- James Charles receives backlash over ‘racist’ imitation of Latinx TikTok character, Rosa Tuesday 7:06 PM
- Video shows people harassing elderly Asian man while he collects cans Tuesday 6:23 PM
- Bob Iger steps down as Disney CEO, prompting conspiracy theories Tuesday 5:53 PM
- Bhad Bhabie threatens to kill Skai Jackson amid feud involving their moms Tuesday 4:51 PM
- Body camera shows officer boasting about arresting a 6-year-old Tuesday 3:58 PM
- Singer Duffy opens up about the rape, captivity that led her to stop singing Tuesday 3:51 PM
- Cynthia Nixon embodies feminist rage in viral video Tuesday 3:30 PM
- Samsung factory shuts down amid confirmed coronavirus case Tuesday 3:08 PM
- Bebe Rexha says she won’t be ‘imprisoned’ by bipolar disorder Tuesday 2:33 PM
- The ‘your music saved me’ meme celebrates the wackiest influences of our time Tuesday 2:20 PM
- This guy slapped his mom’s boobs for a TikTok and, honestly, it’s exhausting (updated) Tuesday 12:37 PM
- Jif peanut butter and Giphy have joined forces on how to pronounce ‘GIF’ Tuesday 12:19 PM
- This dad threw a 1-year HRT party for his trans son and the internet can’t get enough of it Tuesday 11:44 AM
- This petition wants Pornhub to be shut down for good Tuesday 11:03 AM
- Pete Buttigieg’s speech voice is suspiciously like Obama’s Tuesday 10:56 AM
“Gangnam Style” breaks Guinness World Record
It’s Guiness official: The South Korean pop star’s music video is the most-liked in YouTube history.
PSY and his dynamic “Gangnam Style” music video are officially doing that unstoppable horsey dance into the record books.
The Guinness World Records announced Friday morning that the video, a 4:13 whirlwind of South Korean glamour and glitz, has broken the record for “Most Likes on YouTube” with 2,141,758, breaking the previous record of 1,574,963 held by LMFAO’s outrageous “Party Rock Anthem.”
“Gangnam Style”‘s ascent ranks has been rapid and rampant since first hitting YouTube July 15, and it’s no secret why. The Daily Dot detailed the video’s full-blown theatrics when it crossed over the virtual Pacific and touched down on American computer screens in late July. Since, its view count has risen to 225 million while showing no signs of slowing down. Just last week, DD Hater Jordan Valinsky declared “Gangnam Style” the IN parody clip of the fall.
In a statement released Friday by Guinness World Records, community manager Dan Barrett said that it’s “great to be able to award a record for this tremendously popular video.
“In years past it was unthinkable that something would be viewed a hundred million times, and now ‘Gangnam Style’ has achieved more than twice this figure in just three months. PSY—your certificate is waiting here at our offense, come pick it up any time!”
Okay, Guinness! I’d imagine he’ll mosey on over any minute.
Photo via YouTube
Chase Hoffberger reported on YouTube, web culture, and crime for the Daily Dot until 2013, when he joined the Austin Chronicle. Until late 2018, he served as that paper’s news editor and reported on criminal justice and politics.