- 2020 Democrats refuse to answer our questions about ‘Cats’ Friday 4:14 PM
- Belle Delphine’s Instagram account removed after mass reporting campaign Friday 4:08 PM
- Mariah Carey refuses old-age FaceApp challenge Friday 3:19 PM
- Journalists horrified by consolidation of Gatehouse, Gannett Friday 3:12 PM
- Facebook and Google could be tracking you on porn sites Friday 1:42 PM
- 7 best sites for psychic love readings Friday 1:20 PM
- Driver demonstrates why you always need to read road signs Friday 12:58 PM
- Area 51 remix video proves it’s the summer of Lil Nas X Friday 12:26 PM
- ‘ICE will come’: Convenience store clerk threatens customers speaking Spanish Friday 12:11 PM
- Rand Paul dodges questions about 9/11 Victims Fund, says ‘watch Fox News’ Friday 11:51 AM
- Report: ‘Stranger Things’ season 4 to begin shooting in October Friday 11:03 AM
- AT&T paid Michael Cohen to consult on net neutrality, FBI documents show Friday 9:10 AM
- Mysterio’s ruse changes on a second viewing of ‘Far From Home’ Friday 9:06 AM
- Twitter overturns Barrett Brown’s third permanent suspension Friday 8:49 AM
- How to live stream Liga MX Friday 7:56 AM
‘The Larry Sanders Show’ is returning to HBO after Garry Shandling’s death
You can’t stream it right now, but you will be able to on HBO soon.
Many comedy fans flocked online to try and rewatch The Larry Sanders Show in honor Shandling’s memory, but they soon found that the show wasn’t streaming online, and a $20 DVD set on Amazon quickly went out of stock. The late-night TV parody aired on HBO from 1992 to 1998, but it wasn’t available on HBO’s streaming platform either—and there’s a reason for that. HBO didn’t own some of its earliest TV shows.
Sony Pictures Television owns the rights for The Larry Sanders Show, and it streamed exclusively on Crackle, Sony’s streaming platform that also airs Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee, until the rights returned to Sony about two months ago. Sony Pictures Television chairman Steve Mosko confirmed that Shandling negotiated a deal to return The Larry Sanders Show to HBO.
“I loved Garry,” he told The Wrap. “We were fulfilling his wishes to see the show move to HBO.”
The Larry Sanders Show is not yet available on HBO’s streaming services.
“Garry ushered in the modern period of original programming at HBO with his brilliant masterpiece, The Larry Sanders Show,” an HBO statement read. “All of us at HBO have a special place in our hearts for him not only for his enormous talent but for his kindness and decency. We will miss him terribly.”
Shandling and The Larry Sanders Show, which was a satire of late-night TV and Hollywood, had a profound effect on the people who work in late-night today. Both Conan O’Brien and Seth Meyers took time to honor Shandling, his legacy, and his influence on them.
O’Brien had Shandling on his show over the years, so he also took the time to look back on those moments.
Michelle Jaworski is a staff writer and the resident Game of Thrones expert at the Daily Dot. She covers entertainment, geek culture, and pop culture and has brought her knowledge to conventions like Con of Thrones. She is based in New Jersey.