- Smoke ’em, pass ’em Week 8: Mark Walton szn 4 Years Ago
- Venmo’s first-ever credit card to launch in 2020 4 Years Ago
- Wet Kylo Ren may turn everyone to the dark side Today 3:15 PM
- Man allegedly targeted trans women on dating app, robbed them at knifepoint Today 3:02 PM
- Researchers expose how Amazon Echo and Google Home can steal passwords Today 2:47 PM
- Facebook removing Instagram Story filters that mimic plastic surgery Today 2:16 PM
- Mom solves ‘ghost baby’ image mystery after viral post Today 1:23 PM
- Elon Musk tweeted ‘through space’ Today 1:16 PM
- Don’t want a Fitbit? These step tracker apps got you covered Today 12:51 PM
- Protesters sing ‘Baby Shark’ to soothe frightened toddler Today 12:47 PM
- Who is Babu Frik, the adorable, teeny mechanic from ‘Rise of Skywalker’? Today 12:36 PM
- Senators push for social media data portability Today 12:11 PM
- ‘Stage Fright’ is a therapeutic lens into Jenny Slate’s weird world Today 11:34 AM
- Congressmen call on Twitter to shut down accounts for Hamas, Hezbollah Today 11:12 AM
- How to stream Lakers vs. Clippers Today 11:02 AM
Iggy Azalea and Britney Spears’s ‘Pretty Girls’ video is awful
And it looks like it has the makings to be this year’s song of the summer.
When news of an Iggy Azalea and Britney Spears collaboration first hit the Internet, fans of the singers went considerably nuts, especially when the song they were supposedly working on got leaked ahead of time.
Well, the video for “Pretty Girls” is now available for mass consumption, and it’s a giant mess. Let’s break it down.
The concept of the video—reportedly taking its cue from a sci-fi comedy set in the ’80s about a California teen making friends with three hairy aliens who came to Earth in a spaceship—features Iggy as an outer space chick with beehive hair and laser eyes. The valley girl is played by Brit, and for a while, you kind of dig how she looks, until her character gives Iggy’s a crimp makeover to match her own.
They then decide that it would be a great idea to blow dry their hair in a top-down Jeep.
Once they arrive at the car wash and Brit starts body-groovin’, you eagerly await for her epic moves you know are bound to come because she’s Britney, bitch. All it does, however, is remind you that the “Baby One More Time” video came out in the late ’90s and the fact that this new sequence reminds you of that is kind of sad.
And then there’s some blatant product placement, in the form of a Samsung smartphone morphed from a broken throwback cell phone via laser eye magic. (Am I the only one who thinks an iPhone would have been more fitting?)
And as I play the video again and again to try and find a diamond moment in the rough, a kid approaches me to tell me she likes it, because “it sounds like ‘Fancy.’”
If “Pretty Girls” ends up being 2015’s song of the summer, then we now know why.
Screengrab via BritneySpearsVEVO/YouTube
Jam Kotenko is a technology reporter who specializes in coverage of Instagram, Facebook, and other social media apps. Her work has been published by Digital Trends, Bustle, and Gotta Be Mobile.