- Who is Corn Pop? Here are all the theories about the gang leader from Joe Biden’s past Sunday 4:37 PM
- Fresh sexual misconduct allegations against Kavanaugh spur calls for impeachment Sunday 3:28 PM
- Mike Pence says a triple crown winning racehorse bit him Sunday 12:51 PM
- Disney CEO Bob Iger leaves Apple board amid streaming wars Sunday 12:01 PM
- Influencer Destiny Marquez faces backlash for berating Forever 21 employee Sunday 10:32 AM
- Chelsea Handler tackles system racism in ‘Hello Privilege. It’s Me, Chelsea’ Sunday 9:18 AM
- Gun control proposal: Trump, lawmakers considering background check-conducting app Sunday 9:05 AM
- How to stream Browns vs. Jets on Monday Night Football Sunday 7:00 AM
- What are anons? Sunday 6:30 AM
- How to stream Eagles vs. Falcons on Sunday Night Football Sunday 6:00 AM
- How to stream ‘Power’ season 6, episode 4 Sunday 5:00 AM
- How to stream WWE’s Clash of Champions 2019 Saturday 8:00 PM
- How ‘F*ck off Scotland’ became a Scottish rallying cry amid Brexit madness Saturday 6:28 PM
- A Missouri officer resigned after his Islamophobic Facebook posts surfaced Saturday 5:08 PM
- Adding ‘Triggered’ to stock photos of white men creates Netflix comedy special thumbnails Saturday 3:10 PM
During his nine seasons on air, How I Met Your Mother’s Barney Stinson never shied away from showing off his lavish lifestyle. From suiting up in the most expensive wears to paying for seemingly endless games of laser tag, the keeper of the bro code certainly wasn’t averse to spending a little money.
But how did the Neil Patrick Harris character manage to afford all of his indulgences? According to the accounting of one fan, he was pulling down seven figures a year.
Likely inspired by the popular “How much did Joey owe Chandler?” thread, redditor Sir-Zyph began tabulating Stinson’s salary right down to the exact dollar. So how did this HIMYM devotee arrive at his figure? With some rather complicated suit-based math that gets broken down like this:
- In the season 9 episode, “Unpause,” Barney reveals he makes 16 times what he spends on suits each year.
- A few episodes later, Ted get’s a glimpse at Barney’s wardrobe which consists of two rooms, each with seven racks that hold 15 suits a piece. That translates to 210 suits in total.
- In the season 1 episode “Game Night” it’s established that Barney has been wearing suits for approximately the last 15 years, meaning that if he owns 210 suits, he buys roughly 14 suits each year.
- After Barney takes Marshall to his tailor in season one’s “Cupcake,” we learn that he paid $4,000 for the suit. Which would translate to $56,000 dollars spent on suits annually.
Not wanting to leave out any detail, Sir-Zyph also accounts for the donation of 60 suits, as well as the loss of a few pants and jackets thanks to tears, girls, and a wreck. There’s also the hilarious fact that Barney sleeps in “suitjamas” and has a few suits for special occasions.
So taking into consideration all of those meticulous details, how much is this well-suited man making each year?
Barney’s Yearly Income:
210 + 60 + 1 + 2 + 2= 275 Suits
275 / 15 = 18.333 Suits/year
$4000 * 18.333 = $73,332/year
$73,332 * 16 = $1,173,312
Barney makes $1,173,312 a year.
If you’re still skeptical about these calculations, don’t worry. Carter Bays, the show’s executive producer, took to Twitter to confirm the figure for fans who wanted an official ruling on Stinson’s salary.
Now that is a truly legen–wait for it–dary salary!
Greg Seals is a former social media producer and contributing writer for the Daily Dot. He specializes in creating and covering viral content on platforms that include Tumblr, Instagram, Snapchat, and Twitter.