- R. Kelly charged in Chicago with multiple counts of sex abuse Friday 7:51 PM
- Elon Musk finally hosts PewDiePie’s meme review Friday 6:27 PM
- Netflix throws ‘Umbrella Academy’-themed wedding for fans Friday 4:54 PM
- Report: Facebook collects app data on users’ body weight, menstrual cycles Friday 3:38 PM
- Amy Klobuchar reportedly ate salad with a comb, and Twitter’s got questions Friday 2:47 PM
- Nobody likes Spotify’s new update Friday 2:34 PM
- Student assaulted on campus while tabling for right-wing group Friday 1:56 PM
- Kim Kardashian West sues fashion company for using her likeness to sell clothes Friday 1:12 PM
- The Oscar-nominated movies you’ll actually want to watch again Friday 12:56 PM
- Viral graphic shows the moment Apple became the top brand Friday 12:27 PM
- Jake Paul calls out KSI for a YouTube boxing match Friday 11:31 AM
- This elementary school made students play ‘runaway slave’ Friday 11:20 AM
- ‘Captain Marvel’ is already a box office hit Friday 11:06 AM
- This ‘buff bunny vs. small bunny’ meme is here for when you’re feeling inferior Friday 10:53 AM
- Ocasio-Cortez slams trolls who come at her with ‘weak’ memes Friday 10:52 AM
Will the women of ‘Girls’ finally figure it out in its final season?
Hannah and company have one last chance to get things right.
Going into its sixth and final season, Girls has had lost much of the buzz that built up early in its run, but creatively the show is as strong as ever. Hannah (creator, star, and lightning rod Lena Dunham) and company remain blissfully unaware of their narcissism, and yet, the show continues to find new emotional depths to plumb. Hannah is no closer to being the voice of a generation she proclaimed in the pilot episode, but she (and the show) still has a lot to say.
Screengrab via Television Promos/YouTube
Girls season 6 cast
All of the main players are back to send the show off properly, as well as guest stars Chelsea Peretti, 2016 breakout star Riz Ahmed, The Americans’ Matthew Rhys, and old stalwarts Jon Glaser and Colin Quinn.
Girls season 6 plot
Last season ended with Hannah returning to writing and (at least temporarily) coming to peace with Jessa (Jemima Kirke) and Adam’s (Adam Driver) relationship. Marnie (Allison Williams) and mercurial Ray (Alex Karpovsky) are starting up their own thing, but Marnie’s ex-husband Desi (Ebon Moss-Bachrach) is still looking. And after a year adrift, Shoshonna (Zosia Mamet) found some direction.
But of course, any happiness or peace on Girls is sure to be short-lived. The characters will almost certainly find new ways to sabotage themselves. Or will they? Despite what the endless stream of thinkpieces will tell you, the characters have evolved from where they were when we met them. The changes have been incremental, but the gains have been hard-fought. So there is a decent chance they find some level of contentment to go out on, but there will be plenty of intensely awkward, hilarious, and sincere moments along the way.
Girls season 6 trailer
Girls has released two trailers to date.
The second trailer, released in January, raises the emotional stakes:
Girls season 6 premiere date
The final season of Girls premieres on HBO on Sunday, Feb. 12.
Eddie Strait is a member of the Austin Film Critic Association. His reviews focus primarily on streaming entertainment, with an emphasis on Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, and other on-demand services.