- Twitch streamer’s mom, roommate get into brawl during live broadcast Thursday 8:41 PM
- Top NFL draft pick Nick Bosa scrubs racist, homophobic social media activity Thursday 8:18 PM
- Jared Kushner’s ‘comprehensive immigration plan’ is just 2 bullet points Thursday 8:16 PM
- ‘Lil Billie Xanish’ is the deepfake mashup of Billie Eilish and Lil Xan Thursday 5:10 PM
- Gossip account the Shade Room to launch 3 original series on Instagram Thursday 4:46 PM
- Biden says he asked Obama not to endorse him—but people aren’t buying it Thursday 3:17 PM
- Marvel makes more money than Harry Potter and Star Wars combined Thursday 3:13 PM
- ‘Avengers: Endgame’: Obituaries for the fallen heroes Thursday 2:51 PM
- T-Mobile, Verizon admit most Americans won’t see fast 5G Thursday 1:52 PM
- PlayStation Vue is offering a sweet streaming deal for a limited time Thursday 1:42 PM
- Twitter reportedly worried banning white nationalists would also flag some Republicans Thursday 1:31 PM
- Lawyer of cop in viral assault case calls the crime a ‘Facebook misdemeanor’ Thursday 12:33 PM
- Biden’s ‘all men’-focused announcement gets roasted Thursday 11:49 AM
- Skillshare is offering new users one month of premium for free Thursday 10:44 AM
- Report: Facebook is punishing Black people for talking about racism (updated) Thursday 10:15 AM
‘Hot Tub Time Machine 2’ may have unintentionally predicted the next ‘Daily Show’ host
Now this is a future we can get behind.
Jessica Williams, a fan-favorite Daily Show correspondent, quickly rose toward the top of everyone’s wishlists as soon as word of Stewart’s decision hit the Internet. Now, in addition to our support, Williams can also count on America’s habit of taking everything that Hollywood predicts about the future at face value.
Mike Ryan at Uproxx, who has seen Hot Tub Time Machine 2, was the first to tell the Internet about Williams’ role in the film—and how lucky the movie was with its characterization. In fact, the timing was so perfect that people weren’t so quick to believe him.
Just saw Hot Tub Time Machine 2 and they travel to 2025 and while there watch The Daily Show with Jessica Williams. It’s now predestined.
— Mike Ryan (@mikeryan) February 11, 2015
People think I’m kidding! There’s a “The Daily Show with Jessica Williams” joke in Hot Tub Time Machine 2, which should be our true future.
— Mike Ryan (@mikeryan) February 11, 2015
Soon enough, Ryan got his hands on the footage, which you can watch over at Uproxx. In the 48-second clip, we learn plenty about the year 2025, which is where Rob Corddry, Craig Robinson, and Clark Duke’s characters travel to in their hot tub time machine. They arrive on Mar. 26, 2025, if you want to be precise—so mark your calendars.
The Daily Show with Jessica Williams has a nice ring to it, for sure. She plays herself sitting behind Stewart’s desk. She’s cool, she’s collected, and she’s totally got this.
It’s a future where Neil Patrick Harris is president (something else we can get behind), Dame Jennifer Lawrence is playing Meryl Streep in a biopic, and there’s still racial tension in the country—though it’s not just a human issue anymore. Sure, Lawrence can’t actually become a Dame (only an honorary one), since she’s not a British citizen right now, but that’s only a minor detail in this far-off future we’re already picturing.
We don’t have any additional information about Williams’ cameo. At some point in the film, the characters end up on Choozy Doozy, a game show set in the future (and briefly seen advertised in the Daily Show clip), but we’re guessing that this might be Williams’ only appearance.
The cameo was filmed months—perhaps even more than a year—in advance, and Hot Tub Time Machine 2 producer Paramount Pictures likely had to get permission to use The Daily Show name and logo in the film. Even if Stewart knew he was leaving that far back, the scene’s timeliness today is likely just a huge coincidence.
In the event that Williams doesn’t get the job—perhaps being passed over for another white guy—fear not about this potential future going up in flames. There are more than 10 years until the date in Hot Tub Time Machine 2, and a lot can happen in a decade. The next host could leave by then, potentially allowing Williams a second chance at taking over the show.
Williams is only 25—the youngest correspondent in The Daily Show’s history—which her critics consider a strike against her. By Mar. 26, 2025, however, she’ll be 35—only two years younger than Stewart was when he took over The Daily Show. Williams will continue to shine no matter who gets the job, but we’re sure she’d succeed in the host’s chair whether in late 2015 now or 10 years from now.
H/T Uproxx | Screengrab via Hot Tub Time Machine 2
Michelle Jaworski is a staff writer and the resident Game of Thrones expert at the Daily Dot. She covers entertainment, geek culture, and pop culture and has brought her knowledge to conventions like Con of Thrones. She is based in New Jersey.