- Get more out of VSCO with VSCO search 2 Months Ago
- Twitter carves out ‘cause-based’ advocacy exemption in political ads ban 2 Months Ago
- Disney+ accounts are being hacked—here’s how to protect yourself 2 Months Ago
- Instagram is hiding likes globally and searching for a ‘well-being’ product researcher 2 Months Ago
- ‘The Mandalorian’ opens up its mythology even further in ‘Chapter 2’ Today 12:54 PM
- Want to buy a drone on a budget? We’ve got you covered Today 12:51 PM
- ‘Simpsons’ writer accuses Republicans of stealing Sideshow Bob’s defense Today 12:49 PM
- Keanu Reeves’ appearance in ‘SpongeBob Movie’ trailer quickly becomes a meme Today 12:35 PM
- Charli XCX makes the band in Netflix’s ‘Nasty Cherry’ Today 12:33 PM
- Taylor Swift’s distress call reignites fight with Scooter Braun and former label Today 12:16 PM
- How to disable autoplay for previews and trailers on Disney+ Today 12:10 PM
- Trump accused of witness intimidation for tweets during impeachment hearing Today 11:48 AM
- Roger Stone convicted Today 11:34 AM
- FCC to replace comment system that got spammed during net neutrality fight Today 11:31 AM
- How to stream Mexico vs. Panama live in Concacaf Nations League Today 11:05 AM
It’s been a fantastic year for anime. Take, for instance, season five of Jojo’s Bizarre Adventure and the second installment of One-Punch Man—our favorite shows truly have not disappointed. However, 2019’s not over yet. In addition to those already released, we have quite a few upcoming anime installments to look forward to.
Here, in order of release date, are the best upcoming anime shows of 2019.
The 10 Best Anime Series on Netflix:
Best upcoming anime 2019
Release date: Oct. 5
Firstly, there’s a brand-new fantasy anime in town. Secondly, it takes place in Ancient Babylonia. Adapted from mobile RPG Fate/Grand Order, Babylonia will follow heroes Ritsuka Fujimaru and Mash Kyrielight as they fight to keep humanity alive. Ritsuka and Mash battle mystical beasts threatening the city of Uruk and explore the motives of the three gods behind the invasion. However, a mysterious power separate from the three is awakening.
Season: 3, “Kamigami no Gekirin”/”Wrath of the Gods”
Release date: Oct. 9
Nanatsu no Taizai centers on the Seven Deadly Sins, a group of disgraced criminals once part of a holy order. They were originally divine knights serving the kingdom of Liones, but they were framed for the assassination of the Great Holy Knight, Zaratras. Seasons one and two tell the tale of the Sins regrouping under the leadership of Princess Elizabeth Liones. They fight to free the kingdom from tyranny. Consequently, season three will follow their struggle against the Ten Commandments.
Release date: Oct. 12
One of the most beloved anime series out right now, My Hero Academia is about Izuku Midoriya. Midoriya is a teenage boy with a heart of gold graced with superpowers by the great hero All Might. Seasons one through three traced Midoriya’s path from “quirkless” boy to budding hero. During those seasons, he and his classmates at the hero high school, U.A., learn to wield their powers for good. Now, season four will undoubtedly ramp up the action as both heroes and villains grow in power and ferocity.
The 10 Best Anime Movies on Hulu:
Season: 3 (part 2), “Alicization: War of Underworld”
Release date: Oct. 12
In the year 2022, thousands of gamers in Sword Art Online get trapped in a massively multiplayer online role-playing game, or MMORPG, of the same name. They are unable to log out of this virtual reality world, so the players realize they must defeat the game’s terrifying boss or never return to their bodies again. The second installment of this anime’s third season will follow protagonists Alice and Kirito as they try to make their way back to the real world.
Season: 4, “Shin no Sara”/”The Plate of God”
Release date: Oct. 12
Meet Soma Yukihira, a young chef whose ambitions of taking over the family diner crumbled when his father forced him into top-tier cooking school. Faced with a daunting 1% graduation rate, he pushed himself for three seasons to defend his spot at Totsuki Culinary Academy. Now, in season four, Yukihira’s culinary skills will be tested more stringently than ever before. Next, he takes on the esteemed master chefs of the Elite Ten.
Release date: Oct. 23
Originally scheduled to air this past April, season three of Chihayafuru will raise the stakes for its titular character, Chihaya Ayase. Chihaya has an abiding passion for the Japanese card game karuta. After finally being reunited with the boy who taught her to play, she dreams of becoming the most skilled karuta player in Japan. This upcoming anime season will focus on Chihaya and her friends as they hone their abilities and compete to become the best players they can be.
Release date: October
Cyberpunk anime franchise Psycho-Pass just released its third and final film installment in Japan. Now, the show’s getting a third season, complete with new characters Arata Shindo and Kei Mikhail Ignatov. Season three will likely portray the struggles of these characters in Psycho-Pass‘ dystopian world. Surrounded by sensors that scan and rate citizens on their probability of becoming criminals, these new characters will have to struggle to stay alive and unscathed.
Anna Maria Ward is the social media editor of the Daily Dot. Her work focuses on the intersections of entertainment, pop culture, and social justice. She previously contributed to the Houston Chronicle and Orange magazine.