- Twitter thread roasts bathtub tray ads for women Monday 7:21 PM
- Nintendo set to release two new models of the Switch—possibly in 2019 Monday 6:45 PM
- Viral cat video ‘Dear Kitten’ finds new life in TikTok challenge Monday 5:30 PM
- Here’s every show that was announced at the Apple TV+ kickoff Monday 3:53 PM
- ‘Shazam!’ embraces the spectacle and heart of the superhero genre Monday 3:45 PM
- How to mute Twitter’s suggested tweets on your timeline Monday 3:02 PM
- What you need to know about Apple’s new streaming service Monday 2:32 PM
- Text-message fanfiction is taking over Instagram Monday 1:54 PM
- Your Asus computer might have a secret backdoor Monday 1:06 PM
- Trump is already fundraising off the Mueller report—even though no one’s seen it Monday 1:01 PM
- Michael Avenatti charged with trying to extort $20 million from Nike Monday 12:51 PM
- Logan Paul says being a YouTuber is ‘wack’ Monday 12:14 PM
- James Comey posts from a forest in wake of Mueller report Monday 10:35 AM
- These are the only online dating sites worth your time Monday 10:29 AM
- Jameela Jamil sparks conversation about women having to make the ‘boyfriend excuse’ Monday 10:23 AM
It’s Guiness official: The South Korean pop star’s music video is the most-liked in YouTube history.
PSY and his dynamic “Gangnam Style” music video are officially doing that unstoppable horsey dance into the record books.
The Guinness World Records announced Friday morning that the video, a 4:13 whirlwind of South Korean glamour and glitz, has broken the record for “Most Likes on YouTube” with 2,141,758, breaking the previous record of 1,574,963 held by LMFAO’s outrageous “Party Rock Anthem.”
“Gangnam Style”‘s ascent ranks has been rapid and rampant since first hitting YouTube July 15, and it’s no secret why. The Daily Dot detailed the video’s full-blown theatrics when it crossed over the virtual Pacific and touched down on American computer screens in late July. Since, its view count has risen to 225 million while showing no signs of slowing down. Just last week, DD Hater Jordan Valinsky declared “Gangnam Style” the IN parody clip of the fall.
In a statement released Friday by Guinness World Records, community manager Dan Barrett said that it’s “great to be able to award a record for this tremendously popular video.
“In years past it was unthinkable that something would be viewed a hundred million times, and now ‘Gangnam Style’ has achieved more than twice this figure in just three months. PSY—your certificate is waiting here at our offense, come pick it up any time!”
Okay, Guinness! I’d imagine he’ll mosey on over any minute.
Photo via YouTube
Chase Hoffberger reported on YouTube, web culture, and crime for the Daily Dot until 2013, when he joined the Austin Chronicle. Until late 2018, he served as that paper’s news editor and reported on criminal justice and politics.