- Animator for Netflix’s ‘Carmen Sandiego’ says he was fired after asking for fair pay Today 3:17 PM
- YouTube reverses decision to remove creators’ badges Today 1:47 PM
- How video game developer Valve got served secret subpoena as part of FBI’s counterterrorism fight Today 12:31 PM
- Aron Eisenberg, ‘Star Trek: Deep Space Nine’ actor, dead at 50 Today 11:35 AM
- Who needs glass slippers? This Cinderella cosplayer upgraded with a stunning glass arm Today 10:19 AM
- How to check if Yahoo owes you $358 Today 9:25 AM
- How to stream Bears vs. Redskins on Monday Night Football Today 7:00 AM
- What are the best alternatives to the electoral college? Today 6:30 AM
- The best PS4 games you can’t play anywhere else Today 6:00 AM
- How to watch the 2019 Emmy Awards Today 5:00 AM
- How to stream ‘Power’ season 6, episode 5 Today 4:00 AM
- Former developer at software company deletes his code to protest its ties to ICE Saturday 4:21 PM
- A mysterious website is doxing Hong Kong protesters and journalists Saturday 1:44 PM
- The best ‘Skyrim’ followers and how to get them Saturday 1:26 PM
- Why Joel Osteen gets cyberbullied every time Houston floods Saturday 12:40 PM
3 reasons Eminem’s rep is lying about Hailie’s Taylor Swift beef
Did Hailie Scott Mathers actually start a rumble with Taylor Swift on Twitter earlier this week, or was it a fake account?
Did Hailie Scott Mathers actually start a rumble with Taylor Swift on Twitter earlier this week?
A rep for Eminem told E! News that claim is so false: @hailiejade_x is an impostor and has no connection with Hailie.
On late Monday, tweets from the account in question told Swift to back off from swapping spit with One Direction singer Harry Styles. She also told the singing Cracker Barrel breakfast platter to stop “whoring around” with guys.
Mathers, 16—or whoever is behind @hailiejade_x—shuttered the account Wednesday after a barrage of media attention and a tidal wave of incendiary tweets from Swifties and One Directioners.
The E! News’ report might have shaken an already fragile nation’s trust, but the Daily Dot investigative unit doubts Eminem’s rep’s claim. On multiple occasions, @hailiejade_x has posted convincing claims that the account is indeed Hailie’s official Twitter:
1) When it was active, the Twitter was linked to an Instagram account with plenty of photographic evidence documenting Hailie’s life.
2) Also, she has tweeted that her 60,000-fans-strong Facebook account is her only presence on the social networking site (except for an unsearchable private account.)
3) Hailie’s “best friend,” who goes by “T” on Twitter, privately confirmed via direct message to the Daily Dot that the Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram accounts were real, and really Hailie’s. But could the best friend be fake too? The mystery deepens.
We’re going to go read a book or something.
CORRECTION: Based on evidence received after the publication of this article, the Daily Dot has determined that, despite the elaborate social media presence around the @hailiejade_x account, it was most likely a hoax, and did not belong to Hailie Mathers. Previous stories about the account have been updated to reflect this new information.
Photo via Hailie_Mathers/Instagram
A former editorial operations specialist and staff writer for the Daily Dot, Jordan Valinsky is a tech reporter and web culture commentator. His work has been published by the Week, Digiday, CNNMoney, Popular Mechanics, Vice, Mic, and Betabeat.