- People on Twitter ask whose ancestors would’ve passed immigrant ‘wealth test’ Monday 6:54 PM
- Kobe Bryant helicopter crash mocked in teen’s TikTok video Monday 6:38 PM
- Chiefs, Bears, Packers have Twitter accounts hacked Monday 3:48 PM
- Washington Post reporter suspended amid backlash over Kobe Bryant tweet Monday 3:08 PM
- America is united in hating Ken Starr’s impeachment hat Monday 3:01 PM
- In ‘Cuties,’ the contradictions of growing up come to a head Monday 1:55 PM
- Racist tweets blame fruit bat soup for coronavirus Monday 1:25 PM
- What is the #ILeftTheGOP movement? Monday 1:21 PM
- The Grammys were weird and sad—but the Billy Porter hat memes offered some levity Monday 12:36 PM
- Auschwitz Museum calls on Facebook to ban Holocaust denialism Monday 11:59 AM
- YouTuber who said his girlfriend was dead now says he faked it Monday 11:42 AM
- Review: Kentucky Route Zero is one of the most magical games ever made Monday 11:00 AM
- Backlash grows against Clearview as lawsuit looms Monday 10:58 AM
- Tyler the Creator calls out the Grammys for racism over ‘Rap Album’ win Monday 10:25 AM
- Democrats call on John Bolton to testify after book bombshell Monday 9:56 AM
For months on end Fifty Shades of Grey has been fraught with controversy. From argument over depictions of BDSM to feminist groups protesting the movie’s violent nature, just about everyone has an opinion on the film. Christy Carlson Romano is no exception.
After seeing the movie on opening weekend, the former Disney star became troubled with the franchise’s depiction of consent. “Both the film and the novel blur consent by claiming it’s a grey area, when it’s in fact black and white,” the 30-year-old actress told Us Weekly.
The actress was so confident that America would turn up its nose in disapproval over the film’s consent issues that she made a wager with her husband, Brendan Rooney.
If Fifty Shades got knocked off the box office’s top spot on the weekend following its release, he would stand on the balcony of their New York City apartment in only his boxers. If she was proven wrong and Anastasia Steele reigned supreme, she would take to the elements in revealing lingerie.
Sadly, Christian Grey won the box office during its second week in theaters, which meant Ren Stevens had to pony up. “In protest of this misogynistic and misguided film, I’m going to exercise my right of consent and stand outside,” she told YouTube as she embarked into the arctic cold.
For 60 seconds the actress endured harsh temperatures on the balcony in an outfit that would make Mr. Grey blush, all the while holding a poster which bore the hashtag “#Consent.” Despite freezing temperatures, Romano was a good sport and spent the full minute outside before rushing back in to the warmth and falling flat on her butt.
While her protest was noble, the film shows no sign of slowing down.
Greg Seals is a former social media producer and contributing writer for the Daily Dot. He specializes in creating and covering viral content on platforms that include Tumblr, Instagram, Snapchat, and Twitter.