- How to watch ‘Charmed’ online for free 5 Years Ago
- How to watch Patriots vs. Chiefs online for free 5 Years Ago
- This is the ‘Star Wars’ VR experience you’re looking for Today 8:00 AM
- ‘Salt Fat Acid Heat’ takes viewers on a journey through the four building blocks of a great dish Today 7:00 AM
- How to tell the deep web from the dark web Today 7:00 AM
- How to watch the Saints vs. Rams online for free Today 6:15 AM
- How to watch ‘Supergirl’ online for free Today 6:00 AM
- How to stream the NFL conference championship games Today 5:00 AM
- How to watch Barcelona vs. Leganes online for free Today 1:00 AM
- Daily Stormer founder to turn over personal, financial information in lawsuit Saturday 8:51 PM
- Ariana Grande’s ‘7 Rings’ courts controversy Saturday 6:19 PM
- Crowd of MAGA teens attempts to intimidate Native American protester Saturday 4:13 PM
- ‘Generously buttered noodles’ is the bizarre, wholesome meme you didn’t know you needed Saturday 2:07 PM
- All of Machinima’s YouTube videos are gone, stunning creators and fans (updated) Saturday 1:14 PM
- Photo of federal workers conjures Great Depression Saturday 12:24 PM
4chan hilariously derailed Tom Hardy’s AMA, and here’s why
Chances are, the actor best know for playing Bane won’t be coming back.
The AMA, which launched Wednesday afternoon, featured director Steven Knight and actor Tom Hardy, best known for his role as Bane in the 2012 blockbuster The Dark Knight Rises.
As has become the case with most Reddit AMAs these days, the goal was self-promotion. Knight’s latest film LOCKE, a story “about a man on a journey driven by principle and haunted by consequences of a single mistake,” premieres on April 25.
Hardy had made his own haunting “mistake,” at least according to 4chan’s television board /tv/. It happened in the spring of 2011.
That’s when Hardy was playing the mask wearing marauder Bane in Christopher Nolan’s final Batman installment. The film opens with Bane hijacking an airliner with government agents aboard. It is this odd scene between Bane and a CIA agent played by actor Aidan Gillen that has made Hardy a /tv/ punchline.
This was the birth of the “You’re a big guy. For you” meme, which pilloried Bane’s voice was the The Dark Knight Rises’ editing. (For full size images of the screengrabs below, check out this album here).
/Tv/ could not resist asking Hardy about this scene. The following are some of the questions he and Knight answered unaware that they were from some 4chan pranksters.
By the time Reddit moderators discovered the bogus questions, they made quick work of deleting everything, leaving behind a content graveyard.
/Tv/ was exceptionally pleased.
One of Reddit’s r/IamA moderators allegedly took to /tv/ to scold the community for ruining the AMA.
This isn’t the first time 4chan users have raided a celebrity AMA.
In May 4chan’s random imageboard /b/ bombarded a Reddit-powered contest thrown by actor Samuel L. Jackson with the popular copypasta of a macho Navy Seal “involved in numerous secret raids on Al-Qaeda.”
Since this incident, Jackson has not returned to Reddit. Chances are, Hardy, who is known for being squeamish about the Internet, will follow suit.
Photo via comicvine
Fernando Alfonso III served as an early Reddit and 4chan reporter and the Daily Dot’s first art director until 2016. He’s gone on to report at Lexington’s Herald-Leader and at the Houston Chronicle.