- Russian bots targeting Joe Biden on Instagram Monday 10:04 PM
- TikTok takes down 2 dozen ISIS accounts being used for recruitment Monday 9:38 PM
- British judge refuses to delay WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange’s extradition hearing Monday 8:01 PM
- Indicted Giuliani associate Lev Parnas’ private Instagram filled with Trump connections Monday 7:22 PM
- ‘Bomboclaat’ is the new ‘sco pa tu manaa’ Monday 7:00 PM
- Lori Harvey reportedly trying to walk away from car crash spawns memes Monday 6:00 PM
- In Netflix’s ‘Upstarts,’ Silicon Valley CEOs are the good guys Monday 4:35 PM
- This video of a tree struck by lightning is… relatable? Monday 4:13 PM
- How to watch ‘Keeping Faith’ Monday 3:37 PM
- ‘South Park’ at the center of $500 million streaming war Monday 3:16 PM
- Pizza Hut and Papa John’s employees pranked into talking to each other on the phone Monday 2:34 PM
- Twitter bullies brought Jordan Peterson to tears Monday 2:24 PM
- 25 last-minute Halloween costumes for those with no time to shop Monday 1:30 PM
- Krassensteins return to Twitter and are immediately suspended Monday 1:01 PM
- Tom Brady insists he didn’t parody Robert Kraft in ‘Living with Yourself’ cameo Monday 12:52 PM
‘Girl Meets World’ gets a premiere date, and the Internet explodes
Nineties kids, unite.
The Boy Meets World fandom is a curious thing. The show, which aired Friday nights on ABC from 1993 to 2000, followed the life trajectory of Cory Matthews, his bestie Shawn, and his girlfriend Topanga. Perhaps it existed in that perfect overlap of Gen Y and millennial viewing, because people on the Internet really love Boy Meets World.
And the Internet exploded with squee this morning, when it was announced that Girl Meets World, the follow-up to the show, would finally debut June 27 on the Disney Channel. Girl Meets World finds Cory and Topanga married with children, and the show focuses on their middle school-aged daughter Riley’s adventures with her best friend, just like Boy Meets World did! The voice-over guy in the latest promo assures us there will be hijinks.
Twitter was all over it.
There’s a new MJ/JT song out, and Boy Meets World is coming back in June. So pretty much I’m nine again and it rocks.
— Chuck Daly (@ChuckDaly) May 2, 2014
girl meets world premieres on the same night as the fall out boy concert and now i have to choose between the two greatest loves of my life.
— Mary (@maroldrush) May 2, 2014
Only just heard about girl meets world!#boymeetsworld was my life!Had to watch it at my grandparents they were the only ones who had Disney
— Danielle (@DanielleMac91) May 2, 2014
Fans have been anxiously awaiting the premiere for nearly a year; Disney ordered the series in June 2013. In the interim, pop culture kept the fandom alive. Remember Samuel L. Jackson’s dramatic reading of a poem about Boy Meets World?
Remember when this woman got so excited about the existence of this show?
Screengrab via disneychannel/YouTube
Audra Schroeder is the Daily Dot’s senior entertainment writer, and she focuses on streaming, comedy, and music. Her work has previously appeared in the Austin Chronicle, the Dallas Observer, NPR, ESPN, Bitch, and the Village Voice. She is based in Austin, Texas.