- What is the TikTok drink and can you still get it? Thursday 9:27 PM
- “Party, Party, Party” TikTok meme grapples with party culture Thursday 8:43 PM
- Baby Yoda was just added to Sims 4 Thursday 7:54 PM
- Religious conservatives petition Netflix to pull ‘gay Jesus’ Christmas comedy Thursday 7:19 PM
- Kylie Jenner criticized for yet another expensive car post Thursday 5:57 PM
- Apex Legends became a major Pornhub search in 2019 Thursday 5:15 PM
- CBS accidentally interviewed InfoWars host as regular Trump supporter Thursday 4:31 PM
- TLC accused of fatphobia, fetishization with show about ‘mixed-weight’ couples Thursday 3:41 PM
- Betting odds show KSI could fight FaZe Sensei, Jake Paul, or Justin Bieber next Thursday 3:20 PM
- Nick Cannon releases another thirsty Eminem diss track Thursday 2:59 PM
- Dogs at polling stations are helping bark out the vote in the U.K. Thursday 1:00 PM
- Streamers dominated Pornhub searches in 2019 Thursday 12:59 PM
- Pro and anti-boot factions emerge in wake of ‘Wonder Woman 1984’ trailer Thursday 12:31 PM
- The ‘Rise of Skywalker’ press tour has turned into a rehash of ‘The Last Jedi’ Thursday 12:18 PM
- What’s in a TikTok username? Thursday 12:00 PM
Nancy Sinatra trolls Donald Trump with the lyrics to his first dance song
Fun fact: The song is popular at British funeral services.
Many artists have spoken out about Donald Trump’s entertainment selections for his impending inauguration, but Nancy Sinatra is doing it her way.
News broke late Wednesday that Trump had selected Frank Sinatra’s “My Way” for his first dance as president with wife Melania Trump. Though other artists have publicly balked and denied permission to use their songs, Sinatra’s daughter Nancy merely suggested everyone just remember the first line of the song’s lyrics.
That first line, for those of you playing along at home, is: “And now the end is near / and so I face the final curtain.” (“I did what I had to do / and saw it through without exemption” is another one that sticks out after a contentious election season and a flurry of unconfirmed reports about Russian influence.)
Its reminiscing quality has actually made the track a popular choice at British funeral services, the Independent reports. But Sinatra reportedly abhorred singing the track, thinking it was “self-serving and self-indulgent,” according to his daughter Tina.
Also notably, though the song was popularized by Sinatra’s English rendition, the original version is a French song titled “Comme D’habitude” by Claude François that depressingly details a failing marriage.
Nancy Sinatra has been on something of an apology tour on Twitter, saying she’s sorry for being a “smart aleck” and maintaining that she has hope.
But she previously made her opinions on the matter quite clear with a series of tweets denying that her father would ever have agreed to perform at the inauguration.
H/T the Independent
Monica Riese now serves as the Daily Dot’s director of production, having previously been the publication’s entertainment editor and assistant managing editor. She is based in Austin, Texas, and formerly contributed to the Austin Chronicle, where her breaking news work was recognized by the Association of Alternative Newsweeklies.