- Trump accuses Jewish Democrats of having ‘great disloyalty’ or a ‘lack of knowledge’ Tuesday 8:02 PM
- 1 million ‘anonymous’ users of popular porn site exposed in breach Tuesday 6:56 PM
- Khloé Kardashian angers followers with a calorie-counting joke about True Tuesday 6:14 PM
- Spider-Man may no longer be part of the Marvel Cinematic Universe Tuesday 5:28 PM
- Robert De Niro’s company is suing ex-employee for binge-watching Netflix at work Tuesday 4:41 PM
- Intentionally misgendering a character could get you banned from Borderlands 3 Tuesday 4:06 PM
- Facebook pulls Trump re-election ad for targeting ‘strong women’ Tuesday 4:03 PM
- Kamala Harris says she will restore net neutrality if elected Tuesday 3:16 PM
- All 8 of the ‘Rocky’ movies, ranked Tuesday 2:50 PM
- Everything you need to know about the Facebook conservative bias report Tuesday 2:35 PM
- Study links emoji use to more sex Tuesday 2:10 PM
- The chicken sandwich war is in full throttle on Twitter Tuesday 1:47 PM
- Netflix’s ‘Sextuplets’ proves Marlon Wayans is no Eddie Murphy—or even Mike Myers Tuesday 1:31 PM
- Facebook is finally rolling out its clear history tool Tuesday 1:13 PM
- ‘Theater etiquette’ tweets surge after YouTuber cast in ‘Waitress’ Tuesday 12:55 PM
El-P attempts to audition cats for upcoming remix album
This is furreal.
Rappers El-P and Killer Mike have combined forces to form duo Run the Jewels, and they’ve been touring ahead of the release of their upcoming album, Run the Jewels 2, out Oct. 28. However, since the Internet can sometimes be a magical place, they’ve also recently crowdfunded a remix of the album, featuring only cat sounds.
Yes, Meow the Jewels has been successfully crowdfunded, a week ahead of its end date, and fans of Run the Jewels and feline rap have blown through the $40,000 goal. Big-name producers like Dan the Automator, Prince Paul, and Geoff Barrow of Portishead are also on board. So very soon, this track will be remixed with meows and purrs and hisses, because this is what the Internet wants. I mean, look at this promo video.
El-P recently visited an animal shelter for Mass Appeal, to audition cats for the album. And because cats are cats, he didn’t get the best results.
“This is gonna be tough,” El-P laments as sad piano music plays in the background. “They keep showing me their assholes.”
El-P’s forgetting the golden rule of getting cats to meow for your remix album: Pretend you don’t care and they’ll be all over it.
H/T Pitchfork | Screengrab via massappeal/YouTube
Audra Schroeder is the Daily Dot’s senior entertainment writer, and she focuses on streaming, comedy, and music. Her work has previously appeared in the Austin Chronicle, the Dallas Observer, NPR, ESPN, Bitch, and the Village Voice. She is based in Austin, Texas.