- ‘Penis fish’ memes erupt after worms wash up on California coast Friday 5:58 PM
- Why Britons are tweeting ‘Little England’ in wake of the U.K. election Friday 3:22 PM
- Net neutrality advocates ask for rehearing on federal court decision Friday 2:29 PM
- Americans are sharing their #PrivateHealthLIFEhacks to help Brits Friday 2:28 PM
- Warren, Sanders, Yang pledge to skip next week’s debate over union dispute Friday 2:12 PM
- How to watch tonight’s Nets vs. Raptors matchup on NBA TV Friday 2:00 PM
- Alt-right comedian Owen Benjamin banned from Instagram over anti-Semitic memes Friday 1:55 PM
- TikTok teens are procrastinating with #FinalsWeek Friday 1:46 PM
- ‘The Mandalorian’ takes on a prison break in episode 6 Friday 1:30 PM
- Nick Cannon vs. Eminem battle expected to escalate after ‘off-limits’ daughter diss Friday 12:50 PM
- Laura Loomer vehemently denies being author of new Laura Loomer-themed action novel Friday 12:30 PM
- PewDiePie’s poop-inspired game gets banned by Apple Friday 11:29 AM
- ‘Game of Thrones’ showrunners to adapt ‘Lovecraft’ graphic novel to screen Friday 11:00 AM
- The 50 memes that defined the decade Friday 10:45 AM
- Venmo users are getting harassed with fraudulent payment requests Friday 10:38 AM
El-P attempts to audition cats for upcoming remix album
This is furreal.
Rappers El-P and Killer Mike have combined forces to form duo Run the Jewels, and they’ve been touring ahead of the release of their upcoming album, Run the Jewels 2, out Oct. 28. However, since the Internet can sometimes be a magical place, they’ve also recently crowdfunded a remix of the album, featuring only cat sounds.
Yes, Meow the Jewels has been successfully crowdfunded, a week ahead of its end date, and fans of Run the Jewels and feline rap have blown through the $40,000 goal. Big-name producers like Dan the Automator, Prince Paul, and Geoff Barrow of Portishead are also on board. So very soon, this track will be remixed with meows and purrs and hisses, because this is what the Internet wants. I mean, look at this promo video.
El-P recently visited an animal shelter for Mass Appeal, to audition cats for the album. And because cats are cats, he didn’t get the best results.
“This is gonna be tough,” El-P laments as sad piano music plays in the background. “They keep showing me their assholes.”
El-P’s forgetting the golden rule of getting cats to meow for your remix album: Pretend you don’t care and they’ll be all over it.
H/T Pitchfork | Screengrab via massappeal/YouTube
Audra Schroeder is the Daily Dot’s senior entertainment writer, and she focuses on streaming, comedy, and music. Her work has previously appeared in the Austin Chronicle, the Dallas Observer, NPR, ESPN, Bitch, and the Village Voice. She is based in Austin, Texas.