- Curvy Wife Guy drops music video for rap song ‘Chubby Sexy’ Friday 7:33 PM
- A ‘Black Mirror’ spinoff mini-series is coming to YouTube via Netflix Latin America Friday 5:56 PM
- Kanye West appears on David Letterman’s Netflix show to talk Trump, TMZ, and Drake Friday 3:27 PM
- QAnon believers link small-town arrest to deep state conspiracy without evidence Friday 1:58 PM
- Instagram photos showing prison conditions spark massive protest Friday 1:33 PM
- ‘Gay rat wedding’ headline sparks amazing new meme Friday 1:03 PM
- ‘I read a gossip piece’ meme mocks Moby’s Instagram post Friday 12:39 PM
- Rotten Tomatoes wants to see your ticket stub to leave a verified review Friday 11:46 AM
- ‘Sonic the Hedgehog’ movie delayed to 2020 to fix his look Friday 11:39 AM
- ‘Swamp Thing’ gets off to a promising start, but can it tell a convincing love story? Friday 11:34 AM
- ‘Falling on deaf ears’: ‘Queer Eye’ star sparks conversation about ableist idioms Friday 11:15 AM
- Parents are spending thousands on YouTube camps that teach kids how to be famous Friday 10:43 AM
- In season 2 of ‘She’s Gotta Have It,’ Spike Lee remains unapologetically himself Friday 10:36 AM
- Trump selling Pride shirts is a grotesque insult to the LGBTQ community Friday 10:27 AM
- Logan Paul is being mocked for pulling out of slapping competition Friday 9:57 AM
K-pop star Jennie, of wildly popular group Blackpink, made her solo debut on Monday. Her song is called “Solo,” and it lit up social media and rushed up streaming charts.
The song has over 18.7 million views on YouTube as of Tuesday morning. Jennie, who is 22 years old, is also the first Korean female soloist to hit iTunes Top 10 in the U.S. She also hit No. 1 on Melon, a popular South Korean music streaming service.
With 'SOLO', Jennie becomes the first K-Pop female soloist to rank at #1 on the Worldwide iTunes Song Chart. pic.twitter.com/87Whoy2kRw
— BLACKPINK Charts (@chartsblackpink) November 12, 2018
'SOLO' by JENNIE has achieved its 2nd roof-hit on MelOn as of 9AM KST. pic.twitter.com/zkpSuoP7sU
— BLACKPINK Charts (@chartsblackpink) November 13, 2018
The lyrics are supposed to portray Jennie as a “vulnerable” but also a “powerful, independent woman,” she told the Korea Times.
Her fans are obsessed with her beautiful outfits in the music video.
— mae (@chaelisugh) November 12, 2018
omg there realy are 20 amazing outfits in 3 minutes
— Zoom Zoom103 (@Zoom_Zoom103) November 12, 2018
Others are celebrating how amazing she looks.
— Vanessa❤︎ (@GUCCICORBYNS) November 12, 2018
— sara (@wegotnotear) November 12, 2018
as expected from queen jennie pic.twitter.com/afhl7EGYIL
— #SOLO (@roseannenator) November 12, 2018
stream solo pic.twitter.com/MHRHBGXXaI
— sova #mono #solo #xx (@rubyjsova) November 12, 2018
— Ngan Nguyen (@Ngannguyen23) November 12, 2018
Jennie revealed her “Solo” performance at Blackpink’s first Seoul show at the Olympic Gymnastics Arena over the weekend, according to the Korea Times.
Blackpink debuted in 2016 with hits “Whitsle” and “Boombayah,” which has received over 417 million views on YouTube. The two songs also hit No. 1 on the world digital songs chart, according to Billboard.
Blackpink will have its first world tour, “2019 In Your Area,” from January to March in Bangkok, Jakarta, Hong Kong, Manila, Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, and Taipei.
H/T Korea Times
Sunny Kim studies journalism at the University of Texas at Austin. She's an editorial intern with the Daily Dot. Her work has appeared in the Daily Texan and Popular Mechanics.