- Instagram revokes Venezuelan President Nicolás Maduro’s verified status Wednesday 5:23 PM
- Transgender people suffer when debates over their rights are framed as ‘distractions’ Wednesday 4:57 PM
- Hulu with Live TV just hiked its prices Wednesday 4:05 PM
- Hacker infiltrates Nest cameras to gain PewDiePie subscribers Wednesday 2:37 PM
- YouTube time traveler claims MLK’s granddaughter will be the last U.S. president Wednesday 2:30 PM
- Media coverage of Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez’s Twitch cameo erases Chelsea Manning Wednesday 1:39 PM
- New Alexa skill lets you sing with Queen’s Freddie Mercury Wednesday 1:13 PM
- Netflix is the first streaming platform to join MPAA Wednesday 12:59 PM
- Can you spot an email from a hacker? Wednesday 12:46 PM
- Gina Rodriguez cries over being called anti-Black, gets dragged for ‘fake tears’ Wednesday 12:21 PM
- Boots Riley explains why he got snubbed by the Oscars Wednesday 12:20 PM
- Review: ‘Buffy’ returns with a modern comic book reboot Wednesday 11:47 AM
- You’re about to see a lot more Netflix on your Instagram Wednesday 11:32 AM
- Covington students defend blackface video as ‘school spirit’ Wednesday 11:30 AM
- This YouTuber reportedly filmed himself abusing his cat—and his channel is still active Wednesday 11:18 AM
Hilary Duff calls out ‘a**hole’ neighbor on her Instagram Story
The 30-year-old actor and mom apparently lives next door to a guy who’s smellier, noisier, and messier than she can handle any longer, and she’s decided a good, old-fashioned public call-out is in order. In an 11-slide Instagram story Wednesday morning, the Younger star detailed her frustration at getting a bad night’s sleep because of this guy’s hijinks.
“Calling all New Yorkers with asshole neighbors,” Duff said in a video. “Really open to any advice you have. My neighbor smokes cigarettes and weed all night long. My apartment reeks. Seriously, what do I do?”
Duff lives in the unit with her 6-year-old son Luca and has apparently been dealing with smoke smells, garbage in the hallway, and loud noises for months. Duff then used Instagram’s text feature to write the neighbor’s name all over the screen
In a second clip, Duff continued: “We know your parents pay your rent, we know you’ve never worked a day in your life. Must be nice. Have some respect for your neighbors who work hard to live in that building. Don’t be a dick, dude. And put your trash down the chute.”
Dang, nepotism burn and messy communal hallway burn.
Next, Duff gave some background as to why this most recent incident was the proverbial straw that broke the camel’s back.
“Slept 0 minutes last night,” Duff wrote. “Worked 15 hours yesterday and back at work again at 5:30 am.”
She also appears to dox her neighbor, using his name in the Story. Then Duff decided to try and use what information she had about this guy to track him down on social media. His Instagram account is private.
“I know your [sic] still sleeping,” Duff wrote. “Or…actually, I really hope your hangover hurts.”
The plot thickens, though. Apparently on other occasions, Duff has heard the neighbor breaking furniture while yelling loudly at another person.
“It scares me and my kid,” she wrote. “Therapy is cheaper.”
Duff’s options are kind of limited. On the one hand, she could have reached out to the building’s management company and gotten Addison in trouble. Or written a passive-aggressive neighbor letter that he easily could have ignored. So instead she’s apparently taken a celebrity-exclusive, and arguably more humane route by giving him the opportunity to stay on good terms with their landlords for the very low price of some public shaming.
At the end of the day, Duff’s demands seem fairly straightforward: Get a vape, dude.
Christine Friar is a writer and editor in New York who focuses on streaming entertainment and internet culture. Her work has appeared in the Awl, the Fader, New York Magazine, Paper Magazine, Vogue, Elle, and more.