- Walmart is suing Tesla over fires at stores with solar panels 7 Years Ago
- Jeremy Renner asks nicely for Sony to let Spider-Man back in the MCU Today 2:51 PM
- The best and safest torrenting sites you should be using in 2019 Today 2:47 PM
- ‘Beyoncé’s Assistant for a Day’ creator is releasing more games on storytelling app Yarn Today 1:54 PM
- Why does everyone keep falling for that Instagram and Facebook hoax? Today 1:46 PM
- A bunch of celebrities fell for that viral Instagram hoax Today 1:17 PM
- Former Die Antwoord crew member says video shows ‘homophobic attack’ Today 1:13 PM
- How to stream all the MLS Rivalry Week matches Today 1:13 PM
- Nevada officials issue warnings for people prepping to ‘Storm Area 51’ Today 12:55 PM
- These are the 8 best fighting games available today Today 12:43 PM
- Pluto TV and the NFL launch the NFL Channel Today 12:40 PM
- Trump: ‘I am the chosen one’ Today 12:33 PM
- Video shows arrest of 15-year-old who threatened school shooting online Today 12:11 PM
- Woman finds massive diamond after watching YouTube video on how to find diamonds Today 11:30 AM
- Up to 20 states are banding together to probe Facebook, Google Today 11:08 AM
“Gangnam Style” breaks Guinness World Record
It’s Guiness official: The South Korean pop star’s music video is the most-liked in YouTube history.
PSY and his dynamic “Gangnam Style” music video are officially doing that unstoppable horsey dance into the record books.
The Guinness World Records announced Friday morning that the video, a 4:13 whirlwind of South Korean glamour and glitz, has broken the record for “Most Likes on YouTube” with 2,141,758, breaking the previous record of 1,574,963 held by LMFAO’s outrageous “Party Rock Anthem.”
“Gangnam Style”‘s ascent ranks has been rapid and rampant since first hitting YouTube July 15, and it’s no secret why. The Daily Dot detailed the video’s full-blown theatrics when it crossed over the virtual Pacific and touched down on American computer screens in late July. Since, its view count has risen to 225 million while showing no signs of slowing down. Just last week, DD Hater Jordan Valinsky declared “Gangnam Style” the IN parody clip of the fall.
In a statement released Friday by Guinness World Records, community manager Dan Barrett said that it’s “great to be able to award a record for this tremendously popular video.
“In years past it was unthinkable that something would be viewed a hundred million times, and now ‘Gangnam Style’ has achieved more than twice this figure in just three months. PSY—your certificate is waiting here at our offense, come pick it up any time!”
Okay, Guinness! I’d imagine he’ll mosey on over any minute.
Photo via YouTube
Chase Hoffberger reported on YouTube, web culture, and crime for the Daily Dot until 2013, when he joined the Austin Chronicle. Until late 2018, he served as that paper’s news editor and reported on criminal justice and politics.