNL’s power duo; their chemistry was untouchable and any scene they were in together was gold. Here they are in the classic Sinatra Group sketch, in which Hartman plays a cantankerous Sinatra and Hooks plays Sinéad O’Connor.
Corazon Aquino, forever.
5) Love is a Dream
The Hooks/Hartman short “Love is a Dream” is a classic, and an example of how SNL could sometimes hit you right in the heart.
You can watch all her sketches here.
Screengrab via Hulu
Audra Schroeder is the Daily Dot’s senior entertainment writer, and she focuses on streaming, comedy, and music. Her work has previously appeared in the Austin Chronicle, the Dallas Observer, NPR, ESPN, Bitch, and the Village Voice. She is based in Austin, Texas.