- Did Muslims on Twitter already figure out the twist ending to Netflix’s ‘Messiah’? 5 Years Ago
- How ‘Knives Out’ costume designer Jenny Eagan crafted the coziest film of 2019 5 Years Ago
- Photo of Uber office bathrooms renews concerns about treatment of drivers 5 Years Ago
- Netflix’s ‘Holiday Rush’ is a fun Christmas movie to unwrap and forget 5 Years Ago
- Tom Holland on the ‘drunk’ phone call that led to Spider-Man staying in the MCU Today 10:47 AM
- Artist banned from Twitch for drawing Alinity Divine’s dog sniffing her butt Today 10:13 AM
- Republicans are still angry over a Barron Trump impeachment joke Today 9:12 AM
- Pelosi calls for House to proceed with impeachment against Trump Today 8:51 AM
- Justin Timberlake posts apology amid cheating rumor Today 7:51 AM
- ‘The Expanse’ makes a triumphant return with season 4 Today 6:30 AM
- ‘A Christmas Prince: The Royal Baby’ is a disappointing sequel Today 5:00 AM
- Spanish ‘Big Brother’ contestant forced to watch footage of her own alleged sexual assault Today 12:35 AM
- There’s a lot you can say during sex and also while at Disney World Wednesday 9:34 PM
- Peloton shows 3 positive emails and a Facebook post to prove its ad wasn’t cringe Wednesday 8:23 PM
- Bhad Bhabie accused of cultural appropriation, then criticized Black women with her defense Wednesday 7:23 PM
AwesomenessTV launches record label with Universal, Russell Simmons
Awesomeness Music’s first major output is scheduled to arrive in August.
BY SAM GUTELLE
AwesomenessTV already runs a multi-channel YouTube network, a DreamWorks-branded YouTube channel, and a TV show on Nickelodeon. Now, it can add a record label to its assets. AwesomenessTV has teamed up with Universal Music, Loud Records founder Steve Rifkind, and music mogul Russell Simmons to form Awesomeness Music, which will distribute records from the network’s musical partners.
Awesomeness Music currently works with two of the network’s partners: sisterly a cappella group Cimorelli and teenage singer Niykee Heaton. Both of those artists are slated to release albums in the upcoming month, and Awesomeness Music also hopes to add new faces to its roster. The AwesomenessTV network contains no shortage of musical creators; its partners include Austin Mahone, Taryn Southern, and The Vamps.
Awesomeness Music deepens an existing relationship between AwesomenessTV, Universal, Rifkind, and Simmons. Last year, they all teamed up to launch All Def Music, a YouTube network based off Simmons’ All Def Digital. While that network searched for unheralded musical acts, Awesomeness Music will instead focus on the charismatic personalities of YouTube stars. “The MCN world has made it easier to do street marketing,” said Rifkind, “it’s making stars overnight with the press of a button.”
For AwesomenessTV, the appeal of its own music label is clear. Awesomeness Music opens up new revenue streams for online video creators and strengthens the network’s relationship with Universal, which has feuded with YouTube networks in the past.
The new label’s first major output is scheduled to arrive in August, when Heaton will release her debut EP.
Screengrab via Niykee Heaton/YouTube