- ‘Eat Them To Defeat Them’ is oddly about vegetables—not about eating the rich 7 Years Ago
- Marco Rubio mocked for filming talking while driving socialism critique Today 2:54 PM
- QAnon believer asks Trump’s campaign press secretary who Q is Today 2:36 PM
- Octavia Spencer has discovered ‘Ma’ memes—and she can’t get enough Today 2:09 PM
- Meet the anti-Greta Thunberg, a climate ‘skeptic’ funded by the oil industry Today 1:12 PM
- Harvey Weinstein convicted of rape and sexual assault Today 12:56 PM
- Senator calls Facebook’s current election disinformation efforts ‘inadequate’ in letter Today 12:11 PM
- The Phillie Phanatic mascot unveils a slimmer makeover Today 11:56 AM
- YouTuber threatened with arrest after rapping about being a girl from Mecca Today 11:55 AM
- Video shows flat-Earther ‘daredevil’ crashing to death after homemade rocket fails Today 11:49 AM
- Cardi B defends Dwyane Wade’s daughter during Instagram Live Today 11:45 AM
- YouTube briefly shuts down beloved ‘lofi hip hop radio’ channel, launching a new meme Today 11:42 AM
- Neil deGrasse Tyson points out that Elsa from ‘Frozen’ has ‘horse-sized eyeballs’ Today 10:58 AM
- Republicans as Sanders rises: Watch out, we may vote for Trump Today 10:54 AM
- Amazon series ‘Hunters’ criticized by Auschwitz Memorial over fictionalized scene Today 10:45 AM
Australian TV star Charlotte Dawson hospitalized after Twitter harassment
Charlotte Dawson, the Australia’s Next Top Model judge who recently fought back against harassment on Twitter, is in the hospital for unknown reasons.
Australian TV star Charlotte Dawson is in the hospital following a barrage of tweets from trolls telling her to kill herself.
It is unclear at this time why Dawson, whose fiancé recently committed suicide, was hospitalized Thursday, but her spokesman told news.com.au that “she is OK.”
Dawson’s last tweets were sent following two TV appearances on Australian TV Wednesday evening to raise bullying awareness..
“Hope this ends the misery,” Dawson tweeted. “You win x.”
Over the past two days Dawson, who is a judge of Australia’s Next Top Model, has been the victim of hundreds of Twitter trolls. She recently struck back at troll Tanya Heti, who allegedly tweeted, “[I]f I was your fiance I’d hang myself too #gohangyourself.”
“She had stupidly posted her business card details. So I emailed her boss, a professor at Monash University,” Dawson told ABC Sydney. “I also rang the girl myself.”
Heti was ultimately fired. But that didn’t discourage the trolls in their attack.
“Should hang herself. Bitched already caused enough trouble and doesn’t deserve that much fame,” @edwardstevens10 tweeted after the firing.
“[O]n behalf of the world would you please go and hang yourself,” added @JimmyRu59985089.
Many of Dawson’s friends have come to her support following the incident.
“No matter whether you ‘like’ them or not, high profile people aren’t immune to feelings and emotions,” Melissa Hoyer, a friend of Dawson’s, told news.com.au. “So when a constant barrage of insults and crap are thrown at them, there comes a time when they say enough is enough.”
Photo by Eva Rinaldi/Flickr
Fernando Alfonso III served as an early Reddit and 4chan reporter and the Daily Dot’s first art director until 2016. He’s gone on to report at Lexington’s Herald-Leader and at the Houston Chronicle.