- The first professional U.S. transgender boxer just won his first fight 4 Weeks Ago
- Twitch streamer apparently hits partner on video 4 Weeks Ago
- There’s now rehab for Fortnite addiction Today 12:07 PM
- How to watch América vs. Pumas online for free Today 11:25 AM
- ‘Target Tammy’ is the latest white woman to complain about Black people minding their own business Today 11:08 AM
- Jason Momoa reprises ‘Game of Thrones’ character on ‘SNL’ Today 10:06 AM
- How to watch the epic Copa Libertadores final online for free Today 9:35 AM
- The top fandoms of 2018 Today 8:00 AM
- How to watch Real Madrid vs. Huesca online for free Today 6:40 AM
- What is Sling TV? Today 6:15 AM
- A year of apologizing to the internet Today 6:15 AM
- How to stream NFL’s Week 14 games for free Today 6:00 AM
- John Kelly will be leaving the White House, and Twitter reacted exactly as expected Saturday 6:12 PM
- Shonen Jump manga is going (mostly) free to combat piracy Saturday 5:14 PM
- ‘Death Grips is online’ is trending, so what does it mean? Saturday 4:33 PM
K-pop star Jennie, of wildly popular group Blackpink, made her solo debut on Monday. Her song is called “Solo,” and it lit up social media and rushed up streaming charts.
The song has over 18.7 million views on YouTube as of Tuesday morning. Jennie, who is 22 years old, is also the first Korean female soloist to hit iTunes Top 10 in the U.S. She also hit No. 1 on Melon, a popular South Korean music streaming service.
With 'SOLO', Jennie becomes the first K-Pop female soloist to rank at #1 on the Worldwide iTunes Song Chart. pic.twitter.com/87Whoy2kRw
— BLACKPINK Charts (@chartsblackpink) November 12, 2018
'SOLO' by JENNIE has achieved its 2nd roof-hit on MelOn as of 9AM KST. pic.twitter.com/zkpSuoP7sU
— BLACKPINK Charts (@chartsblackpink) November 13, 2018
The lyrics are supposed to portray Jennie as a “vulnerable” but also a “powerful, independent woman,” she told the Korea Times.
Her fans are obsessed with her beautiful outfits in the music video.
— mae (@chaelisugh) November 12, 2018
omg there realy are 20 amazing outfits in 3 minutes
— Zoom Zoom103 (@Zoom_Zoom103) November 12, 2018
Thank you😍😍🙏🙏 I really appreciate it😭😭🙏🙏❤❤
— YUKA-K🖤💗 (@ukacolovesBP820) November 12, 2018
Others are celebrating how amazing she looks.
— Vanessa•ia (@SweetncrStyles) November 12, 2018
— sara (@wegotnotear) November 12, 2018
as expected from queen jennie pic.twitter.com/afhl7EGYIL
— #SOLO (@roseannenator) November 12, 2018
stream solo pic.twitter.com/MHRHBGXXaI
— sova #mono #solo #xx (@rubyjsova) November 12, 2018
— Ang. #RBB (@ychnglw) November 12, 2018
— Ngan Nguyen (@Ngannguyen23) November 12, 2018
Queen Jen 💗🔥
— Khimmy 🙃🤙🏻 (@likhimmy2797) November 12, 2018
Jennie revealed her “Solo” performance at Blackpink’s first Seoul show at the Olympic Gymnastics Arena over the weekend, according to the Korea Times.
Blackpink debuted in 2016 with hits “Whitsle” and “Boombayah,” which has received over 417 million views on YouTube. The two songs also hit No. 1 on the world digital songs chart, according to Billboard.
Blackpink will have its first world tour, “2019 In Your Area,” from January to March in Bangkok, Jakarta, Hong Kong, Manila, Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, and Taipei.
H/T Korea Times
Sunny Kim studies journalism at the University of Texas at Austin. She's an editorial intern with the Daily Dot. Her work has appeared in the Daily Texan and Popular Mechanics.