- Laura Ingraham, Dinesh D’Souza slam journalist for having a job 4 Years Ago
- Netflix is testing a cheap-as-hell mobile-only plan Today 1:08 PM
- Astrology app Co-Star’s bizarre push notifications are now a meme Today 12:18 PM
- ‘The Dirt’ offers a sanitized history of Mötley Crüe—but why? Today 11:42 AM
- ‘The Dirt’ director Jeff Tremaine on Mötley Crüe’s long, difficult road to Netflix Today 11:30 AM
- Here’s video of yet another alleged gunman looking for YouTuber Adam22 Today 11:09 AM
- 12 mugs that are absolutely purr-fect for cat enthusiasts Today 10:58 AM
- Jared Kushner used WhatsApp for official White House business Today 10:50 AM
- Unsettled Tom memes are on the rise Today 10:36 AM
- Trans student nominated for prom king told by administration to run for queen Today 10:07 AM
- Trump turns on his favorite cable news network Today 8:56 AM
- Skillshare is offering new users one month of premium for less than $1 Today 8:34 AM
- How to stream Bellator 218 for free Today 8:00 AM
- Jordan Peele’s ‘Us’ is already a meme gold mine Today 7:18 AM
- ‘Queen’s Shadow’ is a brilliant character study into a ‘Star Wars’ fan favorite Today 7:00 AM
Vanilla Ice to play Mark Twain in Adam Sandler’s first Netflix movie
Appropriately, Adam Sandler’s Netflix movie has the word “ridiculous” in the title.
The first movie in Adam Sandler’s Netflix contract is called Ridiculous 6, which sounds like a pretty accurate title already. For one thing, he’s cast Vanilla Ice as iconic American author Mark Twain. Vanilla Ice. Just let that percolate for a minute.
Ridiculous 6 is not a sequel to a series of earlier Ridiculous movies, but is a parody of Westerns like The Magnificent Seven. (Incidentally, Quentin Tarantino has a Western called The Hateful Eight coming out later this year. Don’t get these two movies confused.)
Sandler recently signed a four-picture deal with Netflix, which is branching out into in-house movie production. In the original announcement, Sandler said, “I immediately said yes for one reason and one reason only… Netflix rhymes with Wet Chicks.”
Aside from Vanilla Ice’s more minor role as Mark Twain, Ridiculous 6 stars Adam Sandler as a man who grew up in a Native American tribe, with Taylor Lautner, Rob Schneider, and Luke Wilson playing his half-brothers. The cast also includes a whole host of other well-known actors including Nick Nolte, Danny Trejo, Steve Buscemi, and Dan Aykroyd. TV personality and country singer Blake Shelton will play Wyatt Earp, just in case the Vanilla Ice stunt casting wasn’t enough.
Your Netflix subscription is paying for this.
Photo via oneras/Wikimedia (CC BY SA 2.0)
Gavia Baker-Whitelaw is a staff writer at the Daily Dot, covering geek culture and fandom. Specializing in sci-fi movies and superheroes, she also appears as a film and TV critic on BBC radio. Elsewhere, she co-hosts the pop culture podcast Overinvested.