- Man cuts his books in half to make them ‘portable,’ spurs online debate Tuesday 6:09 PM
- Fans defend Lana Del Rey after she was mocked for flying commercial Tuesday 5:10 PM
- Lady Gaga fans find alleged new song name in her website’s code Tuesday 4:42 PM
- Barstool Sports deletes anti-union tweets, blog post in settlement Tuesday 3:47 PM
- The ‘can have … as a treat’ meme has come full circle Tuesday 3:09 PM
- Joe Rogan says he’s voting for Bernie Sanders Tuesday 2:54 PM
- Woman spots mole in man’s TikTok video, saves him from cancer Tuesday 2:17 PM
- ‘You’ star confirms his character is queer and ‘never will be’ straight Tuesday 1:08 PM
- This Twitch streamer pooped his pants during a broadcast Tuesday 12:17 PM
- Apple’s iCloud encryption plan halted amid FBI pressure, report Tuesday 10:57 AM
- Glenn Greenwald charged with cybercrimes in Brazil Tuesday 10:48 AM
- BadBunny rips her fans for not sending her enough money Tuesday 10:06 AM
- White rapper punched in the face for saying the N-word during battle Tuesday 9:21 AM
- Hillary Clinton blasts Bernie Sanders, says ‘nobody likes him’ Tuesday 8:57 AM
- Someone found Harry Styles’ doppelganger—and TikTok is obsessed Tuesday 8:08 AM
YouTube star Bethany Mota capitalizes on ‘Dancing With The Stars’ profile with new single
‘Need You Right Now’ is definitive dance-pop for teens.
Mota, the super popular YouTuber who normally talks fashion on her channel, branched out this year by appearing on Dancing With The Stars, and is now releasing her first single, “Need You Right Now.”
It quickly jumped to the top of the Billboard Twitter Trending Charts, surpassing musical heavyweights Ed Sheeran and Taylor Swift. The single features Mike Tompkins, a fellow YouTuber who has toured with The Jonas Brothers, as a singer and producer. It’s a dance track with very teenager-appropriate lyrics, like “I need you right now, I can’t wait for you, lost beyond the circle of our hearts,” and “second guess every second looking at my phone.” Mota clearly knows her audience.
Mota isn’t the first YouTuber to go pop. Earlier this summer fellow vlogger Troye Sivan released his first album to a top 10 debut and much fan buzz. Mota has an exciting additional platform for her music with her ongoing Dancing With The Stars appearances. Perhaps she can work it into a waltz in an upcoming episode.
Screengrab via Bethany Mota / YouTube
A former YouTube reporter for the Daily Dot, Rae Votta has more than a decade of experience in the digital and entertainment industries. Her work has appeared on AOL, Huffington Post, Out Magazine, Logo, VH1, Current TV, Billboard, and NYMag. She joined Netflix in 2016.