- The new ‘Hunger Games’ book paints President Snow as a hero—and people are not happy Tuesday 9:03 PM
- Influencer called out for ‘troubling image’ with Kenyan child Tuesday 8:18 PM
- Professor arrested for spending $185K of grant money on iTunes and strippers Tuesday 7:28 PM
- Man cuts his books in half to make them ‘portable,’ spurs online debate Tuesday 6:09 PM
- Fans defend Lana Del Rey after she was mocked for flying commercial Tuesday 5:10 PM
- Lady Gaga fans find alleged new song name in her website’s code Tuesday 4:42 PM
- Barstool Sports deletes anti-union tweets, blog post in settlement Tuesday 3:47 PM
- The ‘can have … as a treat’ meme has come full circle Tuesday 3:09 PM
- Joe Rogan says he’s voting for Bernie Sanders Tuesday 2:54 PM
- Woman spots mole in man’s TikTok video, saves him from cancer Tuesday 2:17 PM
- ‘You’ star confirms his character is queer and ‘never will be’ straight Tuesday 1:08 PM
- This Twitch streamer pooped his pants during a broadcast Tuesday 12:17 PM
- Apple’s iCloud encryption plan halted amid FBI pressure, report Tuesday 10:57 AM
- Glenn Greenwald charged with cybercrimes in Brazil Tuesday 10:48 AM
- BadBunny rips her fans for not sending her enough money Tuesday 10:06 AM
It’s been a fantastic year for anime. Take, for instance, season five of Jojo’s Bizarre Adventure and the second installment of One-Punch Man—our favorite shows truly have not disappointed. However, 2019’s not over yet. In addition to those already released, we have quite a few upcoming anime installments to look forward to.
Here, in order of release date, are the best upcoming anime shows of 2019.
The 10 Best Anime Series on Netflix:
Best upcoming anime 2019
Release date: Oct. 5
Firstly, there’s a brand-new fantasy anime in town. Secondly, it takes place in Ancient Babylonia. Adapted from mobile RPG Fate/Grand Order, Babylonia will follow heroes Ritsuka Fujimaru and Mash Kyrielight as they fight to keep humanity alive. Ritsuka and Mash battle mystical beasts threatening the city of Uruk and explore the motives of the three gods behind the invasion. However, a mysterious power separate from the three is awakening.
Season: 3, “Kamigami no Gekirin”/”Wrath of the Gods”
Release date: Oct. 9
Nanatsu no Taizai centers on the Seven Deadly Sins, a group of disgraced criminals once part of a holy order. They were originally divine knights serving the kingdom of Liones, but they were framed for the assassination of the Great Holy Knight, Zaratras. Seasons one and two tell the tale of the Sins regrouping under the leadership of Princess Elizabeth Liones. They fight to free the kingdom from tyranny. Consequently, season three will follow their struggle against the Ten Commandments.
Release date: Oct. 12
One of the most beloved anime series out right now, My Hero Academia is about Izuku Midoriya. Midoriya is a teenage boy with a heart of gold graced with superpowers by the great hero All Might. Seasons one through three traced Midoriya’s path from “quirkless” boy to budding hero. During those seasons, he and his classmates at the hero high school, U.A., learn to wield their powers for good. Now, season four will undoubtedly ramp up the action as both heroes and villains grow in power and ferocity.
The 10 Best Anime Movies on Hulu:
Season: 3 (part 2), “Alicization: War of Underworld”
Release date: Oct. 12
In the year 2022, thousands of gamers in Sword Art Online get trapped in a massively multiplayer online role-playing game, or MMORPG, of the same name. They are unable to log out of this virtual reality world, so the players realize they must defeat the game’s terrifying boss or never return to their bodies again. The second installment of this anime’s third season will follow protagonists Alice and Kirito as they try to make their way back to the real world.
Season: 4, “Shin no Sara”/”The Plate of God”
Release date: Oct. 12
Meet Soma Yukihira, a young chef whose ambitions of taking over the family diner crumbled when his father forced him into top-tier cooking school. Faced with a daunting 1% graduation rate, he pushed himself for three seasons to defend his spot at Totsuki Culinary Academy. Now, in season four, Yukihira’s culinary skills will be tested more stringently than ever before. Next, he takes on the esteemed master chefs of the Elite Ten.
Release date: Oct. 23
Originally scheduled to air this past April, season three of Chihayafuru will raise the stakes for its titular character, Chihaya Ayase. Chihaya has an abiding passion for the Japanese card game karuta. After finally being reunited with the boy who taught her to play, she dreams of becoming the most skilled karuta player in Japan. This upcoming anime season will focus on Chihaya and her friends as they hone their abilities and compete to become the best players they can be.
Release date: October
Cyberpunk anime franchise Psycho-Pass just released its third and final film installment in Japan. Now, the show’s getting a third season, complete with new characters Arata Shindo and Kei Mikhail Ignatov. Season three will likely portray the struggles of these characters in Psycho-Pass‘ dystopian world. Surrounded by sensors that scan and rate citizens on their probability of becoming criminals, these new characters will have to struggle to stay alive and unscathed.
Anna Maria Ward is the social media editor of the Daily Dot. Her work focuses on the intersections of entertainment, pop culture, and social justice. She previously contributed to the Houston Chronicle and Orange magazine.