- Bob Iger steps down as Disney CEO, prompting conspiracy theories 6 Years Ago
- Bhad Bhabie threatens to kill Skai Jackson amid feud involving their moms Today 4:51 PM
- Body camera shows officer boasting about arresting a 6-year-old Today 3:58 PM
- Singer Duffy opens up about the rape, captivity that led her to stop singing Today 3:51 PM
- Cynthia Nixon embodies feminist rage in viral video Today 3:30 PM
- Samsung factory shuts down amid confirmed coronavirus case Today 3:08 PM
- Bebe Rexha says she won’t be ‘imprisoned’ by bipolar disorder Today 2:33 PM
- The ‘your music saved me’ meme celebrates the wackiest influences of our time Today 2:20 PM
- This guy slapped his mom’s boobs for a TikTok and, honestly, it’s exhausting (updated) Today 12:37 PM
- Jif peanut butter and Giphy have joined forces on how to pronounce ‘GIF’ Today 12:19 PM
- This dad threw a 1-year HRT party for his trans son and the internet can’t get enough of it Today 11:44 AM
- This petition wants Pornhub to be shut down for good Today 11:03 AM
- Pete Buttigieg’s speech voice is suspiciously like Obama’s Today 10:56 AM
- Exposé about Bernie staffer’s Twitter leads to his firing—and an online class war Today 10:40 AM
- Netflix adds Top 10 feature to showcase what’s popular Today 10:24 AM
‘Girl Meets World’ gets a premiere date, and the Internet explodes
Nineties kids, unite.
The Boy Meets World fandom is a curious thing. The show, which aired Friday nights on ABC from 1993 to 2000, followed the life trajectory of Cory Matthews, his bestie Shawn, and his girlfriend Topanga. Perhaps it existed in that perfect overlap of Gen Y and millennial viewing, because people on the Internet really love Boy Meets World.
And the Internet exploded with squee this morning, when it was announced that Girl Meets World, the follow-up to the show, would finally debut June 27 on the Disney Channel. Girl Meets World finds Cory and Topanga married with children, and the show focuses on their middle school-aged daughter Riley’s adventures with her best friend, just like Boy Meets World did! The voice-over guy in the latest promo assures us there will be hijinks.
Twitter was all over it.
There’s a new MJ/JT song out, and Boy Meets World is coming back in June. So pretty much I’m nine again and it rocks.
— Chuck Daly (@ChuckDaly) May 2, 2014
girl meets world premieres on the same night as the fall out boy concert and now i have to choose between the two greatest loves of my life.
— Mary (@maroldrush) May 2, 2014
Only just heard about girl meets world!#boymeetsworld was my life!Had to watch it at my grandparents they were the only ones who had Disney
— Danielle (@DanielleMac91) May 2, 2014
Fans have been anxiously awaiting the premiere for nearly a year; Disney ordered the series in June 2013. In the interim, pop culture kept the fandom alive. Remember Samuel L. Jackson’s dramatic reading of a poem about Boy Meets World?
Remember when this woman got so excited about the existence of this show?
Screengrab via disneychannel/YouTube
Audra Schroeder is the Daily Dot’s senior entertainment writer, and she focuses on streaming, comedy, and music. Her work has previously appeared in the Austin Chronicle, the Dallas Observer, NPR, ESPN, Bitch, and the Village Voice. She is based in Austin, Texas.