- ‘Weathering With You’ blends fantasy and realism in a magical love story Saturday 6:18 PM
- Kidnapped teen used Snapchat to get rescued Saturday 4:35 PM
- What fans do and don’t want to see in future ‘Far Cry’ installments Saturday 4:26 PM
- Aaron Carter accused of stealing lion art for merch Saturday 3:10 PM
- Instagram’s hidden like counts were inspired by a ‘Black Mirror’ episode Saturday 2:06 PM
- Student says they were expelled for tricking teacher into making inappropriate TikTok Saturday 12:26 PM
- Space Force uniforms relentlessly mocked, memed Saturday 10:52 AM
- Man flamed after admitting he called police on Target employee over a toothbrush Saturday 9:10 AM
- Netflix’s ‘Vivir Dos Veces’ searches for a last chance at first love Saturday 8:00 AM
- Camila Cabello must do more about her racist history Saturday 6:00 AM
- Instagram and Facebook are reportedly blocking queer ads Friday 8:58 PM
- Review: Tyler Perry’s ‘A Fall From Grace’ is both nonsensical and utterly predictable Friday 6:48 PM
- Is Hulu censoring the Iran episode of Anthony Bourdain’s ‘Parts Unknown’? Friday 6:05 PM
- Trump admin celebrates Michelle Obama’s birthday by proposing rollback of her signature initiative Friday 4:01 PM
- TSA apologizes after agent grabs indigenous woman’s braids, says ‘giddyup’ Friday 3:28 PM
Rapper Gucci Mane is back and better than ever. With a hell of a lot less gold in his mouth, the new and improved artist is flexing some rock-hard abs and actually wearing T-shirts after his early release from an Indiana penitentiary in May. His “Welcome Home” party at Atlanta’s Elan Mansion was lit enough to monument his official return, and it is safe to say the Trap God is finally back in the game.
Gucci Mane’s drastic glow up, however, has left many perplexed. The internet has become a hub for conspiracy theorists to debate on whether the man we now see is, in fact, the real Radric Davis. So inevitably, we, too, have to ask:
Gucci Mane … is that really you?
Though many theories are circulating on social media, it seems that fans are most convinced that the rebirth of Gucci Mane is actually a clone created by the government.
Yes, a clone.
Much of the traction began after the satirical news site ThingsUThink.com published an article claiming that Lil Boosie does not buy the Gucci Mane comeback:
I rock with Gucci the long way but that ain’t the real Gucci, we both sitting in the studio and he seemed lost and after his show at Mansion he called me Herman” -Lil Boosie
(For the record, Lil Boosie’s real name is Torrence Hatch and not Herman, but who cares, right?)
Twitter users are taking the possibility of a Gucci Mane replica very seriously, creating a lack of consensus and friction in the Twittersphere. Some are certain that the transformed Gucci is not Gucci at all.
Gucci Mane is currently at Area 51 and they made this clone Gucci to distract us from the fact that J Cole went platinum with no features
— R + L = Deion (@DeionGottaSTFU) June 21, 2016
Others are not convinced that the government would spend time or money on such an elaborate operation, lashing out at the theory’s legitimacy:
Gucci mane not a clone Gucci simply evolved like a Pokemon he’s at his final form
— NASTY FROM THE BLOCK (@__JUICELXRD) June 22, 2016
People think the government cloned gucci mane and that the real one is still locked up lmao why tf would they clone gucci out of all people
— Coan (@FaZeCoan) June 22, 2016
Y’all act like Gucci mane was abducted by aliens in jail & we looking at a clone he grew tf up lol shut up you should do the same.
— FOUND DEAD IN CALI (@astrog1rll) June 21, 2016
lmfao bro gucci being a clone is easily the most headass thing of the year.
— hbíc (@walkwithfaithh) June 21, 2016
Jus cause Gucci got out and matured y’all tryna say its a clone 😭 let mfs live they life
— KYY ⛅️ (@Sheloveskyy) June 21, 2016
So bc Gucci stuck with his girl, started eating healthy and wears a shirt, he’s a clone? 😂😂 society really messed y’all heads up 😂😂😂😂😂😂
— tiki momma (@taryssss) June 21, 2016
Whoever think Gucci has a clone I got pounds of loud going for $1,100, send me your money first.
— RADRIC DAVIS (@TEVO_SPRITE) June 20, 2016
Give me 1 good reason why they would clone Gucci mane out of all people
— ki. (@Mikiah_) June 21, 2016
CIA: Mr. President. We’ve finally perfected cloning and are willing to test it out on civilians.
Obama: Clone Gucci Mane.
— Kazeem Famuyide (@RealLifeKaz) June 21, 2016
In a much anticipated video message to fans, Mane cheekily addressed the clone claims by simply stating he will “neither support or deny those accusations:”
This isn’t the first time fans have convinced themselves that a celebrity has a clone. Not too long ago, people speculated that Beyoncé had a clone after her Lemonade album release.
Even though we cannot refute that Barack Obama and his squad ran a top-secret mission to clone the rapper, we can ask ourselves about its likelihood. So, has prison made Gucci Mane a genuinely changed man…or a genuinely changed man? Drake says that it is none other than Guwop himself.
Dahlia Dandashi is a multimedia content producer. Her work has been published at the Austin American-Statesman and Viceland. An Arab-American raised in Dubai, she is based in Austin, Texas.