- Offset interrupted Cardi B’s set at Rolling Loud Festival, and fans are pissed 5 Years Ago
- ‘Ms. Marvel’ gets a new, award-winning writer in Saladin Ahmed Today 11:32 AM
- ‘SNL’ gives us the daddy pageant we’ve been dying for Today 10:28 AM
- How pranksters fooled the internet in 2018 Today 8:00 AM
- 2018 belonged to trans people Today 6:30 AM
- How to watch local channels on Roku Today 6:30 AM
- How to watch Levante vs. Barcelona online for free Today 6:19 AM
- How to watch Liverpool vs. Manchester United online for free Today 6:00 AM
- The best couch co-op video games for couples Today 6:00 AM
- Pete Davidson is OK and at work following alarming Instagram post Saturday 7:26 PM
- Wisconsin Governor Scott Walker doesn’t know how to use a Venn diagram Saturday 5:38 PM
- This college student made a movie trailer to tease her boyfriend, and Twitter can’t get enough (updated) Saturday 3:13 PM
- ‘Kappa Delta Crypto’ aims to break stereotypes in five-minute Snapchat episodes Saturday 2:29 PM
- Two iPhone X customers are suing Apple over screen size Saturday 1:18 PM
- Secretary Ryan Zinke is out at the Department of the Interior Saturday 12:03 PM
Bill Nye wows the crowd with ‘Weird Science’ in ‘Dancing With the Stars’ debut
Nye did the cha-cha to ‘Weird Science’ with dance partner Tyne Stecklein.
He embraced the campiness associated with the show and performed the cha-cha to a rather fitting “Weird Science” with an elaborate chemistry lab set up on stage. It wasn’t the smoothest performance of the night, but it was weirdly wonderful to watch.
Although judge Carrie Ann Inaba called Nye “the heart of the show,” she and the other judges weren’t as impressed with his performance with professional dancer Tyne Stecklein and gave them the lowest score of the night.
Maybe Nye and Stecklein just need to work on their… well, chemistry. As Nye told his partner at the beginning of the episode, “It looks like the successful couples have that—I mean, frankly, it’s sexual tension. From an evolutionary standpoint.”
Despite his early stumble with the judges, Nye scored big with the audience, who welcomed him with the familiar Science Guy chant of “Bill, Bill, Bill, Bill!” The hivemind at Reddit‘s r/videos predicts that Nye will get through week after week with the fan vote, and the ultimate narrative will be determined by how far he gets on the show.
The first elimination doesn’t happen until next week, but when you start at the bottom, there’s nowhere to go but up.
Photo via TheVocalVault/YouTube
Michelle Jaworski is a staff writer and the resident Game of Thrones expert at the Daily Dot. She covers entertainment, geek culture, and pop culture and has brought her knowledge to conventions like Con of Thrones. She is based in New Jersey.