Predicting the end of the world can be a difficult thing to do, especially if you’re radio evangelist Harold Camping.
The 90-year-old broadcaster has been the laughing stock of Twitter after predicting that today would be the end of the world (not May 21st, as he originally said).
“On May 21, of 2011, mankind entered into the Day of Judgment,” Camping wrote on his website. “This ‘day’ will last for 5 months (153 days) until October 21, 2011. The Bible is teaching us that this period of time is Judgment Day!”
Camping and the hashtag #rapture have been top trending topics all morning. They have been mentioned more than 8,000 times combined, according to statistics from Topsy, a social media search engine.
And as can be expected, the masses treated the aging evangelist as a virtual punching bag and expressed mock disappointment over his failed prediction.
To mark the occasion, the Daily Dot decided to curate its own top 10 countdown to the apocalypse (or lack thereof).
10) “It’s okay, Harold. Biblical math isn’t your strong suit. Here’s a large print Readers Digest. Run along. That’s a good boy. #rapture” – @sonicdork
9) “All the Atheists should hide on #October21st just to prank #Christians #atheism #atheist #whoisin #rapture” – @godless_mind
8) “Dear Harold Camping, Worst. Apocalypse. Ever. Regards, Everyone. #Rapture” – @deathstarpr
7) “I will not divulge when the end of the world cometh, but I can tell thee this: It will be far, far after the end of Harold Camping,” – @TheTweetofGod
6) “Well I must say this #rapture is proving even more relaxing than the last one. Same time in five months everybody?” – @mitchbenn
5) “That awkward moment when the #rapture doesn’t happen again and everyone asks Harold Camping for a new date to look forward to.” – @soveryawkward
4) “Harold Camping has successfully predicted 11 of the last 0 apocalypses” – @bschorr
3) “Harold Camping predicted the rapture would come today. I bet people are amazed to find out heaven looks just like their living room.” – @darksideintern
2) “Wait today is the rescheduled #rapture? So does that mean I don’t have to shave my legs?” – @petalandpink
1) “Fool me once, Harold Camping, shame on you. Fool me twice, what am I supposed to do with 10,000 cans of beans in my Rapture Bunker?” – @wadetoblack
Photo by Analogick