- Multimillion-dollar ‘Farming Simulator’ franchise enters world of esports Wednesday 7:38 PM
- Sandra Bullock, Chris McKay are making Netflix comic film ‘Reborn’ Wednesday 7:22 PM
- Instagram revokes Venezuelan President Nicolás Maduro’s verified status Wednesday 5:23 PM
- Transgender people suffer when debates over their rights are framed as ‘distractions’ Wednesday 4:57 PM
- Hulu with Live TV just hiked its prices Wednesday 4:05 PM
- Hacker infiltrates Nest cameras to gain PewDiePie subscribers Wednesday 2:37 PM
- YouTube time traveler claims MLK’s granddaughter will be the last U.S. president Wednesday 2:30 PM
- Media coverage of Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez’s Twitch cameo erases Chelsea Manning Wednesday 1:39 PM
- New Alexa skill lets you sing with Queen’s Freddie Mercury Wednesday 1:13 PM
- Netflix is the first streaming platform to join MPAA Wednesday 12:59 PM
- Can you spot an email from a hacker? Wednesday 12:46 PM
- Gina Rodriguez cries over being called anti-Black, gets dragged for ‘fake tears’ Wednesday 12:21 PM
- Boots Riley explains why he got snubbed by the Oscars Wednesday 12:20 PM
- Review: ‘Buffy’ returns with a modern comic book reboot Wednesday 11:47 AM
- You’re about to see a lot more Netflix on your Instagram Wednesday 11:32 AM
Bieber girlfriend contest spawns Overly Attached Girlfriend meme
Justin Bieber’s contest to launch his perfume leverages his fans’ love. Too bad there’s already a fragrance called “Obsession.”
YouTuber wzr0713 probably won’t win Justin Bieber’s singing contest, but she’s already won Reddit’s heart by spawning a new meme.
Titled “JB Fanvideo,” wzr0713 follows Beiber’s directions for his new fragrance contest to the T: she makes her own version of “Boyfriend” but with an intentionally creepy twist.
After staring eerily into the camera with her mouth agape for nine seconds, wzr0713 launches into her own rendition of “Girlfriend.” The lyrics are as creepy and clingy as they come:
“I’ll always be checking up on you. Hey boy, who you talking to? If I was your girlfriend, I’d never let you leave—without a small recording device, taped under your sleeve.”
“The modern Every Breath you take right there!,” STINGNL wrote on YouTube.
Within twelve hours of being linked on Reddit, “JB Fanvideo” hit the front page, meaning it’s only a matter of time before wzr0713’s rhymes spread throughout the Internet.
At some point this morning, the “Overly Attached Girlfriend” meme was born, based on a still from wzr0713’s video entry.
The first image macro created on quickmeme says, “I sewed my name on all your shirts, in case you forgot you’re taken.”
At press time, the image had been viewed more than 300,000 times, and inspired more than 175 other image macros in five hours.
Photo via wzr0713
Fruzsina Eördögh was the Daily Dot's first YouTube reporter. In addition to working as a producer for the now-defunct digital channel TouchVision TV, Eördögh has been published by Vice, the Christian Science Monitor, the Guardian, Variety, and Slate.