- Is Trump defiling the U.S. flag in this MAGA dude’s artwork? Sunday 4:41 PM
- White woman claims she invented sleep bonnets, selling them for $100 Sunday 4:03 PM
- Even real cats are transfixed by the enigma that is the ‘Cats’ trailer Sunday 3:04 PM
- Wait, how tall is Peppa Pig? Sunday 1:55 PM
- Twitter suspends Iranian state media outlets for harassing members of a religious minority Sunday 1:06 PM
- Pro-MAGA pageant queen stripped of title over ‘offensive’ tweets Sunday 11:52 AM
- Marvel unveiled its Phase 4 plans at San Diego Comic-Con Sunday 9:16 AM
- How a queer Instagram is helping fight the opioid epidemic in Appalachia Sunday 6:30 AM
- Philadelphia to fire 13 officers for racist, violent Facebook posts Saturday 6:12 PM
- Nick Offerman is so down to play every single role in ‘Cats’ Saturday 4:27 PM
- Woman documents how airport staff broke her wheelchair Saturday 3:04 PM
- Funeral home allegedly posted photos of woman’s dead body on social media Saturday 1:56 PM
- Alinity Divine is being investigated after throwing her cat during stream (updated) Saturday 12:04 PM
- ‘Comedians In Cars Getting Coffee’ returns with Seinfeld making a racist joke about China Saturday 10:26 AM
- YouTubers Eugenia Cooney and Shane Dawson make a joint comeback Saturday 9:06 AM
Will the women of ‘Girls’ finally figure it out in its final season?
Hannah and company have one last chance to get things right.
Going into its sixth and final season, Girls has had lost much of the buzz that built up early in its run, but creatively the show is as strong as ever. Hannah (creator, star, and lightning rod Lena Dunham) and company remain blissfully unaware of their narcissism, and yet, the show continues to find new emotional depths to plumb. Hannah is no closer to being the voice of a generation she proclaimed in the pilot episode, but she (and the show) still has a lot to say.
Screengrab via Television Promos/YouTube
Girls season 6 cast
All of the main players are back to send the show off properly, as well as guest stars Chelsea Peretti, 2016 breakout star Riz Ahmed, The Americans’ Matthew Rhys, and old stalwarts Jon Glaser and Colin Quinn.
Girls season 6 plot
Last season ended with Hannah returning to writing and (at least temporarily) coming to peace with Jessa (Jemima Kirke) and Adam’s (Adam Driver) relationship. Marnie (Allison Williams) and mercurial Ray (Alex Karpovsky) are starting up their own thing, but Marnie’s ex-husband Desi (Ebon Moss-Bachrach) is still looking. And after a year adrift, Shoshonna (Zosia Mamet) found some direction.
But of course, any happiness or peace on Girls is sure to be short-lived. The characters will almost certainly find new ways to sabotage themselves. Or will they? Despite what the endless stream of thinkpieces will tell you, the characters have evolved from where they were when we met them. The changes have been incremental, but the gains have been hard-fought. So there is a decent chance they find some level of contentment to go out on, but there will be plenty of intensely awkward, hilarious, and sincere moments along the way.
Girls season 6 trailer
Girls has released two trailers to date.
The second trailer, released in January, raises the emotional stakes:
Girls season 6 premiere date
The final season of Girls premieres on HBO on Sunday, Feb. 12.
Eddie Strait is a member of the Austin Film Critic Association. His reviews focus primarily on streaming entertainment, with an emphasis on Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, and other on-demand services.