- White woman berates Mexican restaurant manager for speaking Spanish Today 4:12 PM
- In Pixar short ‘Kitbull,’ a cat and pit bull become unlikely friends Today 3:48 PM
- Stop exploiting the Jussie Smollett case to discredit LGBTQ hate crime victims Today 3:28 PM
- The best Netflix original movies of 2019 Today 3:20 PM
- Pinterest is reportedly blocking vaccination searches Today 2:53 PM
- Nike’s self-lacing smart sneakers malfunction days after release Today 2:50 PM
- How to quickly get the Havoc weapon in Apex Legends Today 2:48 PM
- The truth behind the anti-LGBTQ emoji controversy Today 1:37 PM
- Tristan Thompson disables Instagram comments after reports he cheated on Khloe Kardashian Today 11:25 AM
- Introducing ‘boner culture,’ this Gamergate blogger’s latest cause Today 11:16 AM
- HBO debuts trailer for controversial Michael Jackson doc ‘Leaving Neverland’ Today 10:46 AM
- Christian woman refuses to do taxes for lesbian married couple Today 10:43 AM
- Political campaigns will be snooping on your phones in 2020 Today 10:43 AM
- How to get the first Apex Legends Twitch Prime pack for free Today 10:28 AM
- Mother discovers YouTube Kids video that encourages self-harm Today 10:14 AM
K-pop star Jennie, of wildly popular group Blackpink, made her solo debut on Monday. Her song is called “Solo,” and it lit up social media and rushed up streaming charts.
The song has over 18.7 million views on YouTube as of Tuesday morning. Jennie, who is 22 years old, is also the first Korean female soloist to hit iTunes Top 10 in the U.S. She also hit No. 1 on Melon, a popular South Korean music streaming service.
With 'SOLO', Jennie becomes the first K-Pop female soloist to rank at #1 on the Worldwide iTunes Song Chart. pic.twitter.com/87Whoy2kRw
— BLACKPINK Charts (@chartsblackpink) November 12, 2018
'SOLO' by JENNIE has achieved its 2nd roof-hit on MelOn as of 9AM KST. pic.twitter.com/zkpSuoP7sU
— BLACKPINK Charts (@chartsblackpink) November 13, 2018
The lyrics are supposed to portray Jennie as a “vulnerable” but also a “powerful, independent woman,” she told the Korea Times.
Her fans are obsessed with her beautiful outfits in the music video.
— mae (@chaelisugh) November 12, 2018
omg there realy are 20 amazing outfits in 3 minutes
— Zoom Zoom103 (@Zoom_Zoom103) November 12, 2018
Others are celebrating how amazing she looks.
— Vanessa☾✦ (@GUCCICORBYNS) November 12, 2018
— sara (@wegotnotear) November 12, 2018
as expected from queen jennie pic.twitter.com/afhl7EGYIL
— #SOLO (@roseannenator) November 12, 2018
stream solo pic.twitter.com/MHRHBGXXaI
— sova #mono #solo #xx (@rubyjsova) November 12, 2018
— Ngan Nguyen (@Ngannguyen23) November 12, 2018
Jennie revealed her “Solo” performance at Blackpink’s first Seoul show at the Olympic Gymnastics Arena over the weekend, according to the Korea Times.
Blackpink debuted in 2016 with hits “Whitsle” and “Boombayah,” which has received over 417 million views on YouTube. The two songs also hit No. 1 on the world digital songs chart, according to Billboard.
Blackpink will have its first world tour, “2019 In Your Area,” from January to March in Bangkok, Jakarta, Hong Kong, Manila, Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, and Taipei.
H/T Korea Times
Sunny Kim studies journalism at the University of Texas at Austin. She's an editorial intern with the Daily Dot. Her work has appeared in the Daily Texan and Popular Mechanics.