- Conservatives feel vindicated by new developments in Jussie Smollett case 6 Years Ago
- Don Cheadle made important fashion choices on ‘SNL’ Today 9:47 AM
- Why the Twitter left loves to dunk on Max Boot Today 6:30 AM
- How to watch ‘Last Week Tonight with John Oliver’ online for free Today 6:30 AM
- How to stream Francis Ngannou vs. Cain Velasquez for free Today 6:00 AM
- How to stream the 2019 Daytona 500 for free Today 5:50 AM
- 7-year-old YouTuber to get his own show on Nickelodeon Saturday 5:30 PM
- ‘Hipster’ jobs are trending, and Indeed says the market is booming Saturday 3:33 PM
- Trump meme removed after copyright complaint Saturday 2:15 PM
- Facebook pushes back against moderators complaining about ‘Big Brother’ environment Saturday 12:46 PM
- Twitter hid post from an account linked to Iran’s Supreme Leader Saturday 10:17 AM
- How to stream Leo Santa Cruz vs. Rafael Rivera for free Saturday 8:00 AM
- ‘Larry Charles’ Dangerous World of Comedy’ finds the balance between tragedy and comedy Saturday 7:30 AM
- How to stream Michael ‘Venom’ Page vs. Paul Daley for free Saturday 7:00 AM
- How to watch the NBA Dunk Contest 2019 online for free Saturday 6:50 AM
3 reasons Eminem’s rep is lying about Hailie’s Taylor Swift beef
Did Hailie Scott Mathers actually start a rumble with Taylor Swift on Twitter earlier this week, or was it a fake account?
Did Hailie Scott Mathers actually start a rumble with Taylor Swift on Twitter earlier this week?
A rep for Eminem told E! News that claim is so false: @hailiejade_x is an impostor and has no connection with Hailie.
On late Monday, tweets from the account in question told Swift to back off from swapping spit with One Direction singer Harry Styles. She also told the singing Cracker Barrel breakfast platter to stop “whoring around” with guys.
Mathers, 16—or whoever is behind @hailiejade_x—shuttered the account Wednesday after a barrage of media attention and a tidal wave of incendiary tweets from Swifties and One Directioners.
The E! News’ report might have shaken an already fragile nation’s trust, but the Daily Dot investigative unit doubts Eminem’s rep’s claim. On multiple occasions, @hailiejade_x has posted convincing claims that the account is indeed Hailie’s official Twitter:
1) When it was active, the Twitter was linked to an Instagram account with plenty of photographic evidence documenting Hailie’s life.
2) Also, she has tweeted that her 60,000-fans-strong Facebook account is her only presence on the social networking site (except for an unsearchable private account.)
3) Hailie’s “best friend,” who goes by “T” on Twitter, privately confirmed via direct message to the Daily Dot that the Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram accounts were real, and really Hailie’s. But could the best friend be fake too? The mystery deepens.
We’re going to go read a book or something.
CORRECTION: Based on evidence received after the publication of this article, the Daily Dot has determined that, despite the elaborate social media presence around the @hailiejade_x account, it was most likely a hoax, and did not belong to Hailie Mathers. Previous stories about the account have been updated to reflect this new information.
Photo via Hailie_Mathers/Instagram
A former editorial operations specialist and staff writer for the Daily Dot, Jordan Valinsky is a tech reporter and web culture commentator. His work has been published by the Week, Digiday, CNNMoney, Popular Mechanics, Vice, Mic, and Betabeat.